Another what to use the wood for question!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've had two big leylandii, a Holly trunk and lower branches of ba copper beech cut down. It's cut down into rounds with a few larger diameter branches cut into a few foot lengths. Then a few say 1 to 2 inch diameter branches too.

Obvious choice is wood burner but we don't have one and no plans to. Are there any n other uses for this wood? I think Holly burns OK and beech. The tree surgeon said he often gets left with the wood nobody else wants for his wood burner. He said the leylandii does burn OK too. However no burner I'm not sure what to use it for? Possibly use the larger rounds for seating if we make a shelter for our son and friends. Or a firepit. If we make a permanent firepit then the other smaller bits are fuel I guess. Add in a Hazel fireshield - taken from another thread on coppice Hazel.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Beech is hard to carve but ultimately will make very hard wearing cutlery. Spoons, spatulas and the like. It will burn really well but it needs a long seasoning time.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
'We' (tree surgeon) just cut down 7 Leylandi trees for us. The rounds are full of sticky sap and will take a long time to dry out. We will ultimately burn them on an open fire or the wood burning stove down at our cabin. We've left some rounds long to chainsaw some furniture out of. The longer more useful branches will be cleaned up to use for rustic building. The smaller stuff will go through our chipper for using around the croft.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Leylandii is pretty rot resistant. I have used green logs direct on soil for retaining the front edge of garden steps cut in a slope. They lasted at least as well as tanalised timber, I think they did better. Maybe not as durable as sweet chestnut but not to be sneered at. They are related to cypress which in the US is recognised as durable for shingles and siding even without treatment.

holly tends to check badly when seasoned, but has uniquely white, even textured wood that is good for decorative work.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think that's due to acidity. Conifer needles are acidic and it's why conifer undergrowth isn't that successful. It's to do with out competing other plants. I think roots are acidic and contribute to this barren earth thing conifers have around them. Its also why I think a few big rounds of leylandii might make good seats.

Perhaps cut them into discs then half rounds they might make a mini border?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE