2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Great looks like we're on then.
tahdah.gif

Are Chris and Bob still hoping to come too?

Last edited:
May 30, 2011
East Boldon
Hi everyone

New to BCUK and forum. Attending this week only along with jamesbentley. Looking forward to getting into planning for trip and equipment, certainly some useful and insightful threads on this site!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi guys, really great to have you around and welcome to the forum. I hope you'll like it here. :welcome1:

There is another thread here for general discussions about the courses and you might find the thread here about the previous basic course interesting too.

Just noticed your location, I'm running a little course at the Environmental Centre at West Boldon in September, we'll have to get together for a beer or two.

Last edited:

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hi All
Just a note to say even though we do have the minimum numbers for this expedition now please do not book any flights until the expedition go/no go date:15th January 2012, as it is possible that someone may pull out of the expedition before this date.
If you have any questions regarding the expedition please do not hesitate to contact me
Many thanks
Becky

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hi All

The following is an official list of all those that have paid their deposits for this expedition and consequently represent the numbers so far:

1.Widu33
2.wayland
3.teedee
4.skaus84
5.Greg
6.teepee
7JamesBentley
8.iceman81
9.I**C******

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Heads up on Amazon.com for boots. I'm stocking up for this years winter trips, not just for this exped.

A pair of Baffin Doug Stoups just turned up on my doorstep for £75. They're £299 over here! A pair of Baffin Snoports are winging their way over for £45.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Same as a lot of other places, they sell the boots but not the liners.

Basically, a pac boot is only any good for sustained use if you have spare liners so one pair can be dried while another is in use.

The UK distributors of Baffin do not carry the liners in the UK because most UK users are not using them for sustained wilderness use and many of the US suppliers will not supply the UK because of trade restrictions or exclusive distribution deals.

I am currently trying to find a US postal forwarding agent to get around this PITA but otherwise I'm going to source some felt and make my own.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've found the liners here, but they work out more expensive than the boots in the first place. I suspect making a copy may be the best solution as Wayland has said, although im sure somebody in America will sell some to poor old Blighty.

Edit; After checking my link, they do ship to the UK. The delivery is astronomical though and isnt viable, its cheaper to buy another pair of boots and use the outers as posh plant pots!

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
As already mentionrd Amazon will ship to the UK and you pre pay the customs charges. Hopefully my Baffin boots will only cost the £60 promised!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Wayland

Hárbarðr
When you get to the checkout at Amazon.com on the liners you get this message saying that:

This item cannot be shipped to the address you selected. (Learn more.) You may either change the shipping address or remove the item by clicking Delete.

I haven't found any way to get around it directly but I have found someone who is prepared to accept a US delivery and then post it on to me.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Its been a while since I've looked at this thread, and I'm really happy to see that so far it is a go.
Good stuff guys!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE