Snugpak Ionosphere...bivvy or tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
The Snugpak Ionosphere...unboxing.
Is the Ionoshere a 1 man tent...or a bivvi?
I think of it as a glorified bivvi...................

Love the Stratosphere, but can't get on with the condensation......so in a similar vein, (light, small, discreet and hopefully effective?) and at a remarkable price from Outdoors GB (£117), I ordered one (the Ionosphere) and have just unboxed it and had an initial set up; which is always more of a faff than subsequent pitching? The Jack Wolfskin Gossamer was another consideration?

So , firstly, there's 16....yes 16 pegs, including what Snugpak refer to as 2 spares. Why? Some manufacturers have the gall not to supply even the basic need for their tents! Are they crap? Seem good standard S/pak cross shaped pegs, and yet....if you use ALL the peg out points......you need two more!! Obviously some points are designed to double up on the pegs, yet the tent/bivvi, didn't seem to set so well doing that, and I do like shelters pegged out taught and flat/smooth? But it CAN be set well.

I don't as a rule like inner set first shelters and this is the case here. Whilst it is nice (bloody excellent!) to be able to use just as a mozzy proof shelter, it can't be beyond the wit of man to design it so you have the option on set up?

Much has been said in videos about the floor space inside: I am 6'4" and 105 kgs, and it suits me fine, the inner mesh is way off my face......but whether my pack could (comfortably) come in above or below me, I very much doubt. I'll find out soon, lol!! You will need to be under 6' for that I feel. There is loads of room for the smaller paraphanalia though?

Entrance and exit is a doddle, I can even turn around inside...just....and I'm an old git!

I think this is getting closer to stealth/lightweight camping Nirvana for me....... but maybe not QUITE there yet?

We'll know better when used............................................

........which I have now done in a thunderstorm. It was utterly waterproof. Getting into a sleeping bag and liner may need a bit of practice to do so neatly :) Condensation was minimal if there at all.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Seriously for the price it does what it’s supposed to, let’s you sleep safe from the weather.
Yes you can’t change clothes or cook safely in it. it’s not for that. So a good item to have for its size, weight and price

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Nice overview. I had one for a while and enjoyed using it. I'd definitely suggest that it's best viewed as a posh hooped bivi rather than a tent because then it really starts to make sense.

Some folk might resent there being so many pegging points, but what it does is ensure that the bivi is well and truly anchored to the ground and absolutely rock solid - I really liked that feature. Added to that was the bonus of it being light, compact and well made.

I always pitched a small tarp or poncho over the entrance just to provide a nice admin space.

Back to the point about it being more of a bivi than a tent....I actually ended up selling mine simply because I preferred using my Dutch army hooped bivi. I preferred the dutchy because of its space (I can get myself and my rucksack inside), simplicity and rugged yet breathable fabric.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I see the practicality of using tarps with bivvies, have done so myself....but it seems to go against the grain if you are trying to keep as small/light/discreet as possible.......which is why I'd use the Ionosphere in the first place?

Otherwise I'd use one of my tents?

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
May I ask how you go about doing this - to what do you attach each corner of the tarp?
If you're in the woods you can use trees, if you're not in the woods then you can use sticks or trekking poles.

I see the practicality of using tarps with bivvies, have done so myself....but it seems to go against the grain if you are trying to keep as small/light/discreet as possible.......which is why I'd use the Ionosphere in the first place?

This goes back to the original question that you posed above re Bivvy or tent. I likened the Ionosphere to a bivy and think a small tarp or poncho adds a lot of value, particularly if it's wet and you want to cook and enjoy the outdoors before zipping yourself up for the night.

Ultimately, you just need to do what works for you, but there's also no reason why you can't pitch the Ionosphere and small tarp and still fulfill the criteria of being small, light and discreet.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion

A great thing about tarps is that you can move them to match your need at the time (especially if using trees for support), so higher up when sitting/cooking etc and then lower them down for when you're sleeping, which means that you're still much less visible than a(n ordinary) tent would be.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
QUOTE: o , firstly, there's 16....yes 16 pegs, including what Snugpak refer to as 2 spares. Why? Some manufacturers have the gall not to supply even the basic need for their tents! Are they crap? Seem good standard S/pak cross shaped pegs, and yet....if you use ALL the peg out points......you need two more!!

By some modifying, I have reduced the peg usage by 4, and a restyling by Snugpak of the foot end cowl could reduce it by a further 2 pegs.
In simple terms I have modified the head end guy to have 2 anchors, the bottom being the mid or central peg out point of the fly sheet, and some other peg out points of the inner tent have had small loops of bungy cord added so they can reach nearby peg out points of the flysheet, so all the peg down points are still used.
The head guyline is also threaded through the tie back loop on the flysheet, further securing the fly sheet and moving it a little further out from the inner. The loop can still be used as a tie back loop.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE