Opinel cutlery inserts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Picnic+ Cutlery Insert Set

Picnic_InsertSetProducts_2000x.jpg

How do these work in real life? Are they a good utensil for camping and bushcrafty usage? Does the spoon work well for soups and is the fork large enough to be useful for normal meals?

I am thinking of adding them to a Number 9 sized Opinel but, I am open and receptive to other suggestions!

TIA,
Sid

Morph

Aug 19, 2009
Out Back
Yes, they do look interesting. Not sure that they will fit your No. 9 Opinel though; the description does say "Picnic+ inserts are intended to be used ONLY on non-altered Opinel No.08 wood handle knives."

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Here you go.
Thanks for that but I don't seem to be able to place an order as they say my email address is invalid...... Very strange.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Get busy and carve your own wooden utensils. Wood carving isn't rocket science. I suggest that you begin with a soft wood such as Linden or most green woods such as the fruit woods.

Metal utensils don't help hot food on a cold night. Then you get slopped up changing from one utensil to the other. OOOPS! Dang, dropped the fork unit in the dirt before I could lick it off.

There are some very good blade smiths in this parish. Or, Mora 162 or 163 will do fine. 164 is too tight a sweep and a chore to make carving sharp and keep it that way.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Whitby are the UK Opinel distributors IIRC

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
E="Robbi, post: 2029391, member: 12866"]
?????
[/QUOTE]
Old German military spoon/fork combo was/is sometimes called that because of it's large size. One had to guess if it was meant for digging or eating.

Reactions: Robbi

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
E="Robbi, post: 2029391, member: 12866"]
?????
Old German military spoon/fork combo was/is sometimes called that because of it's large size. One had to guess if it was meant for digging or eating.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, OK... I'll have to have a looksee at that.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
As I understand it, you can only use the knife or the fork or the spoon at any one time. Hmmmm. I wonder whether it's worth it - at all - when you've got the pleasure of producing your own in the woods along with the pride of using it for years afterwards?

As Tengu said, "It looks like a solution looking for a problem"...

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
If I'm out in the woods for a week or more, carving my own tools makes more sense. The woods around me though don't really have tree species that make a reasonable tool for me to use for food due to texture and density issues.

The Opinel set seems to be a good option for a picnic or a short weekend journey. And, I could see using it at work some when the flimsy plastic cutlery doesn't cut.

Being as short as it is, is attractive to me for throwing it in a coat pocket or even my pants pocket. If I'm at a weekend fair and want something reasonable to eat some random food without good plastic cutlery is another use case for myself.

For preplanned long camping weekends, I generally have some standard-sized Ti utensils and, my desk at work usually has some traditional 'silverware' waiting.

I have spent many a meal wishing I had a reasonable knife and fork or spoon that would not fold, collapse, twist, etc. on me. Something like this should carry a lot like a pocket knife which is a big "win" for me if it is there when plastic cutlery fails!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE