2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'd check the weather before packing snow shoes, you may be better off with crampons. The recent freeze thaw cycles and lack of snowfall means that the ground is covered in thick ice.

I spent some time in Oslo today at the headquaters of DNT (theNorwegian trecking association). They had heaps of advice about planning trips especially if using their mountain huts. They have free planning maps which show the distance between huts marked in km or hours walking time. Anybody fancy a trip in autumn?

Gather any information like that, and spares if you can. That sounds like just the sort of info we need for the Sub Zero Crew.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well that's it, my lift is arriving soon and I'm on my way.
mush.gif

See you all there if all goes well.
th_smileysnowing.gif

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Currently three hours north of Oslo at 700m asl. Some snow left on the higher trails but they are starting to look green in places.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Guys, I've been talking to someone on Hammock forums who lives near Bardufoss. He suggests camping 2km north east of the airport, right by Malselvfossen in the mixed woods. There will be snowmobile tracks accross the river where its safe to cross, if not we can stay on the south side.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Site here. We can cross before the bend in the river, above the airport.
Capture-3.png
[/IMG]

It would be good to find some other places, maybe closer to the shops for the first night. I'll know more when I hear back from the guy in Norway.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Will do Martin and Rich :)

Rich, if I lose a digit, will you carry my pack for me?:D

There looks to be a possible site for the first night just north of the airport on the way to the Malselv river, by a smaller watercourse. It looks to be about 1/2 mile from the airport.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm uncertain on my trousers, I'm torn on what to take. Everything else is decided on

My options are;
Medium weight wool trousers
Craghoppers
Lined Craghoppers
Klattermusen Gere (like Fjallravens) nylon climbing trousers that I wear most of the time outside and are tested in the cold but aren't flame proof.

For insulation, I can take heavy duty ski salopettes or zip on german army pile lined mountain over trousers.

Waterproofs are Keela munro salopettes and long johns are wool.

Any guidance anybody?

I'm leaning towards ski salopettes and unlined Craghoppers.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I couldn't get on with lined craghoppers and longjohns together - the surfaces tended to pull at each other while moving and either wrapped the longjohns round my legs, or pulled them down my legs inside the trousers..

If it's not too cold then lined craghoppers on their own might work..
I've used unlined Fjallraven trousers over 200g merino at - 10 in Canada..
I've also worn American M1951 pattern wool trousers on their own down to -10

I did have a pair of Swedish M90 quilted overtrousers with me in case, but didn't need to use them

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I have got the following:
Base:
arcteryx rho pant
Wool long john
Outer:
Lined Fjallraven Barents
codet 210 wool trousers
Shell:
TNF goretex light shell

Not all at once of course ;)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I couldn't get on with lined craghoppers and longjohns together - the surfaces tended to pull at each other while moving and either wrapped the longjohns round my legs, or pulled them down my legs inside the trousers..

If it's not too cold then lined craghoppers on their own might work..
I've used unlined Fjallraven trousers over 200g merino at - 10 in Canada..
I've also worn American M1951 pattern wool trousers on their own down to -10

I did have a pair of Swedish M90 quilted overtrousers with me in case, but didn't need to use them

Thanks BT, Thats good info. I hadn't considered the stiff pile on the crags snagging the johns, thats them ruled out. I'be been down to -15 or so in the Klattermusens and they were great. They cope with snow well for me. I have a lot of faith in them.

I have got the following:
Base:
arcteryx rho pant
Wool long john
Outer:
Lined Fjallraven Barents
codet 210 wool trousers
Shell:
TNF goretex light shell

Not all at once of course ;)

I wish I'd have picked up a pair of codets now. They take them down to -40 in canada with just long johns underneath!

This one is going down to the wire I think between the unlined crags and klattermusens.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Considering that Lennart, the Klattermusens win hands down.

Thanks guys, decision made. Its the Klattermusens over wool long johns, with the Keela munro salopettes and the lightweight salopettes as insulation if it gets bitter :

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Yeah I may ditch my Swedish army wool trousers and go for the thick poly cotton Stihl chainsaw trousers I used to good effect
last trip out ( wool long johns underneath )
Are we looking at + temps for the week we are out then?
Chris.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Not showing pluses yet, just under freezing. I'm giving up looking at it, every time I check, its getting warmer.

:mad:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE