Would the real paracord make itself known...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Do you know where you can get the absolute REAL deal you speak of?

Well according to the guys that make the stuff there are differences, I do know where to get it from, but for a minimum order direct from manufacturer of the type III commercial there is a minimum order of 5000 feet and it's cheaper. They will however do batches in type III commercial in just about any colour you want as long as you ask for a minimum of 2000 feet and you cover the minimum order (you have to buy 5000 feet which you could have as two batches of 2500 feet in 2 seperate colours).

They are also a manufacturer of the military issue stuff and that has a much higher minimum order (I was told this less than 2 months ago) and it is more expensive.

I was asking about it as I was going to get some in for my business as I have got through 500 feet in 4 months.

leon-1

Having used parachutes in the military, US Army, I can tell you that troop chutes, the ones used by paratroopers do not have 550 cord. That is the Mil-Spec 5040-C Type III which is 550 lbs breaking strength. 550 is used on the ejection seat parachutes used in fighter aircraft. The chutes are 28ft diameter with 28 lines and are designed as a survival parachute, because of the smaller size and potentially higher speeds of opening, the cords are type III, 550 lbs. This has 7 inner strands.

The paratrooper chutes, T-10, MC1-B, SET10, MC1-C and newer ones I am not totally familiar with, all use Mil Spec 5040-C, typeII which is about 375 Lbs breaking strength with 4 inner strands. These troop chutes are 36ft diameter and have 36 lines. The real deal has a black fleck or tracer on the OD sheath.

The square, HALO, Military Freefall chutes use some other cord all together. Not familiar to me, I am too old :) Hope that helps the discussion. Cheers!

Hey wizard, did you come across any of the type I cord (I think you guys basically use it for tying things on, notebboks and the like).

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Hey wizard, did you come across any of the type I cord (I think you guys basically use it for tying things on, notebboks and the like).

Yes Leon, the type 1 is pretty good stuff for compass cords and small lanyards. The flyers use it to tie everything to their survival vests, pocket knives, compass, flashlight, radio, etc.
I can get that from supply captain and from Best Glide Aviation. Both are great to deal with. I know how costly it is to get things shipped to the UK though. I have bought a few things from UK vendors and fantastic service but real costly shipping.
I think that has to do with tariffs between the UK and USA. Love those taxes!

Real Mil-Spec paracord is sold at http://www.paragear.com/main.asp. Look under Raw Materials, Suspension Line

arnoldus

Sep 14, 2008
Belgium
I've got some as well, but I hardly use it. I've stopped using it for mundaine tasks which cheap string or cord is perfectly good for. And when I know there is need for safety rigging, I take climbing cord with me.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I've got some as well, but I hardly use it. I've stopped using it for mundaine tasks which cheap string or cord is perfectly good for. And when I know there is need for safety rigging, I take climbing cord with me.

Yeah I do the same, carry Paracord, but also Hemp/Jute cord for other tasks i.e were I am not worried about getting it back. Also from an enviromental point it is a natural material, which I prefer, and it will rot down at some point. Think I am going to start making my own rope, as finding a decent hemp supplier is a nightmare.

Think I am going to buy some from Fivestar in the future, want to make some key fobs etc.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
My para cord has the following printed on the reel - Viking No 8H Paracord.
It seems pretty good stuff, have no complaints - just wondering if the 'No 8H' meant anything to anyone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE