2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Try the local charity shops, lots of lightweight wool jumpers for two or three quid. Cotton teeshirt and a couple of 'Pringle' M&S sweaters and your toasty warm. Nobody will know unless you decide to strip !

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Try the local charity shops, lots of lightweight wool jumpers for two or three quid. Cotton teeshirt and a couple of 'Pringle' M&S sweaters and your toasty warm. Nobody will know unless you decide to strip !
You said the bad word! Mommy, mommy, he said "cotton"! In actual cold condtiions cotton is a bad word, since it will make you cold. I use nice merio wool undershirts (or plain wool garments directly, not ok for everyone). Then the random cardigasna and jumpers.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nothing wrong with a thin cotton tee shirt under a wool garment, won't kill you and stops any itching from the wool. Cotton won't make you cold as such and the warmth from your body is trapped in the wool, problem solved.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
?I thought the point about cotton was that it retained moisture, which makes it good in hot climates (as the evaporation of the moisture uses excess body heat to cool your body down) but not so good in cold climates (because the same use of body heat to evaporate the moisture uses up valuable body heat that you can't spare)

Happy to be corrected

EDIT: I am talking about cotton as a base layer only

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Close cotton as a top layer in cold conditions is fine. If it's too cold for rain then it acts as windproofing and will shed most of the snow.

Cotton as a base layer I am more doubtful of. Moisture generated by sweating or even insensible perspiration will build up in cotton garments and transport heat by conduction away from your body. Not too bad for short periods but dangerous in sustained conditions.

A synthetic base layer would be safer imo. Wool has advantages for longer periods of wear as it does not harbour the bacteria that leads to odour but if that is too expensive then synthetics at least transport the moisture away from your body and can be obtained very cheaply.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I picked up a merino and a non itchy cashmere jumper from the charity shop for a tenner, they would make a fantastic baselayer, but I'll be wearing them as a mid layer.

I'm going decked in top of the range merino thermals imported directly from germany. (from Aldi)

My cotton baselayers are going in the spares bag along with my Speedos, beach towel and flip flops :lmao:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm after some wool thermals to stop me stinking too much, I usually use synthetics but if I'm denied a shower and laundry for a week (or two!) it may be better to use natural materials...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yep... We'll all love you better for it...
anim_24.gif

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Ventile is cotton right? I was thinking of wearing a ventile shirt over a Merino baselayer. Would that not be advisable?

I wouldn't mate.
Ventile brings much to the arctic party as your final, windproof layer.
You are looking to trap layers of warm air in the other garments below ( and you need to be able to 'vent off when working or walking.)
Two or three mid-weight wool layers, not tight ( or pile- pertex, wool is what I favour ) over your merino, depending on the temp.
Hope this helps.
My best.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE