2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thats ideal for me, an hour away. Makes a nice change from driving hundreds of miles :)

My bones are telling me were in for another cold autumn/winter.

May 30, 2011
East Boldon
I'd be up for that as I definitely want to test out my gear before the trip next year. Was thinking of sorting a few weekend trips in the lakes and/or northumberland when the temperatures start to drop anyhow.

Bit tricky with times and venues for me at the moment though, but will certainly make it if I can so keep me updated with your plans.

Matt

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It would make most sense to organise something in the Winter so we can check out our gear I guess.

As for location I was thinking of Rough Close, Near Coventry where we hold some of the Midland meets.

Sounds good to me as long as my dates work out!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'll have a chat with Decorum about it this weekend and we'll see what we can do then.

Out of interest, I've put up a page outlining my preparations on my website here.

I'm hoping that it might turn some of the traffic I get into people interested in doing the course, you never know.

I still want to do both If I can so anything I can do to promote the basic course I will.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just had a read of your website page..I have to say you know how to spin a line! I thought it was really good the way you put the article together and your kit is wonderful, maybe someday when I'm not chasing my 9yr old around the football pitch I'll have time to sit down and fashion some gear...although it would take a shed load of practice (and no doubt alot of cursing!) to get as good as you. It's going to be an absolute pleasure to spend time with you Gary out in the land of snow & ice!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
1_smiley_biggrin.gif
Well when all is said and done you could say I just talk for a living really. The problem is usually getting me to shut up.

Truth is I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, I've not met anyone through this lark yet that didn't have a wealth of knowledge and a fine story to tell, even if they don't always realise it.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Well I've started prepping too, but nothing along the lines of Wayland's stuff- well done mate. Most of my gear is ex military and will be carried by my trusty Vulcan (but not a canvas one- git ;)). I was having huge problems with footwear. I couldn't find any reasonably priced boots anywhere in the UK, so I solved the problem by importing Baffin Epic series Evolution boots. They are good to -60C.

http://www.baffin.com/product-p/epicm003.htm

Baffin are renowned for sizing their boots small, so for my dainty size 10s I ordered a US12 (one size up for US sizing as the US sizes are sized smaller and one size up for Baffins renowned sizing). So having ordered them from the US they arrived in 2 days only to find out they are too narrow for my foot as I take a wide fitting! To return them costs £40!!! I've ordered some 13s which fit in width, so I have a US12 to get rid of. They will fit a wide UK9 or standard fitting UK10. They are boxed and tagged. PM me for details.

The 13s are brill, well made and very, very warm in the UK summer!!

However, with the kit I have so far I can see that I'll be wearing a lot clothes on the plane!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Same size issues here :)

I ordered US 12's for my size 10 plates and they are a little too snug for wearing thick socks, so I'm waiting on 13's to arrive. The fit on the Doug Stoups is better than the Snosports for my wide penguin feet.

My cunning plan is to take both pairs of boots; the less insulated and less bulky snosports for the plane, snowshoeing and warmer weather, the Stoup boots for colder less active wear and staring agog for hours at the Northern lights. I'm thinking that this will negate the need for spare liners, as the boots can be cycled.

After doing some reading on polar expeds, the use of plastic bags on feet as Vapour Barrier socks is common to avoid taking spare liners. I'm planning to have a play with this approach this winter to see if its possible to avoid permanently wrinkly feet, with the use of strong anti-perspirant, lots of talc and spare socks to soak up the perspiration inside the bags.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've found a good US supplier of felt liners but they won't ship to the UK

I'm currently sorting out a postal agent over there that can hopefully forward them on to me.

Been looking at the same service, hard to choose who to go for.

I'm not sure how things would work if a package goes missing, as liability stops after dely to a US address-sounds like a potential bag of trouble and missing goods.

Just tried ordering a Rab bag from Amazon for a massive discount and they won't ship it to blighty :(

May 30, 2011
East Boldon
Lots of research to do here, although some real useful comments on kit from past trips etc... Wayland's site is also very interesting. Purchased the snow walkers companion as recommended by another BCUK user, this is such an insightful book and may attempt to fashion my own canvas anorak using their templates.

Have recently purchased the Doug Stoup winter boots which should be toasty. Has anyone tried using foam injected ski or snowboard boot liners as a replacement? I do alot of skiing and have had custom ones made in the past, although they can be pricey. Just a thought.

Currently have a couple of options for my stove. Been using the coleman multi fuel for a while on unleaded or colemans meths fuel, works really well. Also have a jetboil which is normally used for camping etc..., not sure if would be much use on this trip though. Interested in testing out the can burner which Wayland has made as well. A friend of mine has just purchased one of these from america, but they seem easy enough to make.

Matt

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I'm not bothering with spare liners. If they need drying out at night they can be worn like bed socks and they dry that way. Last time I was there we had Lundhags mid height ski march boots with no liner but a thick felt sole. We didn't have a spare liner then.

Forget the jetboil- it won't work. Kero is best but the burners are too heavy in general. A Petrol stove is a goer but make sure it can burn actual PETROL. They can take a while to pressurise. I'm taking a Meta 50 and a whitebox stove and my own pop can stove.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm taking the Coleman Peak stove that I was issued in Norway for Arctic training, runs perfectly well on unleaded petrol and it actually helped save my life once in a blizzard so I trust it completely!
As for boots, I don't see the need to spend loads of money on them, I'm just taking a pair of German mountain boots with felt insoles, two pairs of arctic issue socks, covered over with my Yeti Extrem Gaiters Did me well for five full Norway winters in the army, I think 6 days will be perfectly OK!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Just got the go ahead, looks like my wife is going to be ok and home in the next few weeks !
I can't tell you how relived I am .
I shall ring Becky ASAP.
My best.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE