What course are you doing/thinking of doing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The nearest bee keeping course to me is a short day, half outside. I thought that YT course I linked to was pretty good in comparison.
Perhaps better to take this to a separate thread, but anyway:
I haven’t had a chance to check them out yet (but I definitely will, so thanks for linking to them!), but in general learning the theory is a great start (which you’ll probably need to revisit several times) but the practical side of beekeeping is really important to learn too and sadly something that is often lacking in many beginners’ courses. Having someone go through how to do a hive inspection with you, point out what you’re looking at/for and how to handle the bees will be really useful before you get your own bees.

But beyond that, I meant more that checking what it’s like to stand over an open hive with bees flying around and what your gut reaction is to that is quite good to find out before you commit to having your own hive. First time I opened a hive I suddenly relaxed and thought it was the most amazing thing, others go ”nope, not for me!” and most people are somewhere inbetween. By visiting an apiary and talking to a more experienced beekeeper, you also have a chance at figuring out what equipment you actually need, how to use it and what to buy.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I linked to a YT series of someone with good knowledge and experience sharing that to beginners in a structured way, with more time given to the theory than a one day on site beginners course.
Watch, be informed.
I didn't say watch and you're ready to keep bees.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE