Expedition Canoeing Skills Review (Frontier Bushcraft)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hudson

Jun 30, 2017
London
As with the Forest Hunter Course, I was only able to join this course due to some last minute cancellations and the help of Amanda at Frontier Bushcraft who processed my booking at an ungodly hour of the night, so a special thanks to her.

I recently completed the Expedition Canoeing Skills course with Paul Kirtley (Frontier Bushcraft) and Ray Goodwin (Ray Goodwin Coaching) and had an excellent week of fun and at times, quite challenging learning, all while camping and canoeing around the beautiful Lake Windermere.

This course is run over five days in a private beach and woodland in The Lake District and is designed to provide you with solid foundation in Canoeing skills as well as the ability to take part in multi-day canoe expeditions. The course covered skills such as safely moving and carrying canoes, various knots, paddle techniques (there are more than you think) as well as rescue and self-rescue techniques should you end up in the water. As this course was also designed to prepare you for multi day canoe trips and expeditions there were numerous camp craft related skills ranging from the mundane i.e. digging and managing a latrine to using improvised pulleys to creat larger communal tarps as well as to hoist food barrels out of the reach of hungry bears.

As I have come to expect from Frontier Bushcraft courses, there was a great deal of ‘face-time’ with the instructors who not only spent the days with us, but also shared the same camp site as well as cooked and are with us, so there was ample opportunity for the group to ask questions and benefit from the significant experience of both Paul, Ray and the other course participants.

The course was fully catered by Paul Kirtley who laid on three meals a day including tasty and very warming dinners each evening.

As well as there being a lot of time being directly taught by the instructors, the course still left me with ample opportunities to practice and become comfortable with my newly acquired skills.

As well as the instructors, a large thanks has to go to the fantastic group of students with whom I spent the week. To a man, the group were hard working, good humoured and supportive of each other during what at times could be a rainy and quite cold week in the Lakes.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’d really like to do that myself, bit too costly for me. That’s not to say I’d class that as expensive mind.

Hudson

Jun 30, 2017
London
That looks the very thing for me... I presume they are bringing out not courses for 2021?
Yes, a few of us spoke to PK about courses and (from memory) he is running extra dates this year due to last years Lockdown.

Frontier’s courses always seem to book up fast, and I can say from experience that it’s well worth signing up to their cancellation lists.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Yes, a few of us spoke to PK about courses and (from memory) he is running extra dates this year due to last years Lockdown.

Frontier’s courses always seem to book up fast, and I can say from experience that it’s well worth signing up to their cancellation lists.
Thanks for that, I've dropped them an email and await a reply.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE