Woodlore Knife Pro

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Bit too rich for my pocket for sure but looks good

Details here

Woodlore-Knife-Pro.jpg

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Im not moved by it much. Prefer the old spear point woodlore design and its just a smidge out of my price range too. A 5mm scandi is a bit excessive, cannot think of many scenarios where that extra thickness will be of any use.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Insane price tbh, much as i love what Ray Mears does, its a massive shame to see such blatant cashing in; esp consider why and where he started with Bushcraft, and his comments on "expensive" gear on numerous occassions

Reactions: airborne09

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
If you follow Ray on his travels throughout the world, you will not see any of the indigenous people or tribes use anything that resembles a bushcraft knife, its basically only us that use it, and to be honest we don't use them that much, it is blatant profiteering, just like his other knives, you can buy the kit for the cox bushcraft, for about £79, buy it with Ray's name on it and its £300+, as my old Dad used to say.........let it be

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I did a weekend course with ray this year and he mentioned that his old knife got stolen and was in the process of designing a new one, this must be it... Although ouch on the price, to be honest I preferred the other design

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Pff, from what I understand since 1990 Ray goes through one knife every 5 years from excessive sharpening, pretty sure he can get a new one from Alan Wood anytime he wants so this must just be a new design so he can buy another Rolex...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The blade's too thick and the price is, quite frankly, bonkers. It seems like the awkward love child of the Skookum and something far clumsier. Anyone interested in this would do well to get in touch with Rob Evans or even Rod Garcia, if you can bear the wait, and get the real thing at a fraction of the price.

That said, there'll be some folk out there who will take the plunge. It'll be interesting to see what they think. Initial impressions are not entirely favourable, though.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not sure if those saying its too thick and clumsy have noted that the description states that the blade has a distal taper and that the tang is tapered, so the only place the stock is 5mm is at the blade/handle junction, maybe just a bit forward. I would want to see a picture from the spine before I absolutely hung my hat on that, but it is what is described. That could make it handier than the old Woodlore.

I am interested in the handle thickness too. That was a place that the Woodlore scored over knives that used Micarta, which is typically available in only in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 and 1". Hard to make a hand filling sculpted handle when the material is only 3/8. Maybe they have sourced something that was thicker. I am sure it will be comfortable.

As I have got older I have become less bothered by the price of things like this. Value is a very subjective thing and people who are in business have to price to their market. You and I might not be that market. If they are selling a name as well as a product, people will pay more than the base cost of the materials and maker's time, maybe just for confidence that the design will be better thought out and tested than from someone without the same bona fides. If no one buys, then they either drop the price or stop offering it. Such is the way of the world and criticising it is kinda a waste of breath. I am not in the market for a fancy watch, or any designer label clothing either.

Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE