Zebra Billy Modification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Here's a quick question.
The lid on a Zebra billy has a metal bar for a handle. But that gets hot.
So, have any of you found a simple modification so that you can take the lid off without having to either glove-up or burn fingers.
I was going to screw a small stubby wooden handle to it, but can't find any way of getting a screwdriver beneath the handle.
Anyone have any ingenious ideas?

P.s. I'm not talking about the bail arm, I'm referring to the metal bit on the lid.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
Maybe drill all the way through the stubby handle and countersink the top so the screw goes down through as opposed to up through???

I've always used a teaspoon.

Last edited:

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I use one of these

Thumbnail.aspx

I find the prongs on top useful for lifting the lid. and the gripper for picking up and tipping the pot. I have replaced the bail arm with wire.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tie a bit of string on it......

Same here Gary:)

But;

I'd make myself up some strong twine, from either nettle skin, Wych elm bark or honeysuckle bark, then tie a loop of said twine,through the lid handle;)

Any of the above materials make a very good cord but honeysuckle is the easiest, simply requiring collection, then twisting into cord.

R.B.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Keep it simple, go the twig route.

But, if you feel you really MUST modify it, use a self-tapping screw. That way there's no need for access from below the metal bar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE