2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Got my boots today, (Chippewa 25207 cold weather boots)

IMG_0304.JPG

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
They look great Id, rest of your kit sorted?
I have had bit of a brain wave re-packing ( which is proving a mare! )
I think my carry on will now be a day pack containing my sleeping bag! ( compressed. )
It is the thing that takes up so much of the room in my main pack, freeing that rm up has been a god send.
Not sure what my main pack will be, got on realy well with my Northface Bace Camp Duffle last time out, so it may be that or my Crusader.
Cheers fellas.
Chris.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Chris,

Are you going for just the carry-on bag and one pack in the hold or are you shelling out for extra bags/kg's?
I should be OK for the first leg. KLM allows 23 kilo in the hold and 12 carry-on. That should suffice, but Norwegian only allow 20 in the hold and 10 as carry-on. Should still be OK if I buy all provisions locally but I want to try out my lightweight hot tenting solution before and after the course. It should come in at around 2,5 kilo for the tipi and stove. Hot tenting is not hard-core of course, but that is what the course is for right (to butch me up :rolleyes:). A bit of luxury (and extra safety) leading up to the course can't hurt.

The weight shouldn't be too much of a problem, but then I haven't tried to put it al in a pack yet. The sleeping bag I will take in a waterproof compression bag with vent so that reduces the volume considerably. Are porters included in the course price? ;)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I am going to try for that DUCky, made it last trip, just ! But that was without cookers or rations!!
Think I am going to have to pay to go a few kg over, and thats just the basics!
Realy impressed that you have it down that low WITH tipi and stove!
What pack are you thinking of using ?
Talk soon.
Chris.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Looking good ID! Are they nice and roomy?

I'm a UK 9 and these are marked as a US 11 Extra wide on the outside and size 13 on the inside. They are an inch too long but just about wide enough with 2 thick pairs of socks on. A bit of felt padding will sort them out.

They look great Id, rest of your kit sorted?

The only problem I have is choosing which bits of kit I need to leave behind!!
, got on realy well with my Northface Bace Camp Duffle last time out, so it may be that or my Crusader.

Take them both, it may not be as expensive as you think.
Cheers fellas.
Chris.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
KLM for some reason charges a full fare price for an extra bag :(
So if I bring another bag, I might as well bring a personal assistent on the trip to carry it ;)

@Chris, making the weight limit will mean I am dressed as a Michelin man of course ;)
Compromise might be that I only get an extra bag on Norwegian and do some repacking in Oslo. This will give me an extra 5 Kg's

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Thanks for that Id !
DUCky, its a tricky one mate, the flights part is a real PITA as far as organizing this trip!
How much 'hardwear are you thinkin of taking? ( Axe, shovel.... )
My best.
Chris.

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Hey Guys,
Becky has just added me to the Advanced Arctic Expedition course after someone unfortunately had to pull out. Which is great news for me, although a bit of a shock as I really didn't expect to be going. So I will have to play catch up with what has been previously discussed in terms of 'everything' really.
I haven't really had time to have a good look through all the threads I haven't long joined BCUK, but I shall over the coming weeks, so just bare with me if I ask any stupid questions, or post anything that you've all already been over possibly more than once (be gentle!!). And ignore my GrammEr!! Lol!
Anyway, hope to catch up to speed soon and if there are any threads in particular any of you think I should have a gander at first, I'd be much obliged (apart from this one & the Arctic Expeditions threads). Which I'll be onto asap.
I have got one question though, Is anyone going from Wales (Im south), if so how, when, how much etc, etc ? because I've only looked today but am finding travel and flight times etc to be a bit of a struggle ( Rv/drop off times, dates difficult & expensive to meet).
Thanks in advance. Shane
(p.s Im posting this on the Expeditions thread as well)

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Welcome aboard !

If you have read the first post in the Expeditions thread you know all that we know about what is going to happen ;)
The rest is speculation on what to bring and what not, but an official kit list will be published by BE I suspect/expect somewhere after January 15th (the official go/no go date).

I think Wayland posted a link to a previous Arctic expedition to give us some idea of what we will be dealing with, but that was another course (content).

I am sure we will learn a lot and if all goes well we might even enjoy ourselves :D

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Not much, just a Silky saw if required. Surely we don't all need to bring an axe, shovel etc. Will I need to bring a basha?

I am bringing a basha/tipi for the days prior to and after the course. We shouldn't need it for the course itself as the plan is to build our own shelters. I think Woody mentioned they will have a couple of shovels, so we don't need to bring them, but a few extra couldn't hurt.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Let's try and publish my kitlist so far. There is no food on there as yet. What am I missing?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArVHnogIhZaRdFFJN1g5T1IxT2t6RFhNT2cxOGh6Nmc

Wet wipes, paracord, tiewraps, bungees, tentpegs, passport, boarding passes, pan scourers, bog roll, Duck Tape, housewife (sewing kit), first aid kit, camera, memory card, spare batteries, personal medicine, condiments, Exped/Thermarest repair kit, matches, tweezers, whistle, maps, map case, money, credit cards, European Health Card, Nintendo DS, phone and spare batteries, playing cards, bottle of whisky/vodka, bus fare, crampons, FM radio, Washing up liquid, powdered milk, tea bags, lip balm, sunglasses, sit mat (half of an old school kip mat), soft brush, sponge, **** bottle, can opener, map, compass

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Wet wipes, paracord, tiewraps, bungees, tentpegs, passport, boarding passes, pan scourers, bog roll.

Thanks ID, pegs and guylines are included in the shelter bag. I have got some snow pegs that I will add. Tie wraps is a good one, will throw a couple in my first aid kit (which also includes some duct tape). I have got some waterless soap and a couple of wet wipes in my toilet bag. Pan scourer and a bit of paracord aren't on there yet so I will add it. I needed google to learn what a bog rol is. Yes, that will be nice. Does heated toilet paper exist ;)

Passport and boarding pass are not a bad idea.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good to see you coming along Shane :) I look forward to meeting you and everyone else

Does heated toilet paper exist

Chilli sauce should sort that out :)

For wet wipers, dry them out before you go and rehydrate as needed in your pocket, in a plastic bag. No more futile peeling of frozen wet wipes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE