Your Favourite Bushcraft Word

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
One word that is evocative of something special to you to do with bushcraft and outdoors.

Firesteel and knife are taken, s0rry.

The word I heard recently is 'madrugada' - a lovely sounding word which is the Spanish for the 'blue hour' before dawn. I originally heard it as a band name for a great Norwegian group and only learned what it meant this week - maybe they're bushcrafters too...

What word does it for you?

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Yeah that is a good sounding word.
It goes for waking yourself up with a splash of stream water, wood you know will boil your dinner, make cordage, log-cabins all sorts - about as 'bushcraft' as you get!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
"Epiglotis", a great sounding word but not very/at all bushcrafty

back on topic though, how about "Forage" or "Ember"

Rich

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
It has to be Fettle! Its a great word still used here "Up North"
Dictionary definition " to line or repair: to repair or arrange a thing oneself: to repair or mend something: a state of health, spirits"
I love to Fettle, be it a piece of wood into an axe helve or a bit of scrap leather into a sheath.
any bad or poor situation can be resolved if you are in fine fettle.
;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bimble is great - I also like "fossik".

Used in a conversation

"I'm going to fossik in those hedgerows for pignuts"

:D

Red

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
'Fossik' has a real quality to it. I'm quite fond of 'ember' - sort of suggests that warm glow that you only ever get outdoors as well as those fiery connections.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Firs.
Everytime i hear it spoken i think of Twin Peaks and Agent Coopers face when he says it into his dictaphone. Was a rather mystical experience watching those 2 seasons.:werd:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Word: bivvy
Phrase: wild places
Sound: tweeting things, rain on leaves, augers grinding through ice & water swooshing up
Smell: heated resin, fire-cooked food
Sight: forests in moonlight, autumnal colours
Feeling: forests in moonlight, unexpectedly getting a good night's sleep out doors!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE