yourr doing a dick proenneke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
No, no no, what about Siberia, Belarus, maybe even Alaska? Who would care if you built a cabin there?

The list is endless....Many Government departments.....an example would be made of you......You'd be thrown in jail.

Nice fantasy though. One we all must share. :)

Last edited:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
i got both books written by/about him and no mention is made of a ''tooth setter''. for those that don't know, hand saws were originally untempered and as a result could be re sharpened. a tooth setter re aligns the teeth of the saw, so the cut ejects the sawdust and negates blockage.
oh and 8mm copper pipe :rolleyes:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
i got both books written by/about him and no mention is made of a ''tooth setter''. for those that don't know, hand saws were originally untempered and as a result could be re sharpened. a tooth setter re aligns the teeth of the saw, so the cut ejects the sawdust and negates blockage.
oh and 8mm copper pipe :rolleyes:

He was a naval carpenter, so would be pretty hard to imagine he couldn't maintain his saw.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think I would take a chainsaw but at the same time it's pretty hard to cut your leg off with a regular cross cut saw.

Im not overly experienced with a chain saw so if it did ever happen I'd have to get the right training.

A decent mattress would make a real difference. And a sat phone etc would go down well.

im not entirely sure I could live without access to a forge of some kind, hassle though it would be, it would be nice to be able to make things while I was there. It's something I enjoy too much to give up.

All the best
Andy

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I'd keep it very limited.

Tool wise I'd stick with quality tools and blades, I'm a big lover of O1 so probably similar to what he had. I also take 240, 800, 1200 and 6000 Japanese water stones to get a superb edge on everything. I think I'd keep a good Leatherman on me as well as they are so useful.

Modern fabrics for clothing and tarp/ poncho would be a must for me, light and more effective and warmer though it is hard to beat a good old wool blanket (I love a good bit of canvas and leather, no kydex for me).

I'd also take my homemade catapult with me with modern rubber (though no idea what it was like back then) for hunting small game.

The main addition for me would be I'd have some kind of solar charger and good battery to charge up with it for a few modern gadgets, and a good DSLR camera with modern lenses to take photos, 70-300 would be a must, I'd also like a simple laptop with Lightroom and the internet (most likely routed off a mobile phone so I could also use some useful apps available and read books on it at night too) to post photos and get info or post info on how to do stuff, I'd probably do a blog aswell. I'd bet if someone on here did do it the thread would be massive.

I think that would be about it, as the whole point is getting away from it all.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'd also take my homemade catapult with me with modern rubber (though no idea what it was like back then) for hunting small game.

Rollocks to that. It would be a 12 gauge shotty or nothing for me. Ideally paired with a decent rifle too.

Andy

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I wouldn't as I'd have no need to take a load of big game.

Plus I could make a catapult that could fire 50cal balls that if hit right could take down a dear, similar to the guys at Equip 2 Endure make. Tubing isn't half powerful and lasts a long time. Plus it dosent matter if you soak it. Oil the wood and that's about it.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I wouldn't as I'd have no need to take a load of big game.

Plus I could make a catapult that could fire 50cal balls that if hit right could take down a dear, similar to the guys at Equip 2 Endure make. Tubing isn't half powerful and lasts a long time. Plus it dosent matter if you soak it. Oil the wood and that's about it.

I wouldn't fancy Dicks chances seeing off that bear encounter he wrote about with a catapult.

Binxie

Tenderfoot
If I was going to I'd take modern material clothes, thermals and a decent mountaineering grade sleeping bag. Perhaps solar generators so I could charge up music players etc and a GPS modem with a laptop. Don't think I could live without the internet now!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
If I was going to I'd take modern material clothes, thermals and a decent mountaineering grade sleeping bag. Perhaps solar generators so I could charge up music players etc and a GPS modem with a laptop. Don't think I could live without the internet now!

I think the Internet is a nice thing to have. But at the same time. You get bored easily and quickly!

At the minute I'm having a very quiet time on the rigs. With very little to do and Internet access for 12 hours a day. I start my shift at 06:00, so there's usually about 4 hours before any real activity happens on the various forums I'm on.
I've usually checked any messages, emails and Facebook by about 06:15.

That leaves a lot of time to kill waiting for the relatively slow stream of posts through the day.

Unless you are researching something in particular the Internet can be pretty boring. It's great for keeping in touch with people. But given the option I think I'd rather have the company of a person rather than the Internet.

cheers

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
A chainsaw. Could feel my arm cramping just watching him sawing through all that wood!

Could not agree more! It was a bit painful to watch, but however now I feel terribly shamed when I start whining about some hand sawing and just push on until it's done...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE