Workshops at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Id like to do a gourd waterbottle carving/decorating workshop,however, gourds (surprisingly) are hard to source and seem to be about £18 each in china town. Unless anybody knows of anywhere they can be bought cheap?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thanks Tengu! though at £14 each im not sure a job lot will be much cheaper, unless i can get some very small gourds.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'll be bringing along a large bag of merino wool tops, some sponges, some pre-felt and a box of felting needles. So as well as leatherwork and green woodcraft, I'll do a workshop on needle felting - maybe even regular wet felting too.

By the end of the felting session, you should be able to make these - :rolleyes:;):D

6a00d83516a1ba53ef0120a5e1b5c7970b.jpg

6a00d83516a1ba53ef0120a5f5f585970b.jpg

6a00d83516a1ba53ef0120a6aec981970b-500wi.jpg

(These all by Moy Mackay)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I guess that to get to that standard it will be more than a half day workshop .....
I hope to be running a "Flint and steel fire lighting" workshop at some point ...maybe including "how to make charcloth" .....

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hunting with dogs
Foraging
Flint Knapping
Bow making
Friction Firelighting
Flint and Steel firelighting
Net Needle making
Netmaking
Sharpening
Carving
Leatherwork
Game Prep
First Aid
Knots
Willow baskets
Basic expedition canoeing
Whoppie Slings, Soft Shackles and continuous loops from Amsteel
Cooking
Antler buttons/Toggles
Gord carving/decorating

etc

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Id like to do a gourd waterbottle carving/decorating workshop,however, gourds (surprisingly) are hard to source and seem to be about £18 each in china town. Unless anybody knows of anywhere they can be bought cheap?

Is there anything that can be used instead? If people want to do it they could bring one themselves, it would be a case of creating a list...

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
For the whoppie slings, soft shackles and continus loops from Amsteel people will need to bring their own amsteel and resnikov (James) will bring the info, skills and tools :D If you're itnerested please list your name so he knows where he's at. goodjob

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Tony, any chance you can amend the needle making to net needle making... unless you mean sewing needle making, which is a skill I'd be quite interested in learning :rolleyes:

Just so as folks know which they'll be making :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I have a load of antler bits and cows horns.

I can bring some tools along and we could make small things with them, buttons, toggles and the like.

Not so much a teaching as mutual learning session.

Is there going to be leather tooling? I picked up a set of stamps at the Knife show, would like to learn to use them.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Scruff has kindly managed to get me some gourds off a market in china, where he just happens to be strolling. they are only shot bottle sized, and not sure how many hes got, but I reckon it might be doable.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Scruff has kindly managed to get me some gourds off a market in china, where he just happens to be strolling. they are only shot bottle sized, and not sure how many hes got, but I reckon it might be doable.

Linz, are you bringing your burning pen? I can bring mine plus an inverter for use with a 12v ciggy socket from a vehicle.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Well, if there are a few pyrography pens, we can do some wood burning and burning on leather. I've got a few sheets of good graphite paper for image transfer, so if anyone fancies having a play, and has a specific drawing/image in mind they would like to burn then print it on a sheet of A4 paper (clear outline in red is best) and bring it along. The reason for printing it out in red is because you'll be going over the image with a black pen or pencil to transfer the image to the work surface. The red original allows you to see bits you may have missed. Not possible with balck on a black original. The image will be taped down and once you remove it, you'll never get it registered again so missing a bit can become a big deal. Red original means this cannot happen.

In fact, now I think about it some more, if anyone making leather items at the pre moot course wants to burn an image on their project, this would be the ideal opportunity. I'm thinking knife sheaths with a burned picture of a wolf on it, or some celtic knotwork - stuff like that.

Eric

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i would like to make the whoopi slings but have no amsteel i would gladly pay for some how much do i need regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE