Bushcraft Kit...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I will now post a thread on my bushcraft kit (not survival!), based upon a lot of different kits I've made the past few years. :wink:
My kit was just finished today and i'm satisfied. It's a temperate/woodland kit and is meant to be used in this. Variations can come up and it is possible that you would switch some of the items out with something else. It may seem like alot, but for an example I wouldn't go out without a first aid kit! :wink:
The script in the brackets (had to look it up, so hope you get the meaning :lol: ) will be MY version of the item OR detailed info. The clothes I wear is not included.

The kit:
Bag or rucksack
Knife (leuku and "Grandy")
SAK (Outrider)
Matches (waterproof)
Billy can (swedish army mess tin; without the burner and windbreaker)
Sleeping bag (Haglöfs Trail)
Tarp (military poncho; dark green)
1. Aid kit (homemade; not very big as I see lifesaving 1. aid is much more important)
Flashlight (maglite solitaire)
Canteen (sometimes with mug)
Spoon (metal)
Cordage (string; twine)
Firesteel
Steelwire (repair, snares, shelterbuilding etc.)
Extra socks (thick; mine is hunting socks)
Darning needle and sewing needle + bear thread (polyester)

Well, that's pretty much it. :cool: Anything you think I should add/remove or modify? I will use this kit to live in the wild and not to survive! :-D (Though it could be used for this too).

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I usually tape an extra battery to the side of the solitaire and I don't use light that much. :) The way I would purify my water is to boil it in the pot. Most purification tablets I know, makes the water taste as iodine.

Cheers :wave:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good point their The Viking, most puri-tab are also damaging in the long term either being cancer causing or some such - you have to remember that the things puri-tabs kill are living creatures and funnily enough so are we, so if it kills them it cant be doing you the world of good either!

Filter and boil its safe and easy.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Nice. Tell me more about this homemade firestick. And what do you have in your FAK? I need to upgrade and I was wondering what you would carry whilst out in Denmark as opposed to me in England.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I took an ironsaw and saw the striker of my magnesiumblock. Took a hammer and worked a little on the strikerpiece. The striker came loose.
Cut 2'' of 11 mm. pole (or so) and perforated a 1'' hole in the wood. A little superglue in the hole, stick in and fire going with a few strikes. :-D (When I can persuade my dad to buy me a digital camera, i'll take a picture)

My FAK is actually very simple and not very high tech. Believe if you know how to administer artificial respiration, prevent and treat chock and know how to stop arterie bleedings, you can tackle a bunch of situations. Lifesaving FA is the most important. Pain hurts, but doesn't kill. :wink:

FAK: Plasters, absorbent cotton wool + bandage, sportstape, butterfly sutures, (I know a guy who took the 3 last stings, without anaesthesia because it didn't last any longer), antiseptic iodine wipes and a piece of unparfumed soap. :wink: Well, that's about it I think.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Gary said:
Filter and boil its safe and easy.
Yes - and unlike Puri-tabs - will get rid of cryptosporidium & giardia (both nasty and ubiquitous protozoans that aren't killed by chlorine).

leon-1

On the point of water and puri-tabs, I have recently been informed that Millets are going to stop stocking them, they will only be stocking the iodine tablets.

The nasty taste that you get from them, you can get rid of it by adding either a couple of drops of lime or strong citrus fruit to the water. You can also get a detaste tablet (Lifesystems).

Neither iodine or the puri-tab type tablets are a long term solution to water purification as both build up in your system and you will still require to filter it.

As others have stated boiling water is probably the oldest of ways and cheapest, that is proven. As with anything else though there are rules for how long water should be boiled for and how long it is to be considered pure after it has been boiled.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Aqua-Mira (also known as Pristine in the US and Canada) is a better alternative to both iodine and chlorine. It's a chlorine dioxide system as used (as part of) European water treatment for the last 60odd years, I took it to Egypt a few weeks back and didn't have any problems. It kills cryptosproridium as well as all the usual nasties that iodine and chlorine do, plus it doesn't leave an after-taste. It costs £12 from Cotswold Outdoor and treats 200-odd litres of water. It doesn't do anything about particulates obviously...

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Chroline dioxide is a powerful oxidizing agent that will deal effectively with cryptosporid nasties.

However, it is worth remembering that if you dip your drinking bottle into a contaminated source and treat the water inside it that any water on the outside on on the screw threads won't be safe unless properly exposed to the treatment you use. This seems obvious but I've seen people overlook this in the past.

This is why I still like my Katadyn mini as it deals with all this easily.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

As with anything else though there are rules for how long water should be boiled for and how long it is to be considered pure after it has been boiled.
Yes. When I boil water for purifying, I boil it between 5-20 minutes. It depends on where you find it! :wink: In a spring: 5 minutes. :biggthump In a swamp: 20 minutes. In a lake in Sweden: 15 minutes. This would be the times I use. But again: it depends on a lot. (altitude, location etc.)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
TheViking said:
Hi...

Yes. When I boil water for purifying, I boil it between 5-20 minutes. It depends on where you find it! :wink: In a spring: 5 minutes. :biggthump In a swamp: 20 minutes. In a lake in Sweden: 15 minutes. This would be the times I use. But again: it depends on a lot. (altitude, location etc.)

You will only make the water boil, it does not matter if it boils 1 or 10 minutes. Think big bubbles no troubles.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

In the Swedish Army's survival manual it says, that to clean water from bacteria and organisms you need to boil the water in 20 minutes.
(This is by the way recommended by a lot of spec.ops. around the world) :biggthump

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
TheViking said:
Hi...

In the Swedish Army's survival manual it says, that to clean water from bacteria and organisms you need to boil the water in 20 minutes.
(This is by the way recommended by a lot of spec.ops. around the world) :biggthump

The Swedish Army's survival manual was printed in 1988 and research in this area has come a long way since then. Nowadays the army say 5 minutes just because that they should be sure the soldiers really let it boil.

S

Strider

Altitude however makes a lot of difference... we were boiling eggs for breakfast at about 7500 meters above sea, and they were still runny after 20 minutes of boiling. Though boiling, the water was probably only 80 odd degrese.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Viking said:
The Swedish Army's survival manual was printed in 1988 and research in this area has come a long way since then. Nowadays the army say 5 minutes just because that they should be sure the soldiers really let it boil.
Oh, I see. :wink: But if you're using a fire and have plenty of time, it doesn't harm anyone to boil it a long time. If you're using a stove, i'll stick to 5 min. too! :) :biggthump I just asume that most of the time, bushcrafting is about being at the same place a few days, allowing you to cook over fire all the time. :biggthump

Cheers :uu:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Viking said:
You will only make the water boil, it does not matter if it boils 1 or 10 minutes. Think big bubbles no troubles.

This is correct. Once water has reached 100 degrees celcius, no pathogens will be left alive.

Letting it boil for 1 or 10 minutes will make no difference as all the pathogens will already be dead.

There are some organisms that, I believe, can survive boiling, but they are found near thermally active water spouts and underwater volcanic lava vents, but to the best of my knowledge, these organisms are not pathogenic to humans.

Provided you get your water up to 100 degrees celcius, there is no advantage whatsoever to keeping it there for a period of time.

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
20 minutes is the medical standard, that's what a pharmacist told me (a good friend of my mother). It maybe dates from her pharmacist studies, that were quite a few years ago...and if research has proven differant in the mean time, guess I'll stick with the "bring it to a boil and it's enough" saying". In Ray's book he says you should add a minute per 1000 feet of altitude, which seems logical because the boiling temperature goes down when you go up.

Strider: at 7500m it would have been much less than 80°C, more like 50 or 60. At the top of the everest it's hardly over 40°! Mind you, I live at 450m above sea, and it's already down to 96°

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Variations in recommendations regarding the duration of boiling during boil water advisories have reflected uncertainty about how long some organisms can survive. On the basis of a recent literature review, CDC and EPA recommend that water be rendered microbiologically safe for drinking by bringing it to a rolling boil for 1 minute; this will inactivate all major waterborne bacterial pathogens (i.e., Vibrio cholerae, enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Shigella sonnei, Campylobacter jejuni, Yersinia enterocolitica, and Legionella pneumophila) and waterborne protozoa (e.g., Cryptosporidium parvum, Giardia lamblia, and Entamoeba histolytica [4 - 7]). Although information about thermal inactivation is incomplete for waterborne viral pathogens, hepatitis A virus - considered one of the more heat resistant waterborne viruses (8) - also is rendered noninfectious by boiling for 1 minute (9). If viral pathogens are suspected in drinking water in communities at elevations above 6562 ft (2 km), the boiling time should be extended to 3 minutes..

Source - US Enviromental Protection Agency, SUBJECT: Boiling Water Time for Killing Pathogens.

Link to PDF: http://www.epa.gov/safewater/wsg/wsg_134.pdf

BTW, I used to work as a medical microbiology lab technician before I trained as an RN. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE