What course are you doing/thinking of doing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was just wondering what courses people re signed up for this year, or plan to do this year. I met a guy the other day who had one planned every week for a month and I know someone else doing a basics course.
So, have you got anything lined up? if you have tell us about it and maybe why you picked that one...

Reactions: wookii

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Got fortunate enough to get onto a free "Mock Student Day" with Paul Kirtley's Frontier Bushcraft a week or so back. It's officially a "training day" for his tutors and to make it as realistic as possible they wanted proper students. They did a variation of their 1 day survival course, I got a selfie with the legend Paul himself and also managed to confuse the instructors with my variation of the 1st knot when tieing a ridgeline.

Reactions: wookii and nigelp

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
First aid refresher- its been a while since I did mine last.

radio course before the year end

Would like to finish my nvq welding and hopefully get an overland trailer built (I know I don't need it for that, but its just on my list to finish off currently at level 2)

Sewing or what is needed to make my own canopies and cover.

Not enough time and too many dreams it seems

Reactions: TeeDee and wookii

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Some cool stuff there, I had a few of my napping efforts out the other day, I need to do some more!
Bee keeping, love it, I've some friends and nephew that are keen bee keepers, I have to say I enjoy the produce.
Paul K, I've not met him yet although exchanged the odd message, I bet it was fun, good stuff!
Wilderness Therapy, sounds just what the doctor should be ordering! Looking forward to hearing more about this.
First Aid, yep, I need a refresher as well! Ha ha, who doesn't need a overland trailer!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Carving On The Edge Festival
September 8 - 13, 2022
Held this year on Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation traditional territory on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

This is meant to enhance the growth of both traditional and contemporary coastal carving arts. The various programs (TBA) will be led by Master Carvers. Last year, this was very much First Nations values and I expect this year to be much the same.

Entry to everything is free. It's meant for participants to follow video coverage of tools, materials and subjects. To blow the dust off your thinking or to introduce to the First Nations art and carving.
Last year's programs are in YouTube, most everything I think, except the Zoom session that were a lot of fun to be able to connect, hundreds of miles apart. Just to satisfy your curiosity, watch the 5-part series with Robinson Cook to really make some shavings with the traditional tools.

Reactions: nigelp

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No, unfortunately, I can't walk well enough to leave my house without assistance. No more after-market replacement parts, I'm afraid. Last year, I made a donation roughly equivalent to attendance (approx 900 miles from here). I expect to do the same again.

Last year, I watched all the videos that must have taken ages to put together. Robinson Cook made 5 wood carving videos about tools and materials. I still watch them, over and over again. Then came the Zoom sessions, some Q&A, regarding tools and techniques. We all had a couple of carvings for show-and-tell. Those conversations were a big help.

The schedule of programs hasn't been released yet. Maybe August. Time wise, we do a stupid time zone change in the autumn, exactly when, I can never remember. Suffices to say that you guys in the UK are +7 or +8. +7 at the moment.

Even if you have no other plans to focus your carvings beyond spoons and forks and camp wood fixtures, the tools of the Pacific Northwest are quite different. Plus, this stuff is free to satisfy your curiosity.

Talented kids apprentice with a grandfather or an uncle for a start. Maybe later with an equally talented carver such as Freda Diesen was. Me? Maybe 15 years now and I'm getting happy with the crooked knife choices and results.

There's an evolution that begins with scrounging good steel and making your own blades & handles. When you wake up and realize that you don't want to be a blade smith, you begin to buy good blades. An elbow adze and a D adze are tedious things to put together, even with proper blades (half an axe head is OK). The pinnacle of my folly led to buying completed knives from competent First Nations blade smiths!

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
In looking to start keeping honey bees I've nearly finished this YT beginners course. His tongue is a bit distracting but it's free to listen to. Spending some time on a beekeeping forum, nearly all there seem very against starting a hive but not maintaining it. They will grow then swarm possibly towards your neighbours, most suggesting you would be very irresponsible to do that. But, some have written books about pretty much doing that, not interfering with them apart from end of season honey collection.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In looking to start keeping honey bees I've nearly finished this YT beginners course. His tongue is a bit distracting but it's free to listen to. Spending some time on a beekeeping forum, nearly all there seem very against starting a hive but not maintaining it. They will grow then swarm possibly towards your neighbours, most suggesting you would be very irresponsible to do that. But, some have written books about pretty much doing that, not interfering with them apart from end of season honey collection.

If you talk to 20 different beekeepers you'll get 21 different ways of doing things.

I kept bees for a while - two hives, lost both broods in early spring twice despite following all the guidelines, so gave up - turned out to be quite an expensive experiment. Mind, we are around 280m up and relatively unsheltered.

I cleaned and stacked the hives and gave them to a bee-keeping friend. By the time he picked them up a swarm had moved into one :)

Reactions: grizzlyj

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion

I’m really glad to see that you are learning about how to keep bees before getting them! That’s great and really the best way for you (and your bees!) to enjoy your new endeavour. It’s hard enough to know what to do sometimes, but if you have no clue of what’s going on or what your bees are up to, it can be very frustrating and things tend to go badly.

My view is that if you take on animals, you also take on the responsibility of looking after them. If you want to keep bees, being responsible and learning about how to do that in a way that’s good for you, the bees and your neighbours seems the least that could be expected.

You should inspect your hives as needed to manage them effectively and you are required (most places) to look for disease at regular intervals. That doesn’t mean you need to interfer with the bees when there’s no need. (=Always have an aim with what you’re doing and why.) If you want to go down the route of a more hands-off or ”natural” approach, I urge you to learn how to do it the conventional way first, so that you can read your bees, the clues they give you and you know what to expect, before you try running hives with fewer inspections and handling or hives that doesn’t allow for proper inspections. You’re learning a new skill and as with any new skill, in the beginning more support and aids will be really valuable and probably even necessary, but as you become more proficient you’ll be able to pare it down to the bare essentials.

It’s interesting how many people go for some of the log-like hives that are targeting the ”I just want to give bees a home on my property because they’re struggling to find natural hollows in trees etc, but I don’t want to interfer with them in anyway because that’s ’unnatural’” crowd, yet they still all want to collect some honey from said bees. The bees store honey to survive the winter and bad-weather spells, but if you do nothing to manage your bees and you don’t want to learn anything about beekeeping, how will you know if they have an excess for you to take?

As pointed out above, getting started with beekeeping is surprisingly expensive, so my suggestion is to find your local beekeepers’ association and visit their apiary, or any experience local beekeeper that will let you help them lift and carry in exchange for learning how to handle bees. Better to find out if it’s for you and what you actually need before you invest a lot of time and money.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Apologies for keeping this a little off-topic for a moment but SaraR makes a very valuable point - whether it's bees or chickens or some other 'animal' I do not believe a YT course is enough before diving in.

Certainly with the bees, apart from all the help and support you'll get, you stand a good chance of saving money by joining your local Bee Keepers Association - you may even get a free brood if a member has a swarm at the right time. They also run their own and free training courses - more than worth the membership fee.

Also, remember, you'll have a visit from the local Inspector :)

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
The nearest bee keeping course to me is a short day, half outside. I thought that YT course I linked to was pretty good in comparison.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE