Duluth Bushcrafter Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
First, an apology: although I am not a technophobe, my current knowledge of computers and their apparently limitless capabilities is limited; so limited, in fact, that I cannot, as yet, boast of any pictures of the pack in use. I'll struggle on and see if I can't get some attached as soon as...

To the product itself. People are generally familiar with Duluth as the manufacturers of beautifully made canvas goods with a particular leaning to canoing. Mike Lummio, the founder and boss of Bushcraft Northwest, has managed to persuade Duluth to make a Bushcrafter pack. At last: a sack that is designed to carry the things that we use when we go off to play in the woods that isn't primarily for combat or ultralight backpacking or climbing.

Initial impressions of the pack, along with Mike's video of how best to pack it on YouTube, were entirely favourable. The pack is beautifully made and obviously designed to last. The two long pockets on the front are conveniently sized to take anything from a tarp to Sigg/Nalgen bottles, the axe sleeve works well with an SFA (but less well with my preferred Swedish Carving axe) and the spaces behind the front pockets are similarly useful for pretty nuch anything, be it saw, knife, bit of rolled neoprene as a seat - whatever. The main compartment is generously sized, giving you plenty of room for gear for overnight trips to stays of four or five days. if you pack it carefully. There is a leather drawstring around the top and no storm collar. The lid has a zipped pocket on the underside and, on the outside, two D-rings for attaching any further gear you might need. There is no 'back system' per se - this is, after all, a pack that spends more time looking to the past for inspiration than to the present or future.

All the closure straps are leather with roller buckles; the shoulder straps - a luxurious mix of leather and canvas are similarly made. There is a removable hip belt that, while not being extravagantly padded was simple, serviceable and functional. There has been much hoo-haa about the three black nylon compression straps and quick release buckles on the Kit Chatter forum. Having thought that it was a rather daft thing to get het up about, I can now see that there is something to the complaint: the straps and buckles do not fit in with the rest of a very carefully thought out pack. Kifaru, another manufacturer whose gear I admire, manage to source coloured buckles and webbing; it is a pity that Duluth didn't seek out something similar. The black webbing feels rather thin and cheap, too - another slight gripe.

When ordering the pack, you do have the option of a wax coating to improve its weather resistance. Since I shove most of my bits and bobs into Exped drybags anyway, I opted to go for the 'dry' version.

I used the pack up in the Lake District recently on both hills and down in the valleys. On day walks with just waterproofs, water, some food, a few essentials and a map to carry, the pack was comfortable enough, hugging the curve and contour of my back well but carrying the load low - and this with the compression straps done up tight. When loaded up with overnight kit, the pack comes into its own. The process of putting your Thermarest or Karrimat in the pack, pushing it out to the sides and then loading you gear into the resulting hole is good and has been practised by Outward Bound for years. I would say that it is easier to do this with a Thermarest than a closed cell foam mat because there is a little more 'give' in a Thermarest. That said, the closed cell foam option does give you more of a 'frame' effect. Maybe the ideal would be one of the 'eggbox' type mats folded up the back, leaving you the rest of the pack in a slightly floppier but more easily packable state.

During my stay, I used a closed cell foam mat and was able to carry the loads comfortably. However, when the pack was full, it was quite difficult to pull in the top drawstring and cover the main compartment with the lid. After a certain amount of gruffing and grunting, I did manage it but it prompted me to think about changing the leather thong around the pack's top for some paracord.

When fully loaded and adjusted, the pack carried well. It wasn't so tall that when I looked up, my head was blocked by a bulging top pocket; it wasn't enormously wide but it did go back quite a long way when the two pockets were filled.

Any real gripes? I would have liked the tape on the compression straps to be of a higher quality, a little longer and ideally the same colour as the pack. I would like to see a couple of wand pockets on the sides at the bottom with drainage holes for any number of things that I might like to take with me, even (Heaven forfend!) tent poles. The roller buckles will take me a little while to get used to. The lid pocket I did find rather annoying because, having been brought up with keeping quite a few bits and pieces that you might want to have easy access to in the top pocket of the rucksack, this was neither easy nor capacious nor accessible.

My main question is this: what is this pack for? It is beautifully made in thick, hardwearing canvas and will, no doubt, outlast me by a good long time but the materials make this a heavy pack, even when empty. The leather is charming and will weather and become more friendly with age but you do not have the same adjustability as you do with nylon and q.r. buckles. Is this delightfully retro piece of kit just that and nothing more? Or is there more to its surface delights? I am sure that I will use it for overnight exploits when I want to give off the aura of a REAL bushcrafter but as soon as the trip becomes very much longer, I'll be packing my Berghaus Cyclops safe in the knowledge that it's light, strong, supportive, comfortable and will carry everything I need and want to carry - AND I can have access to the stuff in the top pocket easily.

I would say that you have to think carefully about this one. It sort of looks and feels authentic but, hard-nosed professional that I am, the out-and-out practicality of it is rather lacking. It looks and feels beautiful and is beautifully made and thoughtfully designed but the nagging doubt that keeps on bubbling up through all the confused emotions about this pack is its practicality. Modern packs made from petrochemicals are generally not attractive but they do their jobs brilliantly - if briefly; this one will keep doing the same job OK for year after year and if that's what you want, then go for it - you won't be disappointed AND you'll look the part. But then, perhaps this will just grow on me as the years unfold. Time will tell.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for that Tiley, that i feel is a very fair review, giving an unbiased look at something you've purchased, can be difficult, and what you've pointed out, are things that were at the front of my mind.

Rob

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
My main question is this: what is this pack for? It is beautifully made in thick, hardwearing canvas and will, no doubt, outlast me by a good long time but the materials make this a heavy pack, even when empty. The leather is charming and will weather and become more friendly with age but you do not have the same adjustability as you do with nylon and q.r. buckles. Is this delightfully retro piece of kit just that and nothing more? Or is there more to its surface delights? I am sure that I will use it for overnight exploits when I want to give off the aura of a REAL bushcrafter but as soon as the trip becomes very much longer, I'll be packing my Berghaus Cyclops safe in the knowledge that it's light, strong, supportive, comfortable and will carry everything I need and want to carry - AND I can have access to the stuff in the top pocket easily.

I would say that you have to think carefully about this one. It sort of looks and feels authentic but, hard-nosed professional that I am, the out-and-out practicality of it is rather lacking. It looks and feels beautiful and is beautifully made and thoughtfully designed but the nagging doubt that keeps on bubbling up through all the confused emotions about this pack is its practicality. Modern packs made from petrochemicals are generally not attractive but they do their jobs brilliantly - if briefly; this one will keep doing the same job OK for year after year and if that's what you want, then go for it - you won't be disappointed AND you'll look the part. But then, perhaps this will just grow on me as the years unfold. Time will tell.

Thanks for this review. I think you've hit the nail on the head with your question - What is this pack really for? I was very taken with the pack when my attention was brought to it (on another thread) but my view is that while I want a traditional leather and canvas pack, I don't expect it to become my multi day pack as "petrochemicals" have the advantage of weight and convenience. On the other hand I am definitely going to get a traditional daypack where the weight is of less significance. (OR - I'm going to have a go at making one, if I can find the time and a good source of 15oz canvas.)

I used to be an ultralighter (Did the C2C with all my gear fitting easily in a Golite 40lt pack) but have recently been quite willing to add weight when I find kit made from natural materials - no real reason, I just like it. However, the next time I do a LDP I suspect I will leave behind a lot of my heavier, natural kit and regress to plastic. Horses for courses.

Love to know what you think in a year's time, having lived with the pack.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I still cannot puzzle this one out. If anyone is interested, mine is going to be for sale on that bit of the forum where such things happen. The price will be stupidly cheap - just give me time to get the ad on there!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You have me waxing all sentimental about it.

I can recall when a Bergen, meant a rucksack from Bergen's of Norway, a confection in canvas and leather with a steel frame and WW2 vintage, my first rucksack being of that ilk, a hand me down from my dad's army days. Well it weighed a ton, even before I stuffed it with whatever I deemed essential then. I have to say as time goes by, much as I appreciate the craftsmanship and the feel of something substantial, I am also sold on the virtues of modern materials and light weight as I am no longer the braw youth that I was.

One thing I do suspect though, that no matter how light your pack, what you put within it will expand to render that advantage null :)

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I'd like one too. Gonna wait until a trip to the States & bring one (or two) home. They're not too expensive when you look on the sites but with shipping & Duty it probably doubles the price.

Infrared

Apr 6, 2012
Swansea
I was lucky enough to spend a week or so dog sledding out of Ely Minnesotta a year or so ago. Duluth is the major township for the area and our hosts gave us Duluth packs for all our kit.
We used vintage wooden dog sleds and slept out under the stars in snow scrapes. Night time temps were -30*c. We travelled across the frozen lakes of the canoe wilderness area for the week.
Plenty of Wolf tracks but didnt get to see any although others have.
Next trip will be visit the place in the summer and paddle the same lakes. ( they dont allow any mechanised transport in the area including pedal cycles!!)
We used Wintergreen dog sledding if anyones interested.
Flight were into Chicago, change for Minneapolis and then 4x4 hire for a 5 hour drive North. Amazing to be on those long straight highways surrounded by snow and no other vehicles seen for hours on end.
Truly was the trip of a lifetime and cant recomend it enough

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd like one too. Gonna wait until a trip to the States & bring one (or two) home. They're not too expensive when you look on the sites but with shipping & Duty it probably doubles the price.

When I was in the Duluth shop this summer they were just as pricey as they are over here, for some reason they were cheaper if you found them in smaller outfitters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE