WTB: Tent 'Groundsheet' or cheap tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I'm using a cheap plasticy camo tarp from eBay at the mo on my Golite Hex 3. It's fine but it's too small and so the sides of the floor get very wet.

I need a bigger one, but I'm not sure of the measurements. Anyone know?

No web-sites seem to list them.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Actually, 10' by 8' 8" seems to be the dimensions, of the shelter at least.

So I need a groundsheet that size. Anyone?

ems

Apr 4, 2008
West Sussex
I use tyvek as my groundsheet in my hex. I cut my original hex floor in half so I only used the ground sheet where I was sleeping. but the tyvek is lighter!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How much weight did you save cutting up a Hex groundsheet? Would it not have been easier to just use a bivvy bag or a bit plastic sheet rather than cut up perfectly good kit.

ems

Apr 4, 2008
West Sussex
ebay :) or find someone doing a roof. The great thing I love about tyvek is you can wash it and the more you wash it the softer it gets. You can write on it .. or I even play games on mine.. Ive got a backgammon board on it, and chequers ;) You can sew it, our group have made rucksacks out of it.. all sorts of stuff! If you dont care what you look like ( when only the trees can see ya!) you can make breathable waterproof clothing out of it <Grin>.

ems

Apr 4, 2008
West Sussex
Richard: well I saved 310gms. I seam taped both halves and added 2 tiny bits of velcro to each side which added a total of 20gms, so if I did for some reason want them to lie back together they would. I rely on my pack for 1 week not including water but including food being under 12 lbs in weight so 300gms is alot of saving. My pack weighs 600gms and its a 75 litre pack. Perfectly good kit is not perfect unless its perfect for the person using it :) I tend to adapt most things I buy or just make them myself. I have three Pfaff sewing machines 2 are industrial and one just makes things pretty <Grin>, that most of my gear is made or altered with. Most fabrics you can buy end of rolls of very cheaply like the silnylon that the hex is made of ...fantastic light stuff for making extra stuff sacks with for wet clothing etc... a dry bag will cost me about 20-30 quid and usually be hitting the near kilo mark for a large one.. whereas I can make one for about &#163;3 in silnylon that weighs in at 30grms! I am a bit of a weightloss - a holic when it comes to the outdoors, <G> I make all my own food for my trips.. and use a dehydrator. But please don't think I eat boring stuff! I make bluberry muffins and even bread when I'm out on a trip. I just make up the mixes before I go and use ziplocks bags for all my food. I then know that to make a few muffins ( I can only make 4 at a time with my cookpot!) I need to use say 4 table spoons of mix. I use a silicone loaf tin which I can either make bread in or muffins, or really whatever takes your fancy. Blueberry come dehydrated.. they only take 20 mins to rehydrate.. and then I drink the water they rehydrated in.. yummy.. hmm I could go on forever.. sorry <Grin>

Emma.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Richard: well I saved 310gms. I seam taped both halves and added 2 tiny bits of velcro to each side which added a total of 20gms, so if I did for some reason want them to lie back together they would. I rely on my pack for 1 week not including water but including food being under 12 lbs in weight so 300gms is alot of saving. My pack weighs 600gms and its a 75 litre pack. Perfectly good kit is not perfect unless its perfect for the person using it :) I tend to adapt most things I buy or just make them myself. I have three Pfaff sewing machines 2 are industrial and one just makes things pretty <Grin>, that most of my gear is made or altered with. Most fabrics you can buy end of rolls of very cheaply like the silnylon that the hex is made of ...fantastic light stuff for making extra stuff sacks with for wet clothing etc... a dry bag will cost me about 20-30 quid and usually be hitting the near kilo mark for a large one.. whereas I can make one for about £3 in silnylon that weighs in at 30grms! I am a bit of a weightloss - a holic when it comes to the outdoors, <G> I make all my own food for my trips.. and use a dehydrator. But please don't think I eat boring stuff! I make bluberry muffins and even bread when I'm out on a trip. I just make up the mixes before I go and use ziplocks bags for all my food. I then know that to make a few muffins ( I can only make 4 at a time with my cookpot!) I need to use say 4 table spoons of mix. I use a silicone loaf tin which I can either make bread in or muffins, or really whatever takes your fancy. Blueberry come dehydrated.. they only take 20 mins to rehydrate.. and then I drink the water they rehydrated in.. yummy.. hmm I could go on forever.. sorry <Grin>

Emma.

With your skills I can see why you did it, but it reminds me of the tale of two people talking about parachutists, one guy says "I don't see the point of jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft" So to be honest I still don't see why you just did not just make a new ground sheet from the lighter gear and leave the Hex sheet intact, must be my age, I tend to get grumpy these days, especially after a few night shifts :(

I also dehydrate a lot of food; this is now more popular in the UK than ever, although American mates have been doing it for years, brits have been slow to catch on, its fun to do and gives great results :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE