YouTube - Stuff and nonsense. (Bit of a rant.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Youtube is great for certain things but I don't bother with bushcraft on it. It's generally the comments on any youtube video that make me lose the will to live and lose all faith in humanity!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love watching any Youtube video that begins with

"Hold my beer and watch this" :D

But generally, I like tutorials. I like them because I want to shamesleesly copy the...recipe...technique....construction .....whatever it is.

A good example lately is the ropemaking thread. My only previous exposure was a quarter century or so ago when my daughter watched "Rosie and Jim". Seeing people make wooden gears and the like...priceless. But photos can be studied and re-read. If I tried to copy it, a set of step by step instructions also helps.

A video can be useful for showing a moving action - but I agree with Wayland, most aren't.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Maybe your classics are good Hoodoo, but some of the folk and rock groups I listened to live years ago have had videos posted, and they are truly cringeworthy :sigh:

There's one caveat to all this negativity.....if someone (other than Shewie who likes to extract the urine :p ) whom I like and trust tells me that suchandsuch is worth watching, then I'll make the effort to go and have a looksee. While there are some truly excellent bushcrafty ones, most seem to be put up by folks with too much time on their hands and not enough discrimination to see that just because they can make a video and post, it really doesn't mean that they 'have' to.

cheers,
M

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
It would be unkind to name and shame but I've been lured into watching some awful rubbish from time to time.

Mostly these days I just don't bother with YouTube clips unless I'm pretty sure it's worth my time.

Sadly that probably means I probably miss some good stuff but it's just not worth hours of wading through detritus for the occasional nugget of gold I might find.[/Q

Sums it up for me too..... :(

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
:lmao::lmao:

Well Toddy, I generally agree with you but there are actually some great videos on you choob that are of historical importance. For instance, there are some fantastic old blues videos. But it's the carnage that you have to sort through anymore to find something worthwhile that totally sucks. As someone else said, there are also some good tutorials (some really good woodcarving tutorials) but there are a TON of pathetic "tutorials" as well. Too bad we don't have a list of "time worthy" videos. I know over on the Woodcarving Illustrated forum, one of the members made up a list of good carving videos and that is very useful.

Cain't do a full list but at least one good poster on youtube is Colhane (he posts in this forum as Pict) I like his videos (So does Toddy; at least she liked the one about ropemaking) He posts about his bushcrafting in Brazil.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No description available

[video=youtube;cZxXrs6u_iw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZxXrs6u_iw[/video]

I watch more videos that are linked to from here, than anywhere else.

Lots of youtube videos are terrible, still far better than lots on the telly though :rolleyes:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Cain't do a full list but at least one good poster on youtube is Colhane (he posts in this forum as Pict) I like his videos (So does Toddy; at least she liked the one about ropemaking) He posts about his bushcrafting in Brazil.

Yup, I have met Mr. Colhane personally. :) I still think he's CIA. :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I watch the odd music vid, and possibly a technical video on a subject I need for work on a really odd bit of tech. But when it comes to bushy or other hobby stuff it can be a unadulterated turd field.

Last year around October / November I wanted to make sure my folks had a bag in their cars with some basics in like a little food, water, torch etc if the weather got bad. Looked around and found a bag from 5.11 tactical called the Moab 6, I could not really get a idea of the size or what the internal pockets where like so off to youtube... wow seriously there are some people in this world that really really scare me, most of the vids ended up being from american preper / tactical nuts (most of whom I can only assume never served in any kind of armed forces) a guy complained because shock horror a little 8in tall bag would not take his full frame revolver and continued to say something along the lines of "If this was really a tactical bag it would be able to stop X bullet at Y distance and then shot his bag to prove a point?? *shudder* I ended up getting a few of them after I saw a sane Norwegian fellow demonstrate the bag in the way that I wanted to use them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I watch the odd music vid, and possibly a technical video on a subject I need for work on a really odd bit of tech. But when it comes to bushy or other hobby stuff it can be a unadulterated turd field.

Last year around October / November I wanted to make sure my folks had a bag in their cars with some basics in like a little food, water, torch etc if the weather got bad. Looked around and found a bag from 5.11 tactical called the Moab 6, I could not really get a idea of the size or what the internal pockets where like so off to youtube... wow seriously there are some people in this world that really really scare me, most of the vids ended up being from american preper / tactical nuts (most of whom I can only assume never served in any kind of armed forces) a guy complained because shock horror a little 8in tall bag would not take his full frame revolver and continued to say something along the lines of "If this was really a tactical bag it would be able to stop X bullet at Y distance and then shot his bag to prove a point??...

LOL. Was he wearing the bag at the time?

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
It was hung off a tree if my memory serves me correctly. But in horror I watched a few of his other videos and my god the man was a imbecile I am not joking when he said something along the lines of water purification is for wussies, all water is safe to drink and made a rather racist comment about people in Africa and drinking dirty water with sewage in it and not dieing etc, I felt physically sick after that.

One insane individual, that I am glad to have a ocean separating us.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE