Tribe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Paganwolf said:
FANTASTIC! Great program, it tears my heart apart to see the damage done by logging though Ive seen this first hand in Borneo and it sickens me to see it here too, i remember stopping to look at a beautiful jungle view in front of a large hill sadly when we got to the other side of the hill a mining company had removed the other side to crush up for building materials :cry:

I remember my first taste of the damage done by logging, after three days of walking though pristine jungle we suddenly walked out it to a huge clearing devoid of trees, just rubble and piles of logs, I was stunned.... even more so when I saw the big road bulldozed to the clearing that snaked away though the jungle.

a short distance from the clearing was the long house of long luban here the logging companies with the assistance of the Malaysian government* had built a long house to house the Nomadic penan that lived in the forest they were cutting down.

*(governments don’t like nomads, they don’t pay taxes, they difficult to control, and they are embarrassing to a country who wants to be modern, they prefer settling them. logging companies like to settle them as it keeps them distracted and lessens the chance of them becoming hostile)

the penan that had settled down in the long house were excited, they had a generator and electric lights, a radio, and even a TV with a video player to watch the two videos they had been given.

they didn’t know just how many trees the logging company was going to cut down, they didn’t realise that when the loggers moved on the would stop supplying them with diesel for the generator or that they would not be able to hunt to feed themselves because of the damage to the land around them.

they did not know that this had happened to so many other groups of penan in before them, settled in longhouses to keep them happy and passive whilst the land is destroyed, then abandoned by the companies, only then realising that they had no food and the rivers were tainted, only the realizing that they had been cheated.

they can not go back to their hunter gather life as the forest is gone, and they do not understand the new modern money driven world that they now find themselves a part of.

On my last day at long luban I went fishing with a penan man from the village, I noticed that he did not fish in the river in the valley we were in but walked some distance over to the next valley instead. When we got back to the long house to someone who could translate I asked why? he told me that there were no fish in the valley anymore, they had gone since the loggers came, he didn’t know why they had gone, he thought maybe the noise of the chainsaws scared them like the animals.

when I had flown over the jungle on my way to the landing strip at Bario before I stared my walk in there had been heavy cloud cover, when I flew out however my heart sank as I saw with clear skys that the jungle was covered in a criss cross network of bulldozed roads and clearings with landslides in places where the clearing had removed the trees holding the soil togeather.

its very easy to cheat people who's culture is based on sharing, a people who's language does not have words for thief or stolen, and if you cant cheat them... like some of the penan who have fought back?.... well you arrest them of course.... the land belongs to the loggers they bought it from the govenment.

In Mulu I visited a penan village were the they were settled by the loggers over a decade ago. They were doing well and made a living selling baskets and trinkets to the tourists that came to visit the caves, it gave me hope for those that I had come to know at long luban, but the transition had been hard and a lot of suffering had been endured before they etched out a place in this new world they found themselves in.

I hope those at long luban do as well in the future, they have hard times ahead.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Next one's on tonight everyone.....

21:00 Today
BBC2
Tribe
Documentary series in explorer Bruce Parry spends time with some of the world's most isolated tribes. While living with the nomadic Darhad herders of Mongolia, he helps a migrating family move their livestock across a high mountain pass

Duration: 60mins

(Just updated it in the calendar too).

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well reminded Bambam - one of my favourite peoples tonight - top tv!! :biggthump

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Really looking forward to tonights prog,as Mongolia is a place that i've always wanted to go to,especially that meeting each year the tribes have where they have horse racing,archery,wrestling ect.am sure one of Mr Mears programmes took place in Mongolia at this meeting where he was invited to take part in the wrestling and proceeded to open a can of the proveriable whoop bottom on the local wrestling types.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I'm lookin' forward to tonights show as well. I went to Mongolia 3 years ago and it will be nice to see it again! It is my all time favourite place in the world, so it will be nice to see how Bruce presents its people and the country in general! CLEM, the horse riding, archery and wrestling your talking about is the Nadaam festival, celebrating the '3 manly sports' I missed it by 2 days when I went! It would be good if Bruce included that in his show as well.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I can't believe it!!!! Thats the exact same area I stayed in 3 years ago. Absolutly brilliant to see it again. Bruce showed the people just as they are....friendly and peaceful. For me, it was good to see Khovsgol nuur (lake) and jiglig pass again, as I treked along its western shore and over the mountains in the same place. But the highlight had to be the small town of Renchenclumbe!!! The best place on earth!!!!!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
did anyone tape tonights.... mongolia is probably THE place i am most drawn to (i dont know why) and i would love to see it...!! :wave:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tomtom its om Blairs Broadcasting Corporation so they will have the dvd in the shops sooner or later. Which in this case is great because I can honestly say that I believe it to be the best programme of its type I have seen in years.

Also I suspect next weeks programme is the last int he series. any know for sure? :?:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I saw it last night, what a great programme! Breath of fresh air...
I never usually manage to catch these programmes, i struck it lucky when i switched over and tought "this was what they were talking about!".

:biggthump

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Next week's episode should be the last as there were 6 episodes planned. Bruce is going to live with the Sanema tribe in the Venezuelan jungle. And yes it's the same tribe Ray Mears has visited for "world of survival"! He's also going to try som e drug snuff (just like Redmond O'Hanlon did). Here's the details:

Mon 7 Feb, 21:00 - 22:00 60 mins
Bruce Parry learns the secrets of the spirits when he joins the Sanema, in Venezuela, to discover the strange dual-reality world in which they live.
The Sanema believe spirits dwell in everything - the river, the rocks and the animals around them - in a world as real to them as the jungle they live in. And their shamen can commune with such spirits through using hallucinogenic snuff. Now Bruce faces the task of training as a shaman to get an insight into their experiences.
His first foray with the snuff makes him light-headed. And as they prepare him for his big day, the shamen tell him what to look out for in his dreams, which is when the spirits come unbidden. Turtle, armadillo and anteater spirits are all said to circulate. According to the shamen, the spirits will leave a song for Bruce to remember in the morning.
When his big day dawns, Bruce is prepared by being painted with red dye and wearing what looks like pom-poms on his head. And as the snuff sends him reeling, and he borrows a spirit song from.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Another blinder last night...so sad that there's only one more to go now....then again I guess there aren't that many tribes left ....(This week Bruce travels to deepest Sussex to meet the untamed Ashdown Tribe, he learns how to carve the perfect spoon before building up to his initiation of gravity defying leaps beside the fire....will he be able to land with all the grace and elegance of Master Shinobi??? :eek:): )

The family in last nights show were so nice and had a great sense of humour....the Father explaining to Bruce that with wild horses the best place to be was on the other side of a fence was so funny!

I also really liked that they chose to leave in the embarrassing bit where he let his horse loose and it legged it back to town with him chasing it part of the way...IMO most tv presenters would have edited this sort of things out so they didn't look daft in there own minds....Bruce doesn't give a monkeys and was clearly as amused with himself as he was embarrassed....it's the sort of mistake a lot of us westerners would have made and to me it showed Bruce was really just one of the lads and in no way stuck up his own bum! :ekt:

It's never a place I've been that keen to go to but I'm certainly more interested in the area now....

Roll on next weeks show....... :super:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I reckon Bruce has a hidden agenda here I think he's found a way to get the BBC to fund Drug sampling trips. :wink:

first the hallucinogenic root in Babon, now some hallucinogenic snuff in Venezuela.

and what was the stuff he was snorting from the jade container in mongolia??

prehapes the following trips will be in search of white powder in columbia and flower picking in hills of afghanistan :roll:

still I am more than happy to watch him, best telly in ages

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:
(This week Bruce travels to deepest Sussex to meet the untamed Ashdown Tribe, he learns how to carve the perfect spoon before building up to his initiation of gravity defying leaps beside the fire....will he be able to land with all the grace and elegance of Master Shinobi???

Cheeky :p It takes 12 years of Ninjutsu training to be able to land that safely, but only one bottle of sloe gin to cause it !!

As for Tribe last night, both Michelle and I got the feeling that Bruce didn't seem to be at ease as he usually is. I don't know what it was, just something wasn't right with him. Did anyone else pick this up?

Martin

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Stuart said:
I reckon Bruce has a hidden agenda here I think he's found a way to get the BBC to fund Drug sampling trips. :wink:

first the hallucinogenic root in Babon, now some hallucinogenic snuff in Venezuela.

and what was the stuff he was snorting from the jade container in mongolia??

prehapes the following trips will be in search of white powder in columbia and flower picking in hills of afghanistan :roll:

still I am more than happy to watch him, best telly in ages

You may be onto something there Stuart.... and as I said lower down I'm 100% convinced it wasn't just tabacco he was smoking in the jungle when he had that thorn pushed through his nose....they were all giggling like.....like a group of students at a frat party! lol :rolmao:

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Some truely moving television. And what a lucky man to be able to experience so much, it will be a shame to see these programmes come to an end.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
bambodoggy said:
Another blinder last night...so sad that there's only one more to go now....then again I guess there aren't that many tribes left ....(This week Bruce travels to deepest Sussex to meet the untamed Ashdown Tribe, he learns how to carve the perfect spoon before building up to his initiation of gravity defying leaps beside the fire....will he be able to land with all the grace and elegance of Master Shinobi??? :eek:): )

The family in last nights show were so nice and had a great sense of humour....the Father explaining to Bruce that with wild horses the best place to be was on the other side of a fence was so funny!

I also really liked that they chose to leave in the embarrassing bit where he let his horse loose and it legged it back to town with him chasing it part of the way...IMO most tv presenters would have edited this sort of things out so they didn't look daft in there own minds....Bruce doesn't give a monkeys and was clearly as amused with himself as he was embarrassed....it's the sort of mistake a lot of us westerners would have made and to me it showed Bruce was really just one of the lads and in no way stuck up his own bum! :ekt:

It's never a place I've been that keen to go to but I'm certainly more interested in the area now....

Roll on next weeks show....... :super:

I LIKE YOUR STYLE SIR :You_Rock_

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
shinobi said:
Cheeky :p It takes 12 years of Ninjutsu training to be able to land that safely, but only one bottle of sloe gin to cause it !!

As for Tribe last night, both Michelle and I got the feeling that Bruce didn't seem to be at ease as he usually is. I don't know what it was, just something wasn't right with him. Did anyone else pick this up?

Martin

I thought the same thing watching the programme before last but he looked ok in this one. Maybe the difference was in this one he worked hard and they were on the move alot, most of the other prog's have been filmed in a village and as such he has had more time to 'get settled in' - who knows?

That four year old lad will be carrying on tradition though so hats off to that kid!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE