Grass sandals......9,000 years old :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a report on the BBC this morning about the finds from a Spanish cave.
The dates of the artefacts have been reassessed and it's now believed that the grass sandals are c9,000 years old.

The coiled grass is just as we still do it now. I make baskets and mats like this.
You don't need to chop down trees to gather practical and useful material :)

1695975847373.png

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
So Espadrilles have some history, that actually might be semi useful skill to have, one never knows when shoes are lost ...

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Leather shoes are brilliant, but leather takes a lot of work to make well. Grass grows pretty much everywhere in one form or another. Or grass like leafy things, anyway.

Grass work can be done even by the very elderly, the young, those who are just sitting at peace blethering. It can be pick up and put down sort of stuff, like that basket I showed being made from the iris leaves a while ago.
It's good practice for folks who don't work outside every day, it's clean stuff about the house, it's safe near children and pets, etc., Costs nothing but ten minutes time to collect.

I sometimes wonder why more folks don't have a go at it.

M

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I sometimes wonder why more folks don't have a go at it.
Have you tried to make something from grass rope? I haven't, though I know that Sami used to have hay instead of socks.

Looks like one of the grasses used in making shoe soles grows here too, I may have to get some.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you tried to make something from grass rope? I haven't, though I know that Sami used to have hay instead of socks.

Looks like one of the grasses used in making shoe soles grows here too, I may have to get some.

I've made a few things, from sandals to baskets to bedroll/sitting mats.

If you make the grass rope really thick then it coils and stitches up very quickly.
If you plait it then it makes a long thick ribbon of a rope that coils really well to make the soles of espadrills.

I think there's only a thread on one of the baskets I made a while ago though.
I'll find a link.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This basket is made from the grass like slender leaves from a small iris. It's just the same as using any other long leaf. Grass is usually bundled and you feed the bundle into your stitching coil though.
In this one I made the rope first and then stitched that. Plaiting it goes the same way.
If you're doing thigh or spindle rolling to make a two ply cord then you really need to take off the leaves from the grass stems first, or use a longer fibre, like nettle, ramie, hemp, flax, etc.,
I know that in S. America they just gather and use the grass as is, but it's a very fine grass while ours is inclined to be on silica rich stiff stems.

For a heavy grass rope, like those used in agriculture in the past then just a pile of grass was used and a hook through a tube was used to turn the grass into rope....there was a thread recently on making one of those. Those ropes were used to tether down haystacks and the like, but they make really good big coiled pot type storage baskets too.

This is the thread on the rope basket I made....

and this is the thread on the grass rope making hook, which is called a Thrawcock, and was used to make heather rope too.

and this is the thread I posted last year about a Chinese lady making grass rope to then make into a kennel for her puppies :)

M

• Love
Reactions: TLM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE