1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Pluto no longer a planet

Discussion in 'Other Chatter' started by jdlenton, Aug 24, 2006.

1. jdlenton

jdlenton Full Member

2. Seagull

Seagull Settler

I think its because of ,something to do with those polythings theyve just found, in tea.

Ceeg

3. Brocktor

Brocktor Banned

its was on the news not long ago that a new scope found several more planets past pluto. so once the information comes more out into the open we could have 12

4. jdlenton

jdlenton Full Member

they've actually found something like 40 and some bigger than Pluto that's the reason for the decision.
    IMO it would be a bit daft to have 48 planets can you imagine getting kids to learn all the planets:eek:

5. Tony

Tony White bear (Admin)
    Admin

To me it just reinforces that science say they're right all the way to the point they admit they're wrong or they change something because it suits them....How can it be a planet for generations and then they decide to change their minds :lmao:

6. leon-1

leon-1 Mod
    Mod

There's me thought Pluto was a Disney Dog:D:D

Or have they revoked his status as that as well:D

7. gregorach

gregorach Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

You are joking aren't you, Tony? You can't actually be saying that science shouldn't change in the light of new information?

8. Kepis

Kepis Bushcrafter through and through

Didn't they decide to call Pluto and the new "planets" plutoids or something like that?

9. Tony

Tony White bear (Admin)
    Admin

I totally agree that science should change with the information available, it should be updated etc. What I do dislike is the fact that (I’m being general here) science dismisses a huge amount of things and insists that “it is right” when a lot of the time it’s just theory. All through history things have been dismissed by Science and then later accepted, children get taught theory as though it was actually the only answer and the only way and it will always be so.

In this instance, talking about the planets, they sit and decide to change years of knowledge, because they would like to reclassify. So, I spend time teaching my kids that Pluto is a planet, they decide otherwise and they’ll list some new ones, then in a few years there will be some new kids on the block that don’t like that classification and decide that they prefer it like so…

Some things are set in stone and I fully appreciate that, but there’s a lot that’s not and they talk as though it is.

That’s where I’m coming from, I don’t like the scornful attitude towards anything they can’t prove and yet they’re allowed to change their minds, sometimes they’re just plain wrong and yet as soon as they decide on the new thing that’s it, everyone else is wrong.

Sorry for the waffle, especially as I’m not that fussed really. I just think they’re a little…Umm, narrow minded sometimes.

10. Tony

Tony White bear (Admin)
    Admin

Anyway, there's many that would say that Pluto's never been a planet :rolleyes:

11. spamel

spamel Banned

So, if Pluto is a dog, what the hell is Goofy?!!

12. geoff88

geoff88 Forager

Goofy is a hound. :D

Geoff

13. Seagull

Seagull Settler

Who,s going to rewrite the " Planets"?

Old Gustav H has long slipped his cable.

Ceeg

14. Draven

Draven Native

Howdy folks
    Pluto is now defined as a "Pluton" ;)
    Tony - I totally see what you're saying, although just about any reasonable scientist will accept the uncertainty principle. Hence why things are still called theories - just because all tests go the same way an uncountable number of times doesn't mean they'll go completely off the scale next time :D And yes, some scientists are very narrow minded indeed... as my dad always told me, a Scientist shouldn't try to prove themselves right, they should search only for the truth and publish it nonetheless :rolleyes:

From what I've heard, there are numerous plutons orbiting our sun... weird that they never get mentioned...

15. spamel

spamel Banned

So, why can he speak but Pluto can't? Also, I don't remember seeing Goofy's tail!! (No sniggering at the back please!)

16. JonnyP

JonnyP Full Member

So Pluto is only a minor planet, so what, who pays these guys to say this, I bet they are government funded, if so it makes me cross that they spend all that money on something (that seems to me) so trivial.............. :confused:

17. geoff88

geoff88 Forager

Because hounds are more intellectual than dogs. His tail has been docked. :D

Geoff

18. mark a.

mark a. Settler

To be fair, many scientists don't show everything as "fact", but the media (where most lay people get their information from) don't like caveating every sentence as "this may or may not be the case depending on future findings, but for now the majority of scientists believe that...". It's a lot easier to say "the earth is flat".

Some things can be stated as fact e.g. proven mathematical constructs. But there are countless theories and conjectures out there.

Not sure if the Pluto naming has anything to do with either of those examples, though. It's just a convention and doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. School science books are full of mistakes and inaccuracies anyway so here's another one to add to the list!

Mark

19. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Nomad

"The Planets" were composed in 1915.....15 years before pluto was discovered so it is not included..........

.....Lucky!

20. Tony

Tony White bear (Admin)
    Admin

Just goes to show that they knew what they were on about all the way back when :lmao: