Wooden-Handled Folding Saw (Not Opinel)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
Can anyone reccommend a good wooden-handled folding saw that isn't either of the opinel folding saws? Or if it is one of the opinel ones, are they any good?
I want to get a folding saw and as a matter of preference I'd rather get a wooden handled one. The opinel ones seem a bit overpriced for how big they are/how reasonably priced other opinel products are.
Thanks,
Mike

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
He calls it a Sandvic (sic) folding bush saw and it looks like the handle is made from plywood. I've had a quick look on the internet and Sandvik saws are coming up but not with a wooden handle.

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
Thanks for the replies guys. The New Jersey one would be a good option if it wasn't for being born on these rainy English shores. However, if the dick.biz site delivers to England fairly cheaply, I found a nice saw on there (not the Cocobolo one, though that looks great).
This is the one I'm looking at: http://www.dick.biz/cgi-bin/dick.storefront/47422b5d000defd2273f50f3360905e4/Home
(Should come up with classic pruning saw)
Thanks,
Mike

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Earlyturtle,

The link doesn't go where you expected it to. Were you intending to link to the non-folding classic pruning saw(s) (two different sizes - 24 and 27 cm I think)?

As an opinel saw owner I can say that they are very good and mine has certainly been worth the money. My opinel's blade has out lived my silky's blade. This is due to the fact that although the teeth are of a very similar design and to the great difference in their size's, they have had different work-loads; the silky was capable of cutting down a tree and then cutting it up and the opinel ..... well it could do that too, but on a much smaller scale :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have both small and large Opi saws,
and they seem pretty good to me. I haven't put them to a serious test of their abilities, but they work for trimming branches and the like. Having used a pocket chainsaw in the past, then the Opi's, I thik a natural progression would be to the shark type pull-saws (they cut on the pull stroke) and give a very narrow cut channel - meaning that you remove a lot less material than a standard saw - so you don't get so tired etc.

I went down this route simply because I can't see the attration of a plastic handled bahco saw.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
I went down this route simply because I can't see the attration of a plastic handled bahco saw.

Yeah I know what you mean. All I'll really be doing is cutting small-ish branches. I have a bigger saw for the wood I have at home.
Thanks for the help again everyone, think it'll have to be an Opinel (hopefully from Santa).
Cheers,
Mike

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
The Opinel 18cm folding saw turned up today. Absolutely great blade. What was taking me up to ten minutes with my other saw took about 30 seconds (that said, my other saw is a hand-me-down that hasn't made sawdust since the '80s). I was initially concerned that the blade was a bit bendy but this hasn't been a problem. And the handle (wooden-the reason I bought it) is really lovely.
I'm v. satisfied.

A

appletree_man

I noticed SAS sergeant Eddie Stone uses a little Opinel saw.

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Opinel saws are really nice bits of kit. I have an old folding saw with wooden handle thats over 100 years old and that still works very well.

Kris

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have a pocketboy bought in sweden a couple of years ago. It is a very fine blade and gives a superfine cut like a nice japanese saw, I have felled small trees with it but certainly would not recomend it for that or for firewood, I managed to put a small kink in the blade one time when I got it pinched in a branch. In fact I looked at this thread because I am thinking of getting a bigger coarser saw with a thicker blade that would take harder use.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He does indeed Spike - a 130 model.

Personally I rate it higher than a Laplander (albeit marginally). Its more simple to pocket carry with a better and more comfortable handle. The blade is at least as good as a Laplander and marginally better in my view. There are also many blades in different tpi available for the same handle so you can make it suitable for your chosen task. I suspect you might have been sold one with too high a tooth count there robin (I know you understand these things, but you might notknow that silky do a variety of blades for the pocket boy - not trying to teach my grandmother here)

Anyway - I like it - get the right one and its at least as good as a Laplander - better IMHO

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE