WinterMoot 2022 : 14-20th Feb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Ok so it looks like we will probably be there Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. Much shorter than I was hoping but that's school holidays for you.

I may have just not found it but is there a list of workshops running? Specifically for the Saturday. Or is it more informal than that?

Thanks.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I am another of the sub zero group coming to the moot. I do have a couple of questions:

I have paid for the ticket, gone out of my bank account, but not received a ticket is that right? Am I still on the list?

Is there plenty of room for a large tent? I have a 10 man artic tent ( about the same size as a 3m bell tent) or do I need to bring a smaller one?

Really looking forward to this now that Finland has had to be postponed for another year.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I am another of the sub zero group coming to the moot. I do have a couple of questions:

I have paid for the ticket, gone out of my bank account, but not received a ticket is that right? Am I still on the list?

Is there plenty of room for a large tent? I have a 10 man artic tent ( about the same size as a 3m bell tent) or do I need to bring a smaller one?

Really looking forward to this now that Finland has had to be postponed for another year.
All digital, when you got your receipt should have a number on it, but Tony will have a print out of all the people on the day. Vaguely knowing the site it's better suited for tents - it has several flat bits and levels iirc - than hammocks so I'd assume you'd be fine, though if it's just you in there sounds like party is at yours. Anyway sure Tony will give a better idea of space Vs numbers.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ok so it looks like we will probably be there Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. Much shorter than I was hoping but that's school holidays for you.

I may have just not found it but is there a list of workshops running? Specifically for the Saturday. Or is it more informal than that?

Thanks.

Hey Bob, There's no list of workshops, it is more informal that that, there will be stuff going on Friday and Sat, not a lot Sunday. I can say that the plan at the moment is that we have some polish chaps sharing Polish cooking over the weekend, so that will be the main focus for those days.

Is there a bring and buy?
Not that we've organised, I can't think an area to have it to be honest as we've no spare sheltered areas and there's no building for us to use. So, the quicker version is no bring and buy, sorry.

Hey Pete, I'll be sending some emails out the next couple of days that will have more info, you're all good though, your number is '161' (that's not a reflection fo how many people are going!)

I would say that a smaller tent would be wise unless you're sharing the space, there are limited flat level areas, the main camping area has a slight slope with some flatter areas, the trees are mostly on a slope (thinking of hammock people here).

For general info:

Ultimately we've not used the site before so there's some unknown in how it all pans out, we've got a good area for cooking, prep and hanging out, there's other fire pit areas, we can have fires if they're raised off the ground, there's enough camping area, although a limited amount is on truly flat ground.

The car parking is away from the main camping and event area(150-200mt) so we'll be moving stuff down manually, wheelbarrows and if the quad/trailer is available with that.

Other than the Polish focused cooking at the weekend there's no set plan for the week, although we know that it will be dictated in part by butchering and cooking in the early days, moving on to smoking, baking etc.

Forest Knights (Wayne, Beth & Karl) will be doing the majority of the cooking workshops, Andy the outdoor chef from Ireland is still working on getting over but there's complications with covid etc over there so he may/may not be there, so we'll see how that pans out.

Forest Knights are also doing the Breakfasts and Evening Meals that people can book the day before, starting Monday (we can sort this out Monday on site, or people can post in here, or drop me a line) I don't know what the meals are going to be but knowing them they will be delicious and substantial. Breakfasts will be £3.50 and evening meals will be £7.50

Just a reminder to everyone, the site we're using is:
'Daniels Grove'
Cranham Scout Centre,
Cranham,
England,
GL4 8HP

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Most of the trees are on banks to the sides, there will probably be locations where the smokehouse will go up fine, but you may have to search them out!

I'm looking forward to seeing it! goodjob

py6km

Mar 4, 2014
UK
I found the attached, which looks as though it gives some idea of the layout, provided we're talking about the same place!

Just to get an idea - the green areas, which are marked as 'wooded or other land', are the places we're allowed to camp yes? If so, would the images below be representative of the way it is? As a tent bod, the middle one looks less appealing!

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 11.05.18.png

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 11.05.51.png

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 11.06.10.png

Attachments

• Site-Map-South-symbols-v2.pdf
    771.2 KB · Views: 5

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
OK, looking at this (your attachment) I've added a few bits denoted by the orange arrows.

The top picture is part of the flat area we'll be using, down nearer the bottom end.
The middle picture, I'm sure that's part of the area next to the site, I don't remember that on our site.
The bottom picture is not a part of our camping areas, it's from the other side of the road in the main large camping area for scouts.

The left hand side from the path is a wooded slope, hammocks can go in there, but it is quite the slope in places. The right side is grass and capable, although on a moderate slope, the only proper flat areas are though the middle going from N/E - S/W
You will find space for your tent, it might not be completely flat though :naughty:

There's also an orange line across the path near the lower parking area, there's no vehicle access beyond this point.

cranham site info.png

Reactions: Dean

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
OK, looking at this (your attachment) I've added a few bits denoted by the orange arrows.

The top picture is part of the flat area we'll be using, down nearer the bottom end.
The middle picture, I'm sure that's part of the area next to the site, I don't remember that on our site.
The bottom picture is not a part of our camping areas, it's from the other side of the road in the main large camping area for scouts.

The left hand side from the path is a wooded slope, hammocks can go in there, but it is quite the slope in places. The right side is grass and capable, although on a moderate slope, the only proper flat areas are though the middle going from N/E - S/W
You will find space for your tent, it might not be completely flat though :naughty:

There's also an orange line across the path near the lower parking area, there's no vehicle access beyond this point.

View attachment 72176
Quite looking forward to it now, though the thing I am looking forward to the most is an uninterrupted sleep! Daughter has been quite disruptive recently.

I have no idea how windy the "valley" can get. The only issue at the last moot was the wind, is anyone bringing wind breakers or similar for sitting round the communal fires?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think you'll need to reduce your hammocking area John, there's very little flat area with trees, trees are on the slope and the site is nothing like Merthy Mawr when it comes to space...

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Do we have a time we can access the site, it was said no later than 12:00 dose this still stand or can we get on earlier
Well, around 12 is fine, but not a lot earlier, we've got to get sorted and be in a position to help other people arriving etc. So, lets say from 11 for anyone reading this...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE