Which bushcraft era or style ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
biggest influences to my way of thinking have been
horace kephart
nessmuk
Baden powell
and currently i am starting to lean towards their views on kit etc although i also have a few choice items from the current times, the ability to pick and choose from the lst so many millenia is a great blessing in this hobby

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hmmm...well I'm too much of a kit junkie ...so I'm going to have to second Sapper and say I'm a 21st century boy.

That said, the actual skills that I might, on occasion, employ are from ages long past so it is with a nod to yesteryear that I make my choice.

Sack

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
For me it is the backwoodsmen of the early American frontier, The Hunting Pioneers 1720 -1840. Their lifestyle and advance through the wilderness, during that time, was made possible by the firearms which they carried with them. I am biased, though, as it was some of my ancestors that were very much a part of this group of backwoodsmen.

Like others that posted above, the current era is most interesting. Especially the current era of modern rifle cartridges, chamberings and marksmanship. There are some recent, amazing accomplishments in this arena. Definitely, skill sets and technology that has evolved across time, due to necessity, to bring us to the present. To borrow a line Russell Crowe used in "Master and Commander", "a fascinating, modern age we live in!"

Gordy

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I prefer to look fwds and like learning the old stuff but how to adapt it and improve it or adapt it with modern methods/ materials and thinking to move on which i feel is exactly what they did back then from the dawn of time or we wouldn't be where we are now

You do have a point, in real every-day "bushlife" I'm mostly looking for the "feel", adding the items that make sense (e.g. a Trangia when there a fire-ban, rubber soled footwear). But it is also valuable to test things *as they were done*, for two reasons. One is to learn how it was, as well as to see what can be learnt from their techniques.

Last edited:

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I have no real "era" but when I was a boy my grandfather gave me his books by Harry Macfie, and this, I think, is what has influenced me the most.
Macfie was a swede with scottish roots who lived in Canada and alaska as a prospector and trapper for some 20 years in the beginning of the twentieth century. He returned to sweden and made a living making "Canada canoes" and also wrote some of the most poetic true wildernes stories ever written. It's all snowshoes, tobbogans, canoes, indians and eskimos written in a way that makes you feel as if you are there.
http://www.hmcc.se/harry/harry_eng.htm
His first book "Wasa Wasa" is available in english.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the mountain man style of working with a kitchen knife is fun to do and I dont know anyone else who does as they all carry tiddly hand crafted thingies. its more of a challenge to just use a knife and what you find. No point having an axe unless you want to build a cabin and the sioux have been quite around here for the past few years so I dont need a gun :)

Coming from the era of cold war 'fieldcraft' when you didnt want everyone to know where you were then I prefer the low impact no big fire variety, just sit and enjoy it while waiting for the kettle to boil.

britain is too small to do much else.

as it isnt even 10 years old yet can bushcraft really have an era?

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Thanks everyone for your collective input.

I am not trying to define eras within bushcraft, but rather this is a somewhat vague attempt to identify which historical eras hold a particular bushcraft related appeal to forum members.

Basically it would be fair to say that all we are doing now is what folks were doing hundreds and even thousands of years ago - we are operating within and up to our technological limitations with many of our skills rooted in the dim and distant past.

That fine on its own, but it doesn't stop us from being particularly interested in the fur trade era, for example, and for whatever reasons are personally relevant.

So this is not an exercise in defining and separating bushcraft into neat little slices which is more or less impossible. Ultimately throughout history there are loads of skills that could be relevant, with some being a lot more obvious than others. I am genuinely interested in what captures the imagination of others who are into bushcraft.

I am not naive or purist, although I do prefer to challenge myself with a more primitive approach for most of the time. That said, I have no problem (within reason) if you want to light a fire with a pocket flame thrower, provided you offer the same respect in return if I choose to use a fire plough, hand drill or natural flint and the driest, most carefully prepared tinder I can manage to process to try and catch those tiny sparks and coax something from them.

Sometimes the extra challenge is a good thing - if nothing else it is a great leveller in terms of demonstrating certain harsh realities. Sometimes it isn't the best approach by a country mile but it is almost always my own preferred method of reaching the same or similar goal state that you might be heading for with different kit and methods.

I can try to summarise as follows: I use longbows when I bowhunt because of the additional challenges involved and because I prefer making and shooting them to any other bow. I understand their comparative limitations versus more modern equipment, but the additional skill required is all the incentive I need and the thought of going back to a recurve or compound bow makes me cross-eyed :rolleyes:

That said, I have absolutely nothing against anyone who hunts or leisure shoots with a recurve or compound - ultimately we are all doing our own take on what suits us in the archery world.

OK, in more open country I could use a high powered rifle and telescopic sights from a stand and simply snipe the game (a gross oversimplification and NOT intended as a slur towards riflemen - I was one for a lot of years) but you really feel your heart's blood pumping through your veins when you get the sneak on an Elk after a long and difficult stalk, and you are about to draw and loose from only a dozen or so yards away.

I know quite a lot of folks who choose to black-powder hunt for broadly similar reasons, or just to maintain a link to their historical past.

Birch bark or cedar and canvas canoes hark back to different times than today's predominantly synthetic hulls, but a lot of folks prefer them by a very large margin. Not necessarily because they are better, but because they offer more (to the individual concerned) than any modern claptrap ever could.

This isn't a right/wrong discussion or an attempt to compartmentalise people - I guess I'm just interested in what the underlying passions are that drive us all down our respective and slightly different paths. The irony is that many of us will end up at the same (or at very similar) destinations, but how we choose to get there and why is what makes at least some of the difference.

I'll get my coat.

You do have a point, in real every-day "bushlife" I'm mostly looking for the "feel", adding the items that make sense (e.g. a Trangia when there a fire-ban, rubber soled footwear). But it is also valuable to test things *as they were done*, for two reasons. One is to learn how it was, as well as to see what can be learnt from their techniques.

I agree i like investigating stuff as it was ie i had to make a Nessmuk knife as close to the original as i could ( fairly difficult as theres only a basic description and a very small hand cut wood print of the profile)
before i changed anything

also the Crooked knife I did a lot of research in to it tho i have no real interest in making a canoe etc but learning how it works ive come up with for me a superb modern UK bush craft carving tool for use round camp that increases my ability to make stuff and reduces the equipment i need to do it in one stroke but defiantly different from the original Indian versions

my currrent project is to make a modern up to date Friction folding penknife thats EDC but can be locked if needed and removes some of the problems that FF have

ATB

Duncan

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk

my currrent project is to make a modern up to date Friction folding penknife thats EDC but can be locked if needed and removes some of the problems that FF have

ATB

Duncan

I've been working on something broadly along those lines by playing around with a modified slipjoint with a removable pin, which allows it to lock a la Benchmade Axis. The handle has a small recess for the pin which is right angled and rotates to 'lock' in place within the handle recess. It is also slightly cam shaped so when you turn it into the handle recess it binds tight into place - the pin fits into the back end of the grip with a spare in the belt pouch. Works, but it's a little clumsy :(

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think the mountain man era, but if the truth be told, if I had lived then I would have been eaten by a bear by now for sure, unless I had been able to retire on the proceeds of my fur trapping in my early forties.

May 21, 2005
dublin ireland
To me bushcraft is about keeping the old skills alive so they are not lost to the advancement of modern technology.We do use modern gear like goretex and modern clothing to make our activities more comfortable and enjoyable in the field.If you think about some of the skills we learn in bushcraft like tanning and flint knapping ,we are keeping stone age skills going :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just aquired by trade on this site two "Primitive Technology" books ...real "cave-man" skills and a great read (so far!)
giving the basic skills of using only what you find in the wilds (for most of the skills).
Stones, plants, bones and skin ...the most basic bushcraft tools!

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Mainly from the Boer war onwards (esp since 1907 and the publication of a certain book (that was behind only the Bible, Koran and the little red book in its sales in the 20th century)
but that’s where my interest in bushcraft comes from (you could say its a secondary hobby by its being an intrinsic part of my primary hobby)

I like to use and lean a large range of techniques from many differnt eras and areas

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My image of the perfect era would be somewhat like the cowboy/fur trade era. Living in my log cabin in peace with my wife, hunting for a decent living with a reliable rifle and warm fur clothes. For a time out in my image/fantasy would be a horse back ride to a town for some whiskey, poker and a tumble!

The never ending grey skies is enough to drive most of us mad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE