YouTube - Stuff and nonsense. (Bit of a rant.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Am I the only person that isn't addicted to YouTube?
angry14.gif

One of the reasons I like this site so much is that people usually take the time to write information down so that we can skim through quickly to see whether it's worth reading in full.

The problem with YouTube is that it commits you to 3, 5 even 10 minutes of time, often wasted, because what's being shown wasn't even that interesting in the first place.

BcUSA is full of the stuff and it's one of the reasons that I find the place much less interesting than BcUK.

It would seem though that random YouTube presentations are on the increase here as well now.

Perhaps it's just the prevalence of Video gizmos on digital cameras that make people want to talk for 5 minutes to an imagined audience instead of actually writing down the relevant information.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the point of using video to demonstrate something that moves or actually does something, but talking heads with inanimate objects are just not that interesting. That's why the news cuts away to some moving footage as often as they can, even if they have to make it up.

Directing and editing video to make it interesting is a difficult job, that's why I haven't done much of it since I left college, life's too short and pictures with text often do a much better job.
steamed.gif

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
angry14.gif

..."

No you are not alone, I don't mind a link to an interesting video but a little bit of text explaining what I will see before I commit to watching would be nice.

If I think I might be interested I will usually download the video rather than watch it then and there and later on I will quickly fast forward through it and if what I see zipping past at speed looks interesting I will watch it.

And yes, talking heads with nothing being demonstrated are generally binned without being watched.

There are exceptions, MikeLA's recent thread offered no explanation to what I might see other than the names Tom Roycroft & Mors Kochanski, now that was worth a watch. :)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am with you all the way!
If I see a "you tube" link without some sort of explaination of what I am going to see ... I pass!
Most "you tube" videos seem to be done by the untrained, the unknowing or the totally boring -0 there are gems out there but most clips do not seem worth the effort... so I rarely visit.
Threads on here with words and pictures usually prove more informative and interesting to me....

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hahaha, yup, I agree, sometimes it can be good to see something moving as opposed to a still shot, or being able to say what you couldn't type, as in I sometimes find it hard to convert my thoughts into type whereas I can blurt it out.

I don't watch a lot you tube stuff simply because unless its a TV clip its mostly Tosh any how,

A lot of the tutorials are hard to follow, the reviews dint give the information I want or its a brand new item and they have not given any actual user feedback, very much like Natives review of the wash thing. Seems a lot of people on there trying to be TV presenters too.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Got any examples you'd like share? :)

It would be unkind to name and shame but I've been lured into watching some awful rubbish from time to time.

Mostly these days I just don't bother with YouTube clips unless I'm pretty sure it's worth my time.

Sadly that probably means I probably miss some good stuff but it's just not worth hours of wading through detritus for the occasional nugget of gold I might find.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
not a big fan. I tend to only use it to look for specific music tracks, before I buy them. I find the over powering need to overlay their favourite power track, over the video extremely annoying.

anyway thats my 50p worth LOL

Got to admit that's what I use it for mainly as well when I'm bored watching my favourite old childhood cartoons like Roadrunner and Wile E Coyote :eek:

I know I've posted a few links 'technique' videos but that's usually in response to a question or similar... like the spatchcocked cow video I sent Damian :)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
not a big fan. I tend to only use it to look for specific music tracks, before I buy them. I find the over powering need to overlay their favourite power track, over the video extremely annoying.

anyway thats my 50p worth LOL

:D

[video=youtube;wu4-Ack4Fn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu4-Ack4Fn8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That was just too macabre and strangely weird to miss out :notworthy It was like watching a lava lamp, once you start you're there for the duration

Oh yes... and in that particular case the video was the best means to to show that.

Words just can't begin to describe the whole process :D

Oh heck... that means I've got to go find the damn thing again :rolleyes::lmao:

Right... for those who want to see the spatchcocked cow video drop me a PM as I'd rather not post a direct link on here as it involves the processing of the cow from live animal to cooked.

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
angry14.gif

One of the reasons I like this site so much is that people usually take the time to write information down so that we can skim through quickly to see whether it's worth reading in full.

The problem with YouTube is that it commits you to 3, 5 even 10 minutes of time, often wasted, because what's being shown wasn't even that interesting in the first place.

BcUSA is full of the stuff and it's one of the reasons that I find the place much less interesting than BcUK.

It would seem though that random YouTube presentations are on the increase here as well now.

Perhaps it's just the prevalence of Video gizmos on digital cameras that make people want to talk for 5 minutes to an imagined audience instead of actually writing down the relevant information.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the point of using video to demonstrate something that moves or actually does something, but talking heads with inanimate objects are just not that interesting. That's why the news cuts away to some moving footage as often as they can, even if they have to make it up.

Directing and editing video to make it interesting is a difficult job, that's why I haven't done much of it since I left college, life's too short and pictures with text often do a much better job.
steamed.gif

Yup, you pretty much nailed it good. There are some good-even great-vids on ewetube but the wasteland you have to wade through to find them is mind numbing.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
And of course lets not forget this epic film, you have to watch till the end without scrolling to fully appreciate the skill of the cinematographer :cool:

[video=youtube;ASaiKxzxxfA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=ASaiKxzxxfA[/video]

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
1 minute then ditch or dally, I can spare that, whilst the kettles boiling. However, there are presenters who are their own worst enemy with 5 mins talk to camera before the action starts.
Alan

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I give up on watching youtube clips on this subject. I don't have any sound and most of them involve a 7 minute video of someone talking and waving a knife and talking and talking and talking and waving a knife about, lips still moving and then ........ 20 seconds of demonstrating whatever it was they were going to do. :banghead:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE