My Budget Beginner City-dweller (BBC) Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
All looks good to me mate, and there has been planty of sound advice given so far too.

One thing I always carry with me, and is about a fiver, is an orange survival bag. You never know when things could go wrong, weather goes south and you or one of your party goes down with hypothermia. They can be lifesavers, literally. They are also great to keep stuff dry too.

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Paracord is good but search for Bankline on Youtube. Its a twisted nylon kinda line.
Its on a roll so much more then paracord and not so thick but thick enough.

Also Bungeecords are a very good item. Make a quick good shelter, a wiretrap ore pack something on your pack.

And a Poncho for making a good shelter (dont even need the tent with the poncho/bivvi bag combo) and you stay dry when it rains.
Getting Wet is one of the biggest nasty things in the woods.

Otherwise your 'budgetkit' is a very nice one!

Last edited:
For someone new to all this and on a budget the gas stove is a good option and certainly better than hexi. I am a Trangia advocate, love them and if you had a better budget I would have recommended a Trangia 27

These are a good alternative if you have a store nearby http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=164029951

The gas stove I linked to takes the standard screw canisters.

Lidels have done them from time to time got one for £8 a couple of years ago which is cheaper than a replacement Trangia burner

Oh Woodymellor nothing wrong with 2 ltr coke bottles as a Water carrier used em for years if you get the small bottle with the drinking lid it fits the larger bottles to i carry mine empty rolled up and fill it at or just before making camp i carry a full small bottle for day use

for larger group camps you get the 3,4 or 5 ltr squash bottles that come withe a carry handle

bottle3.jpg

bottle1.jpg

you can make better more efficient meths stoves from coke cans

stove1.jpg

or even wood gas stoves from food tins

WS5.jpg

WS9.jpg

woodymellor

Jul 14, 2010
London
Yeah, I thought about the hammock/tarp but even the cheapest ones are considerably more than a free tent. Which, by the way, I was told last night I could have - and I didn't even ask. It's much better than I thought, not a bivvy tent at all, but a 2 person tent. Thought 4.5kg might be too heavy but I carried it on the 30min walk home last night no probs, and promplty put it up in my living room (same size as tent) for a laugh.

I like the water bottles, didn't think of using cord around the top. And that wood stove is talking my language, even made from Sainsbury's Basics tins too! Sainsbury is pricey though.

I'm in a 1 bed flat with very few tools, so I can't undertake any big or messy projects, but might be able to manage that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE