Woodlore Knife Pro

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've posted a long and hopefully level response on BB and EM about the uncalled for bashing going on, so I won't repeat that here. And to be honest, the responses here have been far more reasonable and level headed, apart from the odd one. So I'll just lead into this...

[FONT=&amp]​I have one in hand right now. To be honest, it looks different in the flesh than it does in the pictures. It's like the old AW Tamarack profile in some ways, only less abrupt and more subtle. I love that old Tamarack design. Wish I'd never sold it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
Tamarack.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The tapered blade and tang are certainly noticeable and reduce the weight down so there is no appreciable difference to this and the first Woodlore, despite the micarta handle too.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]It's not blade heavy as suggested in the blurb, it's handle heavy. A good job too as I find blade heavy knives a liability and less easy to use fast and fluidly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]No quality issues. It's SWC's best work for sure.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]It's hard to say this, but I can see the improvements over the MK1 design. It's not a gimmick. It's there to see when just handling the thing. It seems like it will be more friendly for carving, and battoning will certainly be smoother as SWC has already said. The large choil area, although something I'm not keen on, does make it possible to choke up on for fine work, which the MK1 didn't. I can see a load of thought went into this design. I wish it wasn't peeing down so I could go and have a play. As it is, this will have to wait till next week now, unless I feel like having a day off tomorrow. I'll check the forecast.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Sorry about the pics, it's gone really dark here.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]​
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]​
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I'll pop some comparison pics up later with the older models - Instructors, AW MK1, Wilkinsons, SWC and JP[/FONT]

Reactions: PoppyD

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice write up JD, thanks for the additional pics of it as well.

Be interesting to see what your impressions are of it once you've actually used it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can feel one of my epic reviews coming along. I've not done one in a while as they are hard work and take up loads of time, but I feel the need to go out and use this hard.

Reactions: PoppyD

chris123

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2016
norwich
May get one and grind all identifying marks off. Well I would if it was all about the knife. But alas it's not, sad tho that such a great knife gets such a slating. I personally love it, and if I thought I'd use it for a lifetime I wouldn't hesitate. However like every bloke on here I get bored and distracted every time something new and shiny comes along.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Those comparative photos are excellent and really useful, as is JonathanD's initial write up. Looking on the Woodlore website, it seems that they have already sold out. I suppose my main concern is that the quality of manufacture is scrupulously maintained as the undoubted demand for them heads skywards. I do remain a little concerned by that blank bit (ricasso? choil?) between the cutting edge and the handle but I also feel rather more positive about it...

ED-E

May 22, 2012
Germany
No one describes bevels by percentage.... Some numpty guy from admin/web design got it wrong. It'll be 25º.... people said the original woodlore was too steep at 28º (not 30)

Except for it isn't 25º inclusive. It's between 13/14dps, so 25% is probably right then. I checked my own records. Woodlore was listed at 30º inclusive, which was too steep imo.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
One clever move to make it a real collectors knife is the fact that each blade is numbered...

So collectors in time will pay a premium for the single figure blades

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
One clever move to make it a real collectors knife is the fact that each blade is numbered...

So collectors in time will pay a premium for the single figure blades

Mr Deval has 006; I wonder if 007 will be worth even more? After all, it'll be endorsed by Mr Mears and this country's most famous government employee...

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I have just shown my missus JD's comparison photograph and her words o wisdom were"I don't like the new one it looks like a shark "

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The upswept cuved bevel is much more preferable imo. My mates just bought one of these. Will have to have a play.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE