Anyone else a bit like this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I suspect not, given most of you lot are in are in that s-1 camp, where s is the number of knives/rucksacks/items etc owned that would result in your partner separating from you...

But I often find myself failing to commit to a purchase - I wouldn't mess someone about by contacting them, more I look at things online - not even bushcraft specific, even things I'm actively on the hunt for, but then I find myself hesitating to purchase them... almost actively waiting for another to buy it, so I can sit back and go "ah well, missed it this time"....

Alternatively, things I'm in desperate need to buy often to get nabbed before I even see them :lol: ....

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Same here. Give it a week and see if it’s still available/desirable.

I went through a stage of impulse buys, luckily I had the means then. Now I agonise for ages over a purchase.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I grew up with every pocket money purchase getting the "do you need that? " and "but will you use it?" / "when will you really use it?" sort of questions. Now they're so deeply ingrained that the voice is within my own head.

Now my purchases operates on the one out means one in. Except for cheap purchases or a couple of years I had a purchasing splurge on outdoor kit. Most I needed but stoves were mostly luxurious hobby purchases.

When my waterproof started showing pinholes all the way and leaked I had to get a new waterproof but until that point I can't make that purchase. Now money is tight so I really have to plan for things. I repair instead of replace. Some of my work clothes are held together with my rather poor needlework. But it's not my green credentials doing that but the "do you need it?" Mind games I had as a kid doing it. Mind you I'm not really seeing that as an issue, I think it makes sense. I'm not wealthy enough to just buy things when I want notneed.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I'm doing that at this very moment regarding a car. I think it's a psychological guard against buyer's remorse.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a little mantra of 'S-B-S' I try to murmur to myself

Stop
Buying
S##t

They say it takes 90 days to train a new habit - maybe worth trying to rewire the brain with a 90 day challenge.

Also I do like the Plum App ( Other apps maybe available ) for being able to move and deposit easy to get to money ( instant regrettable consumer therapy ) to a different secure deposit account.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a friend who totally ruins every shopping trip by saying, "Do you really need that ?".
The answer is often, "Technically no, but I would like 'this', and I can afford 'this', is it really any of your concern ?".
I haven't shopped with her for months now because of the total downer she puts on every outing with that sanctimonious/parsimonious, "Do you really need that ?". Why should I have to defend my choices to her ?

I usually have a running list of things I'm looking for, and if I see something that's on my mental tally, and it's a decent price, then I'll buy it. I'm inclined to shop in bursts. Have a day of it and it's done.
I absolutely loath spending hours looking at stuff in big stores or shopping malls. I think the internet is brilliant, it's easy to search and find multiple sellers/ options, etc.,
I do like quality, and I do like a bargain :)

If I don't have the money, I do without and I don't go looking.

I do look after stuff, I clean it, I keep it in good order, I repair, etc., but stuff wears out, or is no longer suitable, or I'd prefer a different size/shape/style/ whatever.

Do I end up with multiple redundancies of 'stuff' ?
Sometimes, but I'm usually happy to pass extras along. On the whole I think most of us rationalise our tools/kit to what we know works....eventually :)

M

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I think to start with, I have to say, I can afford food, I have a roof over my head and I have clothes on my back and hobbies, so I am certainly not poor, there are many people who are struggling in this world and my 1st world problems do not make me one of them, but I am by no means "flush" so I find more middle ground purchases are the sort that make an "affordable" (as in I have the money to spend) dent, but it's the buyers remorse (as mentioned) of spending an extremely hard to replace sum of cash.... plus I have this anxiousness that "something" is always around the corner that I'll really need the money for.

I find some things make a lot more sense that I mull them over - I'm looking at parting ways with my current van and getting something a little bigger, naturally no one wants to buy a lemon, so I don't have an issue with umming and ahhing about that... But it's other things that are maybe a few hundred £'s which tend to be versions of things that could be bought a lot cheaper... I'm looking at a guitar which I'd like to get with some money I was left - rather than splurge it on takeaway coffees or just spend it, I'd like to somewhat "lock it up" like that... but pulling the trigger....

Reactions: Kadushu and Toddy

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I’m patient, if I can’t buy it cheap I tend to do without until one comes along…for instance, last weekend I bought a Fallkniven F1, a WW2 folding wire cutter and a draw knife….all these are things that I‘ve wanted for a while. I got the lot for £35.
I‘m tight as a ducks ar#e but always ready to pounce on a bargain.

Reactions: Toddy

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Well since I can get £40 for the draw knife, £25 for the folding wire cutters and probably in the region of £100 for the F1 Fallkniven I should be ok.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think some of us are Human magpie whilst others have a bit more self control. Of course you should be able to spend your money on what you want.
( Please bear in mind if you agree with that sentiment it also holds true for Mr Bezos and Mr Musk et al. )

I have recently gone through my shed and found knives that I had forgotten I had purchased on random magpie whims. A bit of a ' AhaaaaHaa- Ooooh.... ' moment :)

Reactions: Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I think some of us are Human magpie whilst others have a bit more self control. Of course you should be able to spend your money on what you want.
( Please bear in mind if you agree with that sentiment it also holds true for Mr Bezos and Mr Musk et al. )

I have recently gone through my shed and found knives that I had forgotten I had purchased on random magpie whims. A bit of a ' AhaaaaHaa- Ooooh.... ' moment :)
It’s like unexpectedly running into old friends

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon

Oh I agree. To be honest I don't care what those guys spend their dosh on... people are allowed to do as they wish, even submersible trips of a lifetime...

I think I have a bit too much self control or overthought about tomorrow and what it may throw at me... plus I think there is also that horror thought of buying something then finding an even better version the next day.

Equally, I have hankering to do something silly with a car or a van and that really seems like spending money on something fun but somewhat pointless in the grand scheme of things...

Last edited:

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
I'm looking at a guitar which I'd like to get with some money I was left - rather than splurge it on takeaway coffees or just spend it, I'd like to somewhat "lock it up" like that... but pulling the trigger....

Which model... worth considering second hand on eBay or OEM from AliExpress as a lot of low to mid end guitars are just China OEM with retail branding, sold at 2x the price.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Look on the bright side. If you didn't have the money or time to waste looking for stuff you don't really want to buy anyway, you'd be even more frustrated. :rolleyes:

DaveJC

Jun 1, 2019
Norfolk
I suspect not, given most of you lot are in are in that s-1 camp, where s is the number of knives/rucksacks/items etc owned that would result in your partner separating from you...

But I often find myself failing to commit to a purchase - I wouldn't mess someone about by contacting them, more I look at things online - not even bushcraft specific, even things I'm actively on the hunt for, but then I find myself hesitating to purchase them... almost actively waiting for another to buy it, so I can sit back and go "ah well, missed it this time"....

Alternatively, things I'm in desperate need to buy often to get nabbed before I even see them :lol: ....
Nope, I don't have a problem. After nearly 60 years of marriage my other half always says, "If you want buy it. You can't take it with you". So I am very lucky. I think she gave up on my gear collecting mania a long time ago.

Reactions: Toddy and Seagull

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE