yourr doing a dick proenneke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
and i want to know what kit you would take that wasn't available to him but that you have at your disposal thanks to twentieth century technology

You might need to expand on what you mean. He was around for most of the Twentieth Century and the first bit of the Twenty-first.

udamiano

On a new journey
Up to date modern super fabrics!

And that's it really.
Depending on where I am though I do take a mobile, GPS, and sat beacon. For emergencies only. They tend to get vacuum packed with the batteries out to avoid accidental switch on. But normally stay in the rucksack. But does this apply to expeditions?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I don't think i would change anything. I think he had everything he needed to be happy with what he did. :)

I would want to build the cabin with hand tools, i would be happy wearing natural materials, with an aluminium canoe.

One can dream eh? :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
yes but when he started he had no electrikery or gagdets like sat phone or stuff like that

I thought he did what he did to get away from what he thought as modern trappings and frippery ~ living within nature and only taking advantage of consumerism when he couldn't make or grow something. Would you still be pulling a Dick if you went all modern Hi-tech Dick?

I think soft toilet paper would be my thing :approve: .

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
I thought he did what he did to get away from what he thought as modern trappings and frippery ~ living within nature and only taking advantage of consumerism when he couldn't make or grow something. Would you still be pulling a Dick if you went all modern Hi-tech Dick?

I think soft toilet paper would be my thing :approve: .

phil i would never have thought of that and maybe your right

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
phil i would never have thought of that and maybe your right

No worries, I wondered whether you were actually asking 'Do we go for the destination or for the journey?'

I've not read too much of what he did. Did he end up with a diesel genny or some-such? How much and what level of tech did he end up adopting?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I've not read too much of what he did. Did he end up with a diesel genny or some-such? How much and what level of tech did he end up adopting?

Think the most high tech thing he had was a video camera, a 16mm bolex, which he recorded himself and the wildlife out and about.

And that was clockwork powered (wind up) rather than electrical/battery.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was there ever a book written by him or a biography by someone else, thats available.
[h=1][/h]One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey by Sam Keith, from Dick's diaries and notes.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
From what I've read, he was a very tough man - hard as nails - (well, you'd have to be, wouldn't you?) - but that only applied to his physicality. When people visited him they found him amiable and very chatty and not at all the morose loner type. From the shots of the cabin I've seen , he didn't have a big library - if I were to try the same thing (big intake of breath there), I'd go for a kindle and 5000 books on it, plus some way to recharge it (solar??). I couldn't get through an Alaskan winter without devouring books by the truckload.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
none mate he didn't have a gen or nowt he lived with what he went in with just got mail and groceries shipped in from then on and when i say groceries i mean food stuff or metal gas cans to make shizel out of

Ah, right ~ a frontier / pioneer / mountain man type existence. In relation to making bits and bobs in situ, jou might like to look out a book titled 'Art-Metal Work and Tin-Can Projects' by Joseph J. Lukowitz (1936), quite interesting and very useful :D .

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
From what I've read, he was a very tough man - hard as nails - (well, you'd have to be, wouldn't you?) - but that only applied to his physicality. When people visited him they found him amiable and very chatty and not at all the morose loner type. From the shots of the cabin I've seen , he didn't have a big library - if I were to try the same thing (big intake of breath there), I'd go for a kindle and 5000 books on it, plus some way to recharge it (solar??). I couldn't get through an Alaskan winter without devouring books by the truckload.

I'd want more books and or a kindle.

He seemed to have 'gas cans' so I wonder if he used a Coleman stove and lantern; that would make sense considering how popular they were then, I'd certainly want both to be honest.

There is one clip in the film where he is planting spuds or something and he had biceps like Popeye from all the sawing.

I think he got the balance right, he used good clothing that was available to him at the time, had supplies flown in so no real pretence of 'living off the land', he had visitors, went to see family himself I believe; he was by no means a hermit.

I'd need a radio, no way I could do without the BBC World Service :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It would be impossible now wouldnt it?
I dont think there is anywhere in the world where you could just turn up, build your own cabin and live there for 50 years.
THEY wouldnt allow you to live, outside of THEIR crooked system.....:(

Bring back blank spaces on the map!

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It would be impossible now wouldnt it?
I dont think there is anywhere in the world where you could just turn up, build your own cabin and live there for 50 years.
THEY wouldnt allow you to live, outside of THEIR crooked system.....:(

Bring back blank spaces on the map!

No, no no, what about Siberia, Belarus, maybe even Alaska? Who would care if you built a cabin there?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE