Your thoughts on the Dartmoor survival knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 27, 2007
essex
I asked this over at BB the other day so thought I would ask you guys too.

I know a fair few people who own and use this knife for bushcraft. But let’s be honest, it’s no bushcraft knife, simply a glorified Rambo style knife with a full tang.

I was just wondering what the opinions are of those who collect knives? Do you like this knife for purely cosmetic reasons? Or is it a bit of a joke in the collectors world too? I used to collect knives but they were all for use at some point or another.

I do actually have several of the above knife (ex stock) as I have a feeling it will be worth several quid in a few years time, it’s already trading for more than its value.

Kris (He's broken the 100 posts mark, Oh yes!)

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I don't think the knife has any use in bushcraft terms. Collectors may like it, but i really don't. I like knives becaue I can use them, not because I can look at them. That's just a bonus. I can use a mora happily, but a nice scandi or custom made knife is a lot nicer to look at.

Just my opinion

Michiel

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I allways wanted one some years ago,just never had the money.Just out of interest how much do they go for now???

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Honestly I think there is more snobbery about knives than there is about anything else. I have a knife or 50 from classic "Bushcrafters" to my own designs like the PFK. Monstorous beasts like the Becker Brute to tiny "Shinken Skinners". Guess what? They all cut, slice and chop. Some are better at some tasks and some at others. Woodloresque the perfect shape? Not for skinning it isn't! Its lso too small to be a bread knife, or an efficient slicer of a large hangi roast. Its too short and light to chop stakes and rubbish at cutting thatch. Its a nice design for a general use belt knife (although too thick in my view) but its not a silver bullet to all my cutting needs.

The dartmoor is a big chunky knife - it wouldn't be my first choice as a big knife but that doesn't mean that all big knives are bad - an American Bowie with a 6" blade makes a pretty handy knife outdoors - A big Falkniven makes a good chopping knife too.

I love using different tools and knives but the more I use, the more I realsie that there is no need for us all to have the same stuff - I like to see Snufkins Seaxes, JoJos Nessmuks, Stus hollow grinds etc. They are all great knives and a bit more personal than yet another Woodie clone. So, if the Dartmoor does it for you, use it and enjoy it is my view.

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think with continued use you can become proficient in its' use. I used an MOD Survival Knife for a number of years and could do quite a few things with it. It isn't my knife of choice these days, it is very thick and the spine to edge is so huge that carving can be difficult other than carving flats. It is still a capable knife though.

The Dartmoor and Wilkie knives are very similar in that they are big chunky knives, but they were designed for somebody needing to chop large timber for shelter making, fires and maybe building a raft to escape an island. That isn't to say you can't bushcraft with them, but you may be hard pressed to skin small animals if the opportunity presented itself.

Now elephants, then you'd be laughing!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Honestly I think there is more snobbery about knives than there is about anything else. I have a knife or 50 from classic "Bushcrafters" to my own designs like the PFK. Monstorous beasts like the Becker Brute to tiny "Shinken Skinners". Guess what? They all cut, slice and chop. Some are better at some tasks and some at others. Woodloresque the perfect shape? Not for skinning it isn't! Its lso too small to be a bread knife, or an efficient slicer of a large hangi roast. Its too short and light to chop stakes and rubbish at cutting thatch. Its a nice design for a general use belt knife (although too thick in my view) but its not a silver bullet to all my cutting needs.

The dartmoor is a big chunky knife - it wouldn't be my first choice as a big knife but that doesn't mean that all big knives are bad - an American Bowie with a 6" blade makes a pretty handy knife outdoors - A big Falkniven makes a good chopping knife too.

I love using different tools and knives but the more I use, the more I realsie that there is no need for us all to have the same stuff - I like to see Snufkins Seaxes, JoJos Nessmuks, Stus hollow grinds etc. They are all great knives and a bit more personal than yet another Woodie clone. So, if the Dartmoor does it for you, use it and enjoy it is my view.

Red

yeah, what that bloke said!

i have a dartmoor, and i actually like using it alot. it is a completely different tool to your average woodlore clone or your favourite spoon whittling scandi knife. i don't use it in public much as i get fed up with having to explain this obvious difference to those "knifebores" who think everyone should only ever be allowed to use a small forest axe and a puukko. i either carry a whittling/carving knife as well as the dartmoor, or settle for the fact that typically, i also have a couple folding knives with me.

and yes, the saw really works if you know how.

the other advantage is that being very heavy and stainless it also makes a great canoe anchor :D

cheers, and.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, the buscrafter's life would be a lot more dreary if there was only just the one knife :confused: :( . What would we be talking and arguing about :confused: No blades forums :eek: , no edged tools threads :eek: , oh, God, what a yawn that would be :puppy_dog, that would be as bad as only one colour! :D Nah, we NEED diversity, even carpy knives we can slate!! good for the morale, I say:D :D and for business too ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No - we should all use a Woodie clone! That way people will - a/ know we are bushcrafters - b/ all work from a common experience base and turn out wooden spoons that can be graded for competence c/ argue which clone is better/pay over the odds for a signed RM original....

Oh boy - I love stirring things.....:D

Actually I think diversity of experience is the great educator.
I have tried lots of knives and am still trying more, purely to see what is what...
Hated the issue survival knife though as it did nothing well - IMHO anyway....:D ;)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Trouble maker, Mr Fenna :slap: !! Are you stirring it with a big wooden spoon caved with a bushie clone?

As you say, diversity of experience is good, at least you get first hand experience of different knives, then you can debate to your heart's content and criticize knowledgeably instead of being dogmatic. ( darn, I hope I haven't been dogmatic anywhere or I'll soon pay for it ;) )

Anyway, I don't care: my knife is better than yours :nana: :nana:

Not had any experience with the Dartmoor knife but did hear about several of them parting company with the handles at inappropriate times. I think WS were doing something about this with a recall issued.

Personally(Quick, run, he's got his soapbox out) I've used a few knives, ranging from a drop point sheath knife my father bought for me before I was a teenager, right through to a Brusletto Nansen which I'm using now, Some lessons learnt are that a Commando dagger isn't a good survival knife, a K-Bar copy got a lot of use, even when the sheath fell apart from so much use(still got it somewhere, the knife, not the sheath) tanto's are strong, but not very practical.

For years I used a WS aircrew survival knife type D, with a small folder as a small companion blade to it, and managed quite well with it. I found it to be well suited to big tasks, but still a nice shape for some smaller tasks, with the small folder for the fine work.

I decided to treat myself to a smaller knife than the type D and bought the Nansen, and I've fallen in love with it. It cuts well, seems to hold an edge quite well, and is nice to look at to boot.

Having said that I am planning to go to Norway soon and buy a knife out there as a souveneir(?) of the trip.

I do think that bushy knives are a personal thing, what works for one chap won't work for another fella. I once saw a guy with a £200 Chris Reeve knife which came out of it's scabbard about 5 times in 4 days(he used it twice on the last day), whereas my Mora was used for all sorts of task during that time.

Time to put the soapbox away.............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE