your numbers have been logged

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
ive been out in the woods for 4 days and my mate has just told me that there is a new law just come in that basicly means all the numbers you have phoned for the last 2 years have been logged and that information is now being made available to 650 companys/authoritys

1. is this true ?
2. omg am i the only one who kind finds that creepy ?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yup true:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/27/data_retention_law_passed/

Not sure about the companies you say now have access, though with the number of "authorities" out there it is quite believeable.

I don't find it nearly as creepy as many of the other laws that have been brought in. I have always assumed that there will be a record of any call that I make and I had not given much thought to how long that record would be held.

Recently there was a news story about how many organisations have been given the right to enter your property without a warrant, however, when it came down to it, most of them weren't going to have any effect on the average home owner, so the reported numbers were a little misleading.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
I wouldnt worry too much, most telcos held records for longer than that anyway for operational reasons, the records can only be requested under the RIPA Act, if youve done nothing wrong there is nothing to worry about, just think those 21/7 tube bombers or Ian Huntly may be still at large if it wasnt for phone records being kept

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Or do what every criminal does and buy a new pay as you go mobile every other week!
Were all being watched, logged and spyed on almost every min of the day, privacy is for the government and the government alone, i'm really starting to hate this country.
The war against terrorism has been used as an excuse to clamp down on the general public's right to freedom and anonymity, it sucks :soapbox:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
of those 650 most are the council (410 in Englad and Wales then add NI and Scotland) - district & county. They use them for dealing with illegal activity like fly tipping. All they get is date, time and locatino info nothing else

It really isn't as many as it first seems

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Or do what every criminal does and buy a new pay as you go mobile every other week!
Were all being watched, logged and spyed on almost every min of the day, privacy is for the government and the government alone, i'm really starting to hate this country.
The war against terrorism has been used as an excuse to clamp down on the general public's right to freedom and anonymity, it sucks :soapbox:

Born?
Went to school?
Got an NI number?
Paid by BACS?
Use a credit card?
Use a debit card?
Got a bank account?
Pay by switch?
Fill up your car at a petrol station owned by a supermarket?
Got a PC?
Use the internet?
Ever used google?
Bang goes your anonymity..

the RIPA act along with the DPA and the HRA is there to protect you, google on the other hand sells all your information, to all and sundry

The one to worry about is ATCS (Anti-Terrorism Crime and Security Act), get on the wrong side of that and you are deep in the sticky brown smelly stuff

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
omg i never gave it too much thought.terorism seems to be the war without end.
i remember in the 90s loads of people demonstrating over the criminal justice bill because of its infringement on personel rights .
it seems new laws come into effect a lot these days and it is kinda hit and miss whether you even hear about it and secondly some of these laws seem to be much worse than the cjb.
and there seems to be no or very little challenge against them .

still on a brighter note at least foot and mouth seems to be contained i was getting worried the coutryside was going to be shut down again .

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its nothing to do with non existent terrorists.

Its a lot to do with the flying saucer people

I kid you not

ill elabourate when Im more awake...that is if you want me to.

(I met one man who believed what he had been told by the MOD, and wouldnt be shook from it, you may feel the same)

yep i think i was told over 3000 new offences have come on the books since labour took over

on face book etc its used by a lot of employers etc to check on job seekers etc theres loads of info we cast about the net we wouldnt talk about in the pub

even Amason wish lists etc which are public

Photos showing you... nice but also your flash TV in the background maybe your security sensors (or not)

oh and im going on holiday in a weeks time etc

all little bits but if you add up all the info you have put on the net since you began its a lot and its probably not difficult to put it together

Forum help this by having a box to fill in several ie AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, Home page , Blog etc
simple programming and can cross ref this and search out other similer sites and get info
one artical the guy wrote a simple demo and it took Amason , face book etc and plotted locations on a map and narrowed down addresses by name etc of people with nice shiny stuff

not just the Gov whos watching its Buiseness and criminals etc ( guess the Gov is the combination of the other 2 :lmao: )

BTW teh police are probably the only guys left who do need a warrant to enter your home :cop: :deal:

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE