Yew stave for bowmaking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2013
East Anglia
I've just been perusing the bowmaking threads on this forum, and I think I've hit the jackpot.

My neighbour has a yew tree in her garden, and several branches are overhanging my garden. On of them of them is basically a straight and uniform stave with a slight bow which I guess would be ideal for making a longbow. The stave would be approx 7 foot long, 10 inch diameter at one end reducing to 5 inch diameter at the other.

For the sake of good neighbourly relations I'll ask her permission before cutting it, but that won't be a problem. She's a lovely old lady, and the clincher is that because it overhangs my property, I'm legally entitled to cut it. I believe technically I have to offer it to her, though I can't see why she would

I imagine it would best cut in winter, are there any 'time of year' considerations specific to cutting yew?

Last edited by a moderator:

safari435

Jun 27, 2013
mexico
Well, I always found the best time to cut one, is when you have time. Serious, in the winter might be best, as there is less sap in the tree. Normally then you should let it dry for 6 month or so... however, lately I cut and split them regardless of the time of year, then roughly shape them, mount them to a heavy seasoned straight board and let them dry for a month in an airy place. Speeds up the building of the bow and seems as good as anything.....

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
If its 10inches diameter at one end and 5 the other I would put it through the bandsaw and get two staves out of it for long bows. One will be a whitey but it will still shoot well enough. You will have no chance spitting it along the length for two staves. The grain will twist.

You might have to make one inside out as well but it's still two long bow staves for free.

I would make carve it green. Much easier to work and will be fine.

All the bows I make are from greenwood in excess of 100+. It will season pretty fast once you have increased the surface area. Don't have a set weight in mind just make a shooting bow. If it comes out as a 50lb long bow great. If its 30lb still great. It will get you round a NFAS shoot.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cut it as soon as you get chance and seal the ends with PVA glue. Then post some pictures ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE