My Budget Beginner City-dweller (BBC) Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodymellor

Jul 14, 2010
London
Hello Peeps,

I'm relatively new here, mostly a lurker with a couple of posts, so here’s my first real one. I’m sure you’re all sick of people banging on about their kit, but here I am firstly asking for advice since I’ve not actually used it yet (and it’s not complete), and secondly I’ve spent a lot of time putting this together as cheaply as possible, so thought it might be a good starting point for others in the same boat.

I've been trying to put together an ultra low budget kit, an dcome up with one for about £50. Without going into too much boring detail I have found myself in the situation of being on a very low wage for the time being, and paying extortionate rent which is sadly actually the going rate in my area. Add in a pile of debt racked up whilst trying to follow the career of my choice, and Bob’s your uncle – naff all money, but a real need to get away from it all occasionally.

Anyway – I don’t feel this should stop me or others from enjoying nature, and I particularly take inspiration from the fact that Mr Mears has said many times that he also couldn’t afford any kit when he first started staying out, hence the reason for developing his bushcraft skills in the first place (and he hails from just down the road from me, so if he can, I can). Likewise, the common bushcraft mantra seems to be – however light your load, make it lighter!

I can’t drive (nor could I afford it), and I live in greater London. This means that generally I will be using public transport or possibly sponging a lift if I’m going somewhere relatively nearby. I will also likely only be staying anywhere for at most 2 nights, and most likely in some sort of campsite which allows fires etc, or a bit of low key wild camping. This is just for now, as I add to kit and learn skills I hope to be able to get the train all over the country and stay out longer.

This has affected my choice in kit – not only in terms of what I can realistically carry, but also in what I am comfortable carrying on public transport. For example, I considered getting a British Army machete instead of a forest axe since I will not be using it heavily anyway and it is potentially more versatile. However I am simply not happy carrying it in public, hidden or otherwise. There are often random bag searches at busy train stations in London, and there is a particular campsite I hope to visit in North London (travelling from South London) so I’d have to traverse the whole of the city using the tube. In such case, even if I was carrying a Mora knife and an axe, I’d still feel much happier explaining that than with a machete since, unfortunately, that’s often what people use to threaten each other with in my neck of the woods. Also, it means I will need to take a stove of some kind since many places will not allow a fire, or I will not want to bring attention to myself. Also, I need to assume that I won’t be allowed to cut any trees for wood.

It's probably also worth mentioning that my nearest army surplus store is a couple of towns away and a complete rip off, so none of this has come from army surplus stores (unless you count the bag from eBay).

So here’s my kit so far. I’ve worked this out at about £50 not including the extras at the bottom, but I think it’s pretty comprehensive and covers all the essentials for my situation. There is a what you might consider a bit of cheating going on since some of it I have been given for free, but they are common camping items so I think that most people will be able to beg or borrow the same items from friends or family like I have. ( I have starred the things I am yet to buy but have sourced – “one pay day at a time, sweet Jesus!”):

Backpack – Dutch Patrol Pack (35L) - £10 delivered, eBay, sorted.

*Knife – Frosts Mora Clipper - £10 (I am assuming that since I will not be using it
heavily, hopefully it won’t need sharpening for a month or two, by which time I hopefully can afford a whetstone etc.)

Tent – Free – An elderly family member who no longer goes rambling will let me
borrow a bivvy tent. I am hoping to blag it off of him since he no longer needs it (with is permission, of course), or at least for a small amount of money, a favour such as playing bridge with him or trimming his ear hair, or permanently ‘borrowing’ it! Camping has become so popular lately that I’m sure most people know somebody with a spare tent – young families often upgrade to bigger ones and double up on stuff, like…

Vango Sleeping bag – free – again, offered to me by a friend for nothing. Touch.

Stove – Hexi Stove - £4 – just in case, can’t really afford much else.
Pop can stove – free – again, just in case. I haven’t actually made it yet, but found plans on the internet. I also realise that the Trangia is not very expensive so I may get one, but for now I’ll go with this. Also, I suspect the pop can could be placed inside the hexi.

Fuel for stove – Hexi blocks are about 0.60p each, although I’d prefer not to use them
for various reason (smell, mess, non-eviro friendly), but good for back up. *Meths is about £4 for 500ml in B&Q, but may be able to get it cheaper in art shop. Again, I am hoping to use natural resources wherever possible, and only use a stove if necessary.

Other option – I’m also considering buying a few of the Canland Heat Pack’s (just the heater) for about £1.50 each, as another back up. Particularly if wild camping or I’m having a really bad time of it and am awaiting some sort of rescue(!), there is no need for a flame. But again, not very enviro-friendly if using often.

Food – Homemade/foraged – I’m not going to count the cost of this, since I’ll only be
out a couple of nights I’ll try and bring some non-spoilable or frozen grub from home. Will probably pick up a couple of vacu-packed meals for back-up/lazy days though – i.e. Look What We Found about £2.50 each, which can also be heated using the Heat Packs. Not cheap in my book, but hopefully won’t need to eat them often and they’ll keep for years.

Dry Bag – free - Bin bag/plastic bag.

*Roll Mat – About £5 – simple old fashioned black foam thingy.

*Billy – about £5 or free – I’ve not actually bought this yet, but I will either buy one
cheap one or a cheap nesting set for about £15 which is the price of one Zebra (billy that is, not the mammal, for £15 I would eat a Zebra every time I camp). I do realise that some people, especially strange Americans on youtube, suggest that you can just use an old coffee can or such like, but I’d rather just buy one for a few quid. Besides, I don’t drink much coffee, I’d have to buy a large tin of it specially, at probably the same price as a cheap billy, and then not sleep for about 3 years.

Water Bottle – free – forgive me if this is against the bushcraft rules or something, but
as things stand, I shan’t be buying a 58 pattern bottle. Sorry, but ‘bomb proof’ isn’t a major concern for me at this stage – although If I’m camping inside the M25 it might be. I’d love to get one, in fact I will one day, but for the sake of a couple of nights camping (probably on a site with water access) I will be using an empty 2 litre coke bottle for base camp and a half litre or so mineral water bottle to keep on me. Maybe I’ll paint them camo. Done.

Mug – free thermal mug, or enamal for £1ish – Again, I reckon almost everyone knows someone who has
one too many of these. They seem to be given away at conventions with company logos on and stuff, so they can’t be expensive. I’m well aware that I can’t put it straight on a flame! Can’t even remember where I got it, but I didn’t buy it.

*Utensils – KFS set for £3 delivered from eBay, obviously I could just take some from
home or use free plastic ones, but I fancy those ones that clip together with a tin opener. Takes me back to my (brief) air cadet days.

*Medical Kit – Again, pocket kit for about £4 posted from eBay.

Torch – Free – I defy anybody to tell me they don’t have a torch knocking around the
house. Most people have several, and no idea why! I realise it’s not the most reliable thing in the world, but I shall be taking a little LED torch I got form a pound shop ages ago (for a pound, obv.). It glows in the dark too. If I see a cheap maglite I might consider it.

Wash Kit (incl. toilet paper) – Free – come on. It doesn’t need to be special, take a
few bits from your bathroom and put them in a bag or wrap in a towel. Again, I’ll probably be spending a couple of nights trying to rough it on a camp site in the low season, so there will be amenities. If not, I’ll just smell until I get home.

Fire – Up to a £2 – I spent ages convincing myself I’d buy a firesteel so that I could
do that cool thing where you scrape the spine of your knife on it. And I’m sure I will at some point. But do you know what? It’s basically a lighter isn’t it? I still couldn’t improvise one if I was lost in the wild, I still have to carry it in, so I don’t see much difference between the two. For now, I’ll take some extra long cooks matches and a lighter. Maybe even a turbo one for when things get grim. And I promise to try a bow drill or something while I’m there.
Also I am planning to take some cotton wool as padding for noisy bits of kit, which can double as emergency tinder.

Possible extras:

*Bivvy Bag – around £10 to £15 – Not sure what the tent is like to sleep in yet, so I
may still like a bivvy bag. At least that way I can put the roll mat inside it.

*Folding Saw/axe – saw £5 B&Q, axe £10 B&Q – Yep, I’d like the Bahco, but if I
use one at all it’s likely to just be for breaking up palettes that some sites provide as free firewood.

*Denim Pouches – free – instead of leather ones for firelighting kit etc. I will
probably cut off the bottoms of a pair of old jeans and fashion them into a couple of pouches. Might even paint a celtic symbol on them in bleach or something. For that punk look you could get all Jackson Pollock on them.

Obviously everyone has their own approach as to what they’d prefer to pay for and what to save on (like the cutlery set), but I’ve tried to make a kit here for me in the first instance, but also for others in a similar situation: city based, beginners, can only stay out for short periods, and skint. So there’s a compromise here between cost, necessity, comfort and preference.

I will update (if you like), and also provide pictures at a later date.

Let me know if there’s anything important I’ve forgotten!

Cheers,

Woody

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A nice bit of kit there on a budget Woody. Plastic coke bottles make for great water containers as they can be rolled down small when not needed :)

One suggestion to save money is get down your local charity shops and look for stainless steel storage containers. They make great billycans and all you need to do is punch a couple holes in them to fit a wire bail handle. Quite often you can pick up a set that will nest inside each other :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
food wise nothing wrong with breakfast in a tin mug shots i think there 5 for £2 try and go for dry foods when your out only for a couple of nights regards dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A nice bit of kit there on a budget Woody. Plastic coke bottles make for great water containers as they can be rolled down small when not needed :)

One suggestion to save money is get down your local charity shops and look for stainless steel storage containers. They make great billycans and all you need to do is punch a couple holes in them to fit a wire bail handle. Quite often you can pick up a set that will nest inside each other :)
My book "A basic guide to making your own budget Bushcrafting equipment (available from me via the Makers Market section :) ) was written purely from my experience of making my kit on the cheap - mainly from recycled bits and bobs.
Cheap does not equate with poor quality and some of my home made kit has outlasted shop bought kit!

woodymellor

Jul 14, 2010
London
Thanks guys.

I'll have a look at that John, I did do a search for 'budget', but then this thread was as much for asking advice as offering it.

Dave - those breakfasts sound interesting, what are they called? I couldn't find anything on google.

Thanks Mesquite, will have a look. I've been meaning to go in to a few local charity shops to look for old camping gear and other things that can be adapted.

Cheers,

Woody.

ganstey

Settler
Looks pretty good.

Keep an eye out in your local Lidl/Aldi if you have one. My local Lidl has both a folding saw (£2.99) and a cheap axe (£8.99 I think) this week. Chosen carefully, and used within its limits, their stuff can be as good as many of the expensive designer makes.

Good luck and have fun
Graham

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Sounds like you're off to a good start mate, the main things are something to sleep under, something to sleep in and something to cook with and you have all of these covered, bushcraft isn't all about buying the best of kit.

We've all got to start somewhere and now that you have the basics you don't have to make any big expenses so could save money and upgrade bits of kit over time that's how I started out, the first time I went camping I took my school bag and the duvet off my bed and stole a tent :lol: so it's not all about having the best of gear.

Keep an eye on the gift it in thread as there are a lot of treasures on there.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Just a thought on your stove, £4 for 500ml of Meths is criminal. I found local hardware shops cheaper than the big sheds and can get 500ml for £2.75. Even this is too much and you can get 500ml for under £2 on ebay but you will have to buy a 5 litre container to get this price. Pure Methanol is even cheaper and I know several people on this forum use it for their stoves.

Yes you can make a small alcohol stove that will nest in a hexi stove but it will only hold enough fuel to heat a pint or maybe a tad more.

As for your knife, I feel if it will get used moderately it will need to be sharpened quicker than you realize. If it were me I would go for something like a Fallkniven DC3 or 4 diamond sharpener, costs a few quid but mine has been used a lot to touch up my blades and as it is pocket size is great for taking with you.

Steve.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I like your style mate and you've made some good choices/purchases!

check out the gift it on thread too for free stuff us members gift to eachother.

A good substitute to a heavy camp axe and a 'scary' machete might be a take down tomahawk, it'll cost more money but it has many uses and practicalities. http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Trail-Hawk-Tomahawk.html

I'll get one when I can scrape up some spare money and I also don't like carrying my machete (that I prefer to use) around with me due to people potentially getting the wrong idea.

Oh and get a compass just in case! ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Forget the Zebra pot and go for the nesting billy can set. Food wise, standard canned food does the job and is cheap compared to pouch meals.

Packet of five minute rice is about 50p, cook then add a can of chicken curry (£1) and you have an evening meal for £1.50. Can of all day breakfeast and a banna sorts you out until lunchtime then a couple of cup o soups and bread until dinner.

A Hexi is no good for a weekend away, I know your budget is tight but something like this will work out cheaper
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Com...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item2eb5f4894b

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Looks good...... I think you may have more than you will actually need..........Might be a bit optimistic expecting to get all that into the dutch patrol sack,though but you can always strap the tent ( hopefully it's not a canvas job with steel poles :) ) & sleeping bag on the outside..........I would forget the saw & axe for your first foray, until you know the area(s) you are planning to use better ( & the transport situation i.e. security).....you can probably make do with dead sticks & such lying around should you need/wish or are permitted to make a fire.........have fun.:D

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Looks good :)
I split my kit into groups:
Carrying kit- rucksack and dry bags
Shelter and sleeping- tarp with guylines and pegs, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, bivvy/hammock
Fire- Firesteel, tinder, lighter.
Cooking, food and water- Stove if no fire, Pot, Utensils, Millbank bag, Water bottle
Personal hygiene- Toothpaste/brush, soap, toilet paper
Clothing- Clothes, Waterproofs, Hat&Scarf
Tools- Knife, saw, dc4
Signalling & Navigation- Whistle, torch, headtorch
First aid

Extra.. Phone and Camera :)

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Well thought out Woody, bushcraft on a budget is do-able.

Most folk fowl of the "fashionable" bushcraft look or identity at some point or other e.g.; I must get myself an Indiana Jones hat or a name brand tarpaulin.

Respirator bags or PLCE utility pouches (strange RM/RN/shaky boat squadron types call them pooches) to store Trangia/cook kit/fuel will keep your bergan clean. I use an old cloth bank bag for smaller cook kits like coke can stove/hexi etc.

There is one piece of essential kit for the discerning outdoors person (which transcends fashion and fads) that you've overlooked are wellies, - folded over at the top. They're the way ahead man.

Good post.

All the best.

Liam.

woodymellor

Jul 14, 2010
London
Thanks for comments guys, lots to take onboard.

I've not had any experience with gas stoves - are the different refills interchangeable i.e. Coleman, Campingaz? And if so what sort of running cost is it i.e. how long do canisters last? I just ignored them on the assumption they would be more difficult/expensive to get refills for (bearing in mind I'll either have to get them delivered or get them from high st retailers).

The bag hasn't actually arrived form eBay yet, only bought it last night. But the plan was that I could add pouches to it if need be, and carry the sleeping mat & tent on the outside somewhere.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Not sure how long gas lasts but an alcohol stove should boil about 17 pints of water per 500ml of Meths which is about 12p per pint boiled if you get your Meths for £2?

I'm not sure if gas is cheaper or less weight per pint boiled than alcohol?

Steve.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Not sure how long gas lasts but an alcohol stove should boil about 17 pints of water per 500ml of Meths which is about 12p per pint boiled if you get your Meths for £2?

I'm not sure if gas is cheaper or less weight per pint boiled than alcohol?

Steve.

hmm.. doesn't sound too bad, deffinately worth find out how efficiant the two methods are.

anyone got any more knowledge on the matter? maybe start a new thread for it as I've been wondering about it myself for a while..

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi mate, I too am a fellow noob and pretty much ding the same as you, I have 4 children and a wife that is at college so am equally broke lol.
I am also in the process of putting together some sort of budget kit, and as for mesh kit/ stove, I bought a swedish army trangia like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swedish-A...ctables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item80113eeaa8

Its a stove, billy and small fry pan/lid that all clips together, and also a trangia burner and meths bottle.
The idea is you take the lot out wth you and if you cant light a fire (you can use the billy to cook over an open fire) you can use the trangia burner inside the windshield. I picked it up for £10 and its fantastic!!
I have also managed to buy and swap a few bits and bobs on here too in the classifieds, you would be suprised how much you can save if your quick!!

Best of luck mate keep us informed how your getting on.
Steve

Last edited:

woodymellor

Jul 14, 2010
London
They both look like options too. This is the trouble with stoves, it's probably the thing I've spent most time looking at (as I'm sure is the case for many people), and I just seem to go round in circles.

That Clas Ohlson one looks nifty, I didn't think there'd be a store anywhere near me but it turns out there's one in Kingston and Croydon which is do-able for me. Might email to see if they have any and then trot along and have a look.

In an ideal world I'd like to have the option of using wood in my stove too, but I suppose we would all like that! Perhaps I shall just spend my idle time making a hobo stove of some description.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE