YouTube - Stuff and nonsense. (Bit of a rant.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I give up on watching youtube clips on this subject. I don't have any sound and most of them involve a 7 minute video of someone talking and waving a knife and talking and talking and talking and waving a knife about, lips still moving and then ........ 20 seconds of demonstrating whatever it was they were going to do. :banghead:

That's the big issue I have with them. Too much waffle.

I must admit I've made some boring youtube vids though, just to show a little bit of knifemaking. Not massive long things so I don't feel too bad and they're easier than writing a description out in a way that could be followed. I don't think they get searched for and found though.

Unboxing videos should be banned.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
but take longer,...

and seeing as lifes too short,...maybe the person posting has better things to do.

:rolleyes:

But surely that is the point, if you have something you want to get out to the world, make the effort!

Even if it is only to write a paragraph explaining what your hope the viewer might expect to see or gain from watching your video. If nothing else more folks might take the time to watch it.

However if you have better things to do, why bother in the first place. :)

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
But surely that is the point, if you have something you want to get out to the world, make the effort!

Even if it is only to write a paragraph explaining what your hope the viewer might expect to see or gain from watching your video. If nothing else more folks might take the time to watch it.

However if you have better things to do, why bother in the first place. :)

and the irony is,.......

weve spend longer discussing it than we ever intended to, .....

hahahahaha

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep, there's a lot of trash on youtube. I do like some of the tutorials though; seeing something done is infinitely better than trying to figure out just what printed words mean or trying to figure out the words to explain clearly as Southey pointed out. Although even then you need to wade through some absolute garbage to find a good tutorial.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Too many "you tube" tutorials are done by folk who exibit the fact that they do not have a clue about what they are purporting to teach - examples I have seen are a couple on Coke can stoves and how to chop down trees and the classic - how to light a fire!
There are some glorious examples of those out there!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Too many "you tube" tutorials are done by folk who exibit the fact that they do not have a clue about what they are purporting to teach - examples I have seen are a couple on Coke can stoves and how to chop down trees and the classic - how to light a fire!

As I said, you have to wade through some true garbage. The cooking ones are the ones I usually like the most (IF! And I say IF! They are done well by those who know what they are doing) Particularly the ones put out by Texas Parks division on dutch oven cooking.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA

Yup, and yet they think they are knowledgeable. One of the classics I recall is a self-proclaimed expert trying to chop a tree with a splitting axe. It was almost sad to watch if you weren't so disgusted. And even worse, this person has a cult following. Post on ewetube and you are an instant "authority" no matter how totally useless or bogus your information is.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Problem is, there are folks with varying degrees of talent.

Wayland, pics are works of art, your posts are well written and colourful.
Compare that to say one of my threads and the pics are dry and the wording factual but certainly not as colourful.

It's the same with vids.
There are some out there i really enjoy, others are a waste of time even if you skip through them.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thank you, I didn't realise my writing was that colourful, but my point is that it's a lot easier to sift the good stuff out of a page of text, no matter how dry it is, than to find the point in an interminable video.

Personally i think that if a person has a talent it doesn't matter to me if that talent is presented in a written or a visual media.
Besides even the dry and boring vids sometimes have a nugget of good info in them.

Which i prefer really depends on my mood and what i'm viewing them on.

If i'm on my home PC then the monitors refresh rate puts a strain on the eyes after reading for more than 10 mins, so vids are easier on the eyes.
If i'm on my phone then it's better to read than watch a vid on a screen that's THAT small i can't see if they're skinning a rat or a horse.

On my laptop it's a mix between to 2.

Also depends on my mood and the weather as well.

Still have that pics you sent me as my desktops btw goodjob

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you run your cursor along the bottom edge of the video while it is playing, you will see a photo of what is to come. That is how I knew Shewie's video was going nowhere. ;)

I've found that feature usefull too. Unfortunately not all videos do this.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Last time I was negative about youtube I got flamed :sigh:

It's mostly complete dross. There are definitely a few nuggests of brilliancy, but on the whole it's dire, truly dire.

For me the name's a total, "let's not go there!", in the first place......in the local patois to call someone, " a choob" is to call them a total idiot :D To insult them directly one would say, "You Choob! " :rolleyes:

Actually, come to think on it, the name suits most of the folks who post on it :sigh:

M

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
To insult them directly one would say, "You Choob! " :rolleyes:

:lmao::lmao:

Well Toddy, I generally agree with you but there are actually some great videos on you choob that are of historical importance. For instance, there are some fantastic old blues videos. But it's the carnage that you have to sort through anymore to find something worthwhile that totally sucks. As someone else said, there are also some good tutorials (some really good woodcarving tutorials) but there are a TON of pathetic "tutorials" as well. Too bad we don't have a list of "time worthy" videos. I know over on the Woodcarving Illustrated forum, one of the members made up a list of good carving videos and that is very useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE