Worlds Highest Rubbish Dump!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Apparrently, Everest isn't such a big deal in the climbing community anymore, 'I've climbed Everest' has become a devalued currency. Perhaps there is a selfish tendancy in the mindsets of people who want to prove something to themselves and their peers by making such an obvious statement about their abilities. Everest to climbers is about as fashionable as a Rolls Royce to serious motor enthusiasts. As far as I'm concerned the whole deal stinks of corporate ponse ego land. What is it all about? just so that people can punch the air in self-congratulation? Wasn't there a story recently in the news about a dying man being passed by many climbers who's personal goals were more important than the life of another human being? Is it any suprise that the hill is full of junk with the kind of rubbish climbing all over it?

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
drstrange said:
Apparrently, Everest isn't such a big deal in the climbing community anymore, 'I've climbed Everest' has become a devalued currency. Perhaps there is a selfish tendancy in the mindsets of people who want to prove something to themselves and their peers by making such an obvious statement about their abilities. Everest to climbers is about as fashionable as a Rolls Royce to serious motor enthusiasts. As far as I'm concerned the whole deal stinks of corporate ponse ego land. What is it all about? just so that people can punch the air in self-congratulation? Wasn't there a story recently in the news about a dying man being passed by many climbers who's personal goals were more important than the life of another human being? Is it any suprise that the hill is full of junk with the kind of rubbish climbing all over it?

A twelve year old girl "climbed it" (got pulled up it by sherpas - same as most of the rest) not that long ago so Everest street cred must be close to zero! :lmao:

trouble

May 7, 2005
Suffolk
I'm of to Nepal in Febuary for 4 weeks and the environmental impact of my trip was foremost in my mind before deciding to go. I consider myself to be green and this is the first flight I have taken for years as I try really hard to limit my carbon footprint (pressie to myself for finishing a 5 year part-time degree).

Having trawled the trekking forums I've learned that it is possible to have a relatively eco-freindly trip, I'll be purifying my own water (saves on huge quantities of plastic waste from bottles), avoiding purchases of packaging-rich luxury items and I'm planning on only staying only in lodges that burn Yak-dung or kerosene instead of wood.

Originally I was planning on trekking from Jirri to Namche and on to Gokyo rather than the overused tourist route up to Everest base camp but I've heard that the deforestation on this route (below the tree line) is horrendous, the wood cheifly going to Namche Bazzar to fuel the explosion of tourism there.

I have heard that the Annapurna region is more eco-freindly than Khumbu as a trekking location as there are strict regulations banning the use of wood as fuel within the national park and waste disposal solutions have become a priority for the local authorities.

Any suggestions for an ecofriendly and socially responsible itinery for trek would really be appreciated as would any recommendations of a local guide that really knows his natural history and geology.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Hey Trouble,

I went out to the Khumbu for a 4 week trek in February this year and it was absolutely glorious !

Gokyo in particular was amazing here’s a view from the top of Gokyo Ri to whet your appetite !

livejournalnepal1.jpg

February is the perfect time to go - very few tourists and very few people out on the trail - you really get to experience the High Himalaya at its quietist.

Gokyo was just as spectacular if not more so than Everest base Camp and Karlar Pattar.

The best views of Everest in the entire region are from Scoundrels View as you head up the valley from Gokyo towards Cho Oyu base Camp.

I am hoping to go back early next year myself and intend to skip the EBC area entirely and concentrate on exploring the valleys around Gokyo and then head down to Chukung.

I’m still writing up my trek diary but would be happy to pass on the names of some great lodges that you could stay at.

The issue of deforestation is not as big as it used to be. Having read up on the issue while in the Khumbu I believe that the harvesting of wood is now entirely sustainable.

Don't worry too much on your visit being a negative impact on the region - by organising a solo trek you are maximising the inward investment into the region and allowing yourself a flexible schedule to cope with the altitude and terrain.

You'll have an awsome time !

trouble

May 7, 2005
Suffolk
Brilliant pictures! :lmao: I'm so exited now I probably won't sleep tonight! :lmao: I was planning to explore the Gokyo region myself, head up the valley past the lakes returning to cross the Cho La pass.

I havn't bought a guide book yet as the a new edition of the one I want is out in February but I've heard the area is stunning and any info you can pass on would really be appreciated.

Have you heard of the new requirement for a TRC certificate which can only be issued if you hire a TAAN registered guide in KTM? There is more information at trekinfo.com.

Thanks for the reassurance! Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE