2012 bcuk Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Have just been talking to Becky at Bushcraft Expeditions about the flight possibilities as originally the details said

Timings and pick-up/drop off:
RV time 11:30hr on the 4th March in Bardufoss airport arrivals hall.
Drop off for travel home 08:00hr on the 10th at BDU airport.

and

Group 1: Those flying to Oslo with Ryan on the Saturday, stopping in Oslo overnight and then flying onto Bardufoss on the Sunday (Returning the same route but with no overnight in Oslo) This is the suggested and probably the best travel option.

Group 2: Those doing the above but not stopping in Oslo overnight it might be a good idea if this group organise a charter bus/taxi/minibus to get them from one airport to the other in Oslo as there is only 3 hours between flights and it will give you piece of mind having some one meet/drop you off - this should not be necessary on the return flight as you have 6 hours between flights this is probably the cheapest flight option.

I am guessing the timetables have changed a bit as outward it still looks possible with an overnight in Oslo, the only Norwegian departure I can see from Bardufoss on 10th is at 06:30hr and that gives 4hrs between airports arrival to departure.

Has anyone else found anything different?

Becky did say this is extremely unlikely to go ahead as there are only 3 confirmed bookings, unfortunately the price of the "public" version is simply too much for my son even as an 18th Birthday present (assuming we can find reasonable flights) so do we pay the deposit for this and hope it picks up enough for Woody to feel it is worth doing bearing in mind the other guys are out for the Advanced the following week or resign ourselves to it is just not going to happen.

Peter

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
All

The following is an official list of all those that have paid their deposits for this expedition and consequently represent the numbers so far:

1. wayland

2. snijd005

3. skaus84

4.Loenja

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Hi, Is there places left for this trip, cant see any posts after November, so just wondering. I haven't looked at all the details yet, flights etc, Ive only just become a member but I could be interested. Thanks!

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
The course needs another 11 places filled if it is to run. I'm interested as are a couple of other people but I'm not going to put a deposit on a course on which the 'organisers' have shown so little committment to running.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I don't think commitment is lacking on their side. You can't expect them to run a course if people don't sign up for it.

I put my deposit down a long time ago even though I don't have a lot of spare money hanging around, I also ring-fenced time and the remaining funds in my accounts.

I'll agree it's been very frustrating to sit on my hands and wait for confirmation that at least the advanced course will run but if the basic doesn't run I'll just transfer the deposit to paying for the advanced course and use the remaining ring-fenced funds to go out there and do something else, either on my own or with others. What is there to lose?

By not showing commitment on our side it is discouraging others to sign up so if we missthis fantastic oportunity we have only ourselves to blame really.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
I've no connection to Woody and his team but I did go on the March 2010 Arctic Exped (And it was awesome).

Been reading the thread with interest and picked up on the comment 'little commitment to running'.....(and only over a deposit for goodness sake!)
Deposits would be returned if the course were cancelled through lack of numbers......check the T&C's

Do not mistake caution for lack of commitment......indeed some might say it is the lack of commitment to a deposit (Which are refundable if the course does not proceed)....that will kill the course getting off the ground in the first place!
Folks who place a deposit are showing their commitment and are unlikely to back out and leave the course numbers short (They need minimum numbers because the margin is so small).

Loads of folks genuinely wanted to go in 2010, in fact it looked like it would over book.....but the numbers dwindled due to various reasons, only those who had made a deposit ended up going (in the main).

But in summary, a modicum of frustration in the process is normal but challenging their commitment, is a tad iffy.......

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Advertising a course then doing nothing to publicise or promote the event hardly demonstates a commitment to the course. Why has no effort been made to save the course by advertising on climbing or skiing forums? I'm sure the places could be filled if the providers showed a little creativity and gumption.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I have spoken to a couple of other providers who have said they will not even try to compete as the package for THIS FORUM is priced so keenly, the public version is around 3 times the price with relatively minor changes but catered and in all reality BE probably need to fill that, and who can blame them they need to make a living.

This is an opportunity for BCUK members and we really need to make the running on it. Having met Woody he seems to want these courses/exped to succeed but he also has business to run. Bushcraft Expeditions have answered most of my questions quickly both via the office and Ross has personally. For me *personally* the flights etc are a problem as being in term time we have to work with college timetable otherwise there would have been at least one more signed up.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Advertising a course then doing nothing to publicise or promote the event hardly demonstates a commitment to the course. Why has no effort been made to save the course by advertising on climbing or skiing forums? I'm sure the places could be filled if the providers showed a little creativity and gumption.

Personally I have done my best to sell it at every opportunity.

This is a course run at a special price for us.

They run other courses at higher prices but this is a special deal for us.

If anyone needs to show commitment, creativity and gumption it is us.

I've done what I can... How about you.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Personally I have done my best to sell it at every opportunity.

If only the providers had put in as much effort

This is a course run at a special price for us.

We all appreciate that

They run other courses at higher prices but this is a special deal for us.

But if we don't make up the numbers there will be no course

If anyone needs to show commitment, creativity and gumption it is us.

I've done what I can... How about you.

Well I've paid the deposit now!

The thing that's annoyed me is that an interested party asked a question on one of the arctic exped posts but didn't get a reply from the organisers. That is really poor form, very 'second eleven'.

Last edited:

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
All

The following is an official list of all those that have paid their deposits for this expedition and consequently represent the numbers so far:

1. wayland

2. snijd005

3. skaus84

4.Loenja

5.imagedude

Merry Christmas Everyone!​

Wayland

Hárbarðr
And best of the season to you all.
deers.gif

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
As the airline schedules have obviously changed since Woody and Tony posted the original details what travel plans are people considering?

Edit: Chris posted on the other thread at same time :) THIS POST

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks Peter for adding the link and apologies if I put the info in the wrong place - I havn't been following this issue until the last day or so

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE