Woodlore Knife Pro

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I ordered one of these Woodlore Pro knives on Saturday. It arrived on Tuesday, after the tragic news of Steve Wade Cox's death.

The question that has been asked a great deal is: is it worth the money? A friend of mine, who knows a great deal more about this sort of thing than I do, had a good look at it and stated that it would be one hell of a job to get all the tapers and grinds done as evenly and accurately. The fact that these are hand-made means that a huge number of man-hours have gone into the production of each one. Add to that the exceptional quality of finish on both the knife and the sheath and one begins to understand why it might cost as much as it does. In short, he said that it probably is worth the money, from a machining point of view alone.

I also thought that it might be interesting to see it alongside the Rod Garcia Skookum Bushtool and Rob Evans Bushtool because there are some fairly close similarities in blade shape. I added my Ben Orford Woodlander as a reference and because I no longer own an Alan Wood. From the left they are: 1. Orford Woodlander, 2. Woodlore Pro, 3. Rob Evans Bushtool, 4. Rod Garcia Skookum Bushtool in 01 and 5. another Skookum Bushtool in S30V.

010.jpg013.jpg
014.jpg

I was lucky enough to get an even numbered one.

015.jpg012.jpg011.jpg

It is these pictures of the handles that haven given me pause for thought. I have quite big hands and annoyingly long fingers. It means that I tend to prefer a knife with a fuller handle, particularly if I am going to be using it for prolonged periods, which I do regularly. You will notice that my other, more battered and extensively used knives have that chunkier handle where the Woodlore Pro is quite slender by comparison.

I had not intended this new addition to be a drawer queen; when I buy a knife, it gets used. I also think that the design and superb workmanship on the Pro are a joy to behold - something that certainly does not come across from the unexceptional photos on the Woodlore website. But I am wracked by indecision: should I keep the Pro on the understanding that it will probably be my second choice knife among the others in the collection or should I return it to Woodlore and get a refund?

Half of me says keep it and the other half - perhaps the louder, more rational one - says send it back. With returns only possible within 14 days and Christmas approaching, I need to make a decision sooner rather than later. This is, I fully appreciate, an enviable position to be in but I just don't know what to do. Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

Reactions: PoppyD

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
If it doesn't feel right in your hand then don't use it.

If you can afford it...
Keep it in the drawer , it will be worth more in a few years.
👍

PS - Nice collection and post T. 👍👍

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If it doesn't feel right in your hand then don't use it.

If you can afford it...
Keep it in the drawer , it will be worth more in a few years.


PS - Nice collection and post T. 

You are, of course, right. I love the thought and engineering that has gone into the creation of this knife; it is beautifully made but I was going to use it - what's the point of having a tool like this and just have it sitting in your drawer doing nothing? - and it's not right in the hand, so back it will go.

It is a bit of a sadness but, as you can see, I've got a few to play with in the interim and it'll free up the money for some other 'necessities'...

Thank you for your advice: it is sound, valued and correct.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I ordered one of these Woodlore Pro knives on Saturday. It arrived on Tuesday, after the tragic news of Steve Wade Cox's death.

The question that has been asked a great deal is: is it worth the money? A friend of mine, who knows a great deal more about this sort of thing than I do, had a good look at it and stated that it would be one hell of a job to get all the tapers and grinds done as evenly and accurately. The fact that these are hand-made means that a huge number of man-hours have gone into the production of each one. Add to that the exceptional quality of finish on both the knife and the sheath and one begins to understand why it might cost as much as it does. In short, he said that it probably is worth the money, from a machining point of view alone.

I also thought that it might be interesting to see it alongside the Rod Garcia Skookum Bushtool and Rob Evans Bushtool because there are some fairly close similarities in blade shape. I added my Ben Orford Woodlander as a reference and because I no longer own an Alan Wood. From the left they are: 1. Orford Woodlander, 2. Woodlore Pro, 3. Rob Evans Bushtool, 4. Rod Garcia Skookum Bushtool in 01 and 5. another Skookum Bushtool in S30V.

View attachment 42947View attachment 42950
View attachment 42951

I was lucky enough to get an even numbered one.

View attachment 42952View attachment 42949View attachment 42948

It is these pictures of the handles that haven given me pause for thought. I have quite big hands and annoyingly long fingers. It means that I tend to prefer a knife with a fuller handle, particularly if I am going to be using it for prolonged periods, which I do regularly. You will notice that my other, more battered and extensively used knives have that chunkier handle where the Woodlore Pro is quite slender by comparison.

I had not intended this new addition to be a drawer queen; when I buy a knife, it gets used. I also think that the design and superb workmanship on the Pro are a joy to behold - something that certainly does not come across from the unexceptional photos on the Woodlore website. But I am wracked by indecision: should I keep the Pro on the understanding that it will probably be my second choice knife among the others in the collection or should I return it to Woodlore and get a refund?

Half of me says keep it and the other half - perhaps the louder, more rational one - says send it back. With returns only possible within 14 days and Christmas approaching, I need to make a decision sooner rather than later. This is, I fully appreciate, an enviable position to be in but I just don't know what to do. Any help or advice would be gratefully received!
If you're going to return it to Woodlore, May I suggest that you offer it on here for cost price? That way, you get the money back you paid for it and someone else has the opportunity to own a fantastic working knife.....

I for one would be interested in such an offer.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
If you're going to return it to Woodlore, May I suggest that you offer it on here for cost price? That way, you get the money back you paid for it and someone else has the opportunity to own a fantastic working knife.....

Amen to that. 👍

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire

It's a good suggestion but I'm afraid that I am hampered by the need to conceal my brief flirtation with the Woodlore Pro from SWMBO. To cover my tracks, I bought it on my credit card; if I sold it here to a worthy member, ultimately, it would appear in our account and questions ( think: Spanish Inquisition only more painful and shrill...) would be asked over a prolonged period. By having my credit card credited, I avoid these traumas. With Christmas fast approaching and goodwill at a premium, I hope you can understand why it is simpler if I just get a refund from Woodlore. I am sorry to have disappointed you on this but needs must!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Well the good news, surely, is you've just made an early profit on your investment as collectors will pay handsomely for one of these.

Clearly I don't wish to make light of the tragedy behind this but that's the reality of your situation.

K

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well the good news, surely, is you've just made an early profit on your investment as collectors will pay handsomely for one of these.

Clearly I don't wish to make light of the tragedy behind this but that's the reality of your situation.

K

I am not quite as cynical as that, neither would I ever wish to exploit the tragic situation to suit my own ends.

I packed up the Pro earlier today and have posted it back to Woodlore. In doing so, I have actually made a loss because it cost me to send it and I will only be refunded the cost of the knife. In the light of this, perhaps you might wish to reappraise "the reality of" my "situation".

Next week, Woodlore will definitely have Pro No.40 available for anyone who might be interested, bushcrafter, professional or even a collector... And, yes, it really is worth its price tag!

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Your shout , 14 days and counting I can see why you sent it back (being so close to crimbo peps might be short ) but I would have given the forum a look (I suppose you did with your dilemma ) for a day or two , still you never jumped on the profit some woodlores seem to attract 👍

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It was, as you say, my shout. Given the situation, it would have really troubled me to be seen as profiteering somehow from the sale of the Pro on this forum. On the rare occasion that I buy a knife, I buy it to use, something which, as I outlined in my earlier post, I was not entirely confident of being able to do comfortably for prolonged periods with the Pro. It just seemed simpler to return it whence it came and be refunded; then, the commercial hurly-burly is put back firmly on to Woodlore's lap and not mine.

Yes, it might have been a hasty decision and yes, perhaps I should have offered it to contributors to the forum but, again for reasons previously outlined, I didn't.

Someone, somewhere will have the opportunity to own it and, I sincerely hope, use it. In the meantime, I'll be able to enjoy some rather better bottles of wine with my family over Christmas and have the benefit of not feeling (too) guilty about my sly purchase.

Oh - and the relief from no longer being plagued by my dilemma is enormous!

Jingle bells!

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Does anyone know exactly how many was made, i received no:58 yesterday,and will be the proud owner for many years,

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
JD said less than 60 were made so it may well be yours was the very last one to be made and sold by Woodlore...
Wow, that would be an honour if it is, I was in to minds about buying it, im glad I have now. Stephen's work was so inspiring. At first I thought the price of this knife was just way to much, but once its in your hand you see why its so valuable.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE