yet another leather question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi guys,
The linen thread i use is cheap stuff from a local haberdashers. Problem is, it is not that strong (ie, when i try to tighten up stitching, it snaps). i've been looking on leprevo, and they sell 18/3 unwaxed linen thread.
Now, how strong is this and how thick? the stuff i use is about 1/2 mm 3 strand.
What do you guys use?
Cheers
Baggins

leon-1

I think that Williams (they do haberdashery supplies) can supply you with 15/4, I'll check in the morning as I have some, it's pretty sturdy.

If it doesn't have to be linen you could always get tiger thread, it's a 0.8mm braid, Brisa sell it and it ain't cheap. You could also look into synthetic sinew I have just finished stitching a pouch with some that I got from the states and it knocks the socks of the stuff that I have used before.

Normally I use 18/3, it does the job, but as Singtech mentioned it does snap every now and again especially if you are using it on heavy grade leather (5 or 6mm).

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I started using the thread from the "speedy stitcher". It's thicker and stronger than the linen thread I had from Leprevo. Also sail maker threads comes in various strength and colours. I have also tried artificial sinew, very strong but can't take abrasion very well.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Are you guys waxing the linen thread before use? Running it through a block of solid beeswax can impart a masive amount of additional strength to the thread. You drag the length quickly over the edge of the beeswax (so it cuts into the edge) and the friction melts the wax into the fibre of the thread. Then do your sewing.

Eric

leon-1

Are you guys waxing the linen thread before use? Running it through a block of solid beeswax can impart a masive amount of additional strength to the thread. You drag the length quickly over the edge of the beeswax (so it cuts into the edge) and the friction melts the wax into the fibre of the thread. Then do your sewing.

Eric

Eric I can't give my normal answer as it would be too short. "Yes." would of been it.

All of the threads that I use I wax.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That's the problem I suffered with the last lot I had, it was pants to be honest. The current lot though is a totally different story and since I have a roll of 300 yards it is just as well, especially when I split it into half (600 yards).

Wher did you get the better stuff from?

leon-1

Wher did you get the better stuff from?

E-bay, trader The Leather Guy, this is what I bought, but since I had 40 feet of hide coming in anyway it didn't make much difference to me when it came to shipping, currently it costs more to ship than it does to buy.

They do do it in smaller amounts as well, so it's worth having a look around their shop. Hope this is of use to you,

Leon.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Thats really great guys, thanks alot. Eric, i have to say i don't wax the thread first, but will do so now. In fact, it's having a go at making one of your tankards that is causing me the grief as i'm trying to get the stitching as tight as possible. I'll get there.
Many thanks again
Baggins

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Two things, Baggins you'll find a real difference waxing the thread. Secondly, if you want to try using artificial sinew and only want a small amount, or if you have a one off project and don't need much, most chemist shops sell it. It's called dental floss. (It's the same stuff).

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE