2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 30, 2011
East Boldon
Hi all, not long to go now!

Is anyone else planning on using petrol for stove fuel? Just trying to suss out my options for my coleman duel fuel and wasn't sure whether they have minimum purchase rules at fuel stations. Failing that i'm hoping they have something similar to coleman fuel at the shops on route.

Have a great time to those who are journeying out early .

Matt

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Have a look back through the thread Matt, theres locations posted of the fuel stations on Google maps but they're pages back and I cant see them at the moment.

Were planning on getting some Aspen 4/white gas from Gsport or Sport1 in Bardufoss or Andselv. Failing that, its good ol unleaded from Andselv or Skjold.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I was hoping to buy Coleman fuel over there, from an outdoor store if there's one nearby - I can use other fuel, if I have too, so maybe a couple of us can each get 1l each?

On several Bardufoss forecasts the weather looks to be hovering around 0C for the early part of next week, with a chance of rain and strong westerly winds:(. Maybe I'll swop out my Swedish army wool trousers for a pair of softshells, or wear waterproofs over my long-johns!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Sounds good Ted.

A word of caution to those with Baffins, might be worth double checking the waterproofing of them. I'm now sitting on 3 pairs of brand new Baffins that leak like a sieve! All are going back. The 4th pair(doug Stoups) that aren't supposed to be waterproof are completely waterproof(????) There going to be far too warm now to wear, there too hot even at -10.

I'm throwing the towel in on them and getting a pair of Meindl soldens that Woody recomended, as I've still got time to break them in.

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
The game is afoot ;)

To improvise, to adapt, to keep in good spirits in the face of adversity. To stop and think about clothing and shelter strategy. Yes, the mental aspect of the course has already started :)
A drizzle, temps around zero and heavy winds are hypothermia waiting to happen. I am sure we will learn something.

Look on the bright side, we get to play outside for the whole of next week :cool:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I am hoping to buy a five litre can of Aspen4, hopefully there is a supplier in Bardufoss. Weather is lovely in Ringebu today, minus five and sunny.

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Just to anyone who is going out early, Im not sure what correspondence you have all had with Bushcraftexpeditions, I have had a reply email from Becky on RV pick up for the start of the course:

Hi Shane

Woody has sent me a reply to your email he says:

we don't have the facility to pick any one up other than at the airport and will not be stopping en route or taking any diversions. If you choose not to be at the RV, then you need to make your own way to Overbygd, if you do decide to make your own way down I would advise that you contact Woody and let him know of your plans. I will be sending out a contact number later this week.

Apologies if this sounds in flexible but if we do it for one we end up doing it for others and we don't have the time or facility for this

Regards
Becky

My reply was:

Hi Becky

No problem, I will RV at the Airport as per the schedule, If anything were to change I will contact Woody with the number you give me.

Thanks

Shane

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for that Shane and Becky.

I'm impressed with the Meindl Soeldens I got yesterday that Woody recommended. They feel like slippers on. I walked a few miles in them yesterday to break them in but they really didnt need it. For £64 ( I got em for £57), I reckon they're a bargain.

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Dear All
To all those who will not be at the airport there is an alternative RV Point. Woody and the team will meet you at the following Co ordinates as per the map attached.This is where the transports drops everyone who met at the airport off and you will then walk together towards the camp.

69 deg 00' 27" N
10 deg 16' 31" E

Please be at the alternative RV by 1530 if you are coming to this one

Please also let Woody know if you decide to meet at this point beforehand. I will be sending out his contact number shortly

regards
Becky

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Looking at the Alternative RV its a bit far I reckon, 40k in 2 days without knowing the area or conditions.
Best bet I think is to head back to airport for original RV ?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I tend to agree Shane but we're not nailed to slogging the full distance on foot if we choose to walk. Tor Helge linked to the bus timetables earlier in the thread, its on a buss route so we can shorten the journey and theres always a taxi as a fallback.

My thoughts on it are that we should decide what to do when were there. Well meet Wayland near Bardufoss and so will have the option of splitting up too.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Has anyone checked those coords? :lmao:

I knew we were going to get wet but that pushing the limits of my waterproofs.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
We have got some time on the 11th as we would be due at that RV point at 15.30 hours (with of course some margin built into our schedule).
Overall I agree with Teepee, when we are on land in Bardufoss, we will check out snow conditions and weather (forecast). First night will certainly be near Bardufoss airport as it will be dark(ish) by the time we get there. Friday we get some provisions and either camp out, hike out or chill out ;)

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Eight kilometers travellled on snowshoes today, looks like I'll have to get a lot fitter before I'm able to travel thirty K with a twenty K pack!

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Sounds good, see what the conditions are like then make a decision. I didnt think about the bus option either;)

Good going Bob, and Snow shoeing means there must be snow:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE