Youth work?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
Good evening,
I wonder if I could canvas some views from you all.

I am considering joining a youth group as a leader. I have CRB status etc so there should be no issues there. I do work shifts which would prevent my attendance every Thursday for instance, but with this comes long periods of days off, so I'm sure I could be of use in lots of ways.

Clearly I have a love of the woods and bushcraft, I have almost a decades experience with the TA before I left to settle and have a family. As a kid I spent my time with the CLCGB a bit like the boys brigade.

I also have an interest in aircraft.

Times are getting harder. So far I've been fortunate to avoid the worst and would like to help some of the next generation coming through to experience some of the activities that I did as a kid.

So would I be best suited to the scouts, army cadets or air training corps? Or indeed any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As John said, take your pick I'm sure they would all be happy to look at you. I was a Youth Supervisor 90 - 96, only a few hours a week but really enjoyed it; only left through me changing ward at the hospital. I still see several of the lads and lasses when out in town, they always say hello and most have youngsters themselves. Pick an area and go for it, you'll have a great time.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
From what I've seen, military Cadets of any kind have a syllabus to follow, so bushy activities would be relegated to interest sessions on an informal basis.

Scouts is very much Leader led, so the secret is to find a Scout Group that has similar interests to you, that way you get to follow your own hobby whilst benefitting the young people too.

As John said above, any organisation would be pleased to see a willing volunteer turn up.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE