Winter sleeping kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
...... I once briefly owned a Rover 2000 TC. I had to sort out some wiring and remove the rear seat. Some previous occupant had stashed a pipe and large bag of hash in there :shock: . I've always investigated the insides of my possessions ever since :wink:
:rolmao: reminds me of when a guy in South Africa in the late 80's wanted to remove accumulated and dark particles in a strange pattern on the sides of his WW Microbus. When they opened the inside panels they found some 12 or 16 limpet mines with magnets :yikes: . The particles on the outside of the car was metal drawn by the magnets.
The SAP tried to trace the ownership of the car, and concluded that the car was used by the ANC to smuggle weapons, but had then been stolen and sold to several people before the guy who found the mines.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Oh by the way. My winter sleeping bag is the old model of Ajungilak Tyin Elite which can be used in even colder temperatures than the current models. A few dealers here in Norway may still have a small stock of the old models if one is lucky like me :eek:):
I've slept comfortable outside in that bag in -27 degrees Celcious wearing only my underwear (nope it wasn't even the woolens), while the rest of the group slept inside a damp and dripping snowcave. The trick was to eat a good meal with lots of carbohydrates before going to sleep, so the body had something to keep the machinery warm.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Tvividr said:
The trick was to eat a good meal with lots of carbohydrates before going to sleep, so the body had something to keep the machinery warm.
Excellent point - many forget that a sleeping bag doesn't supply warmth but trap it, and that warmth comes form the human machinery! :biggthump

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
Does anyone know how good the woodlore sleeping bags are. i was looking at the autumn/winter one, what temperature can it go down to?

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
does anyone know anything about the woodlore sleeping bags, are they good because they are certainly a lot of moneyand very heavy, What temperature can the autumn/winter one go down to?

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What are everyones opinion on the old mod issue G10 bag,they can be picked up very cheap now,even brand new ones.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
jack29g said:
does anyone know anything about the woodlore sleeping bags, are they good because they are certainly a lot of moneyand very heavy, What temperature can the autumn/winter one go down to?

I've got the Osprey, thier lightest bag, but at 2100g it's heavier than many 4 season bags. It's excellent and will cope with mild British winters i would think (though this is my first winter with it, so am yet to test it personally). Construction is superb, it's made by nanok and is almost identical to thier -10 endurance bag, except the osprey has a centre zip and some other nice features (internal mesh pockets and so on).

Between the two, I'd just get the cheapest.

leon-1

CLEM said:
What are everyones opinion on the old mod issue G10 bag,they can be picked up very cheap now,even brand new ones.

I used one in the forces for a good period of time, outside of the army and as a surplus peice of kit they are the cheapest down bag that you can get anywhere. The only thing that I would say is make sure you get a good one, a lot of surplus bags have very little filling in them, but if you can get a good, well filled bag then they are a top choice IMO

The problem is that they are down, although down bags are superb they have problems with moisture (when they get wet they stay wet and are cold) and in the U.K. this is not a bonus. If you can keep one dry and gaurentee that it will stay this way they are the best bag on the market for cost weight and packed size. I hope these comments are helpfull :eek:):

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Viking said:
Since I am thinking to buy me a new sleeping bag too this is what I am thinking of.

Fjällräven, their mummie range looks good at a low price and weight
http://www.fjallraven.com

Nanok, their endurance range is made for soldiers and are made so that you can sleep with your boots on.
http://www.nanok.no

Good choices! I'd very strongly recommend those Nanoks, my Endurance -25 is the best it of kit I have ever seen never mind owned. Really really really good. No cold spots, machine washable (no glue), can zip together to share body warmth, have armholes so you can do things without getting out of the bag, and as you mention you can keep your boots on in them. Fantastic

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Great Pebble said:
I keep asking this and keep not getting answered.

What's the pack size of the Nanok bags like, in comparison to say a snugpak?

They sound good but in the pics I've seen they look very bulky.

Dunno about the nanok, but the woodlore osprey falls somewhere in between thier 0 and -10 bags and the Osprey is very bulky.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
People forget simple physics with bags. Insulation keeps us warm by trapping warm air. This is called loft. Give me enough popcorn, shredded cigarette butts or newspaper and I can insulate you. How well and long each material performs is another issue. But I garantee my bag of popcorn next to a down or synthetic bag will weigh in at @ 5lbs for a cold rated unit and all will be- bulky. Thats why Inuits are stocky and not built like Watusis or Elephant Seals like Antelope. The compressability without breakdown or loss of loft is the real concern. The various bag and pack makers have figured out dimensions in their products and should both be ready to provide said information. Id rather be overheated at day packing a few extra pounds or bulk of bag than freezing at night anyway :wave:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Heres the snugpak softie 9 hawk -5 comfort -10 low
Picture1.jpg

it goes to about 10" wide 9" deep in its stuff sac just for a comparison :wink:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Great Pebble said:
I keep asking this and keep not getting answered.

What's the pack size of the Nanok bags like, in comparison to say a snugpak?

They sound good but in the pics I've seen they look very bulky.

Well my Nanok is indeed rather large - but then again I don't use a tent, and bear in mind it's a -25 model. It's synthetic, so it is bigger than a down equivalent (not that there is such a thing). To be honest though, I don't care about its size, as the advantages far outweigh it.

L

Little Mole

arctic hobo said:
have armholes so you can do things without getting out of the bag, Fantastic

I'd love a bag with legholes. I usually end up opening the zip and lying on the sleeping mat with all my clothes on and the bag over me like a blanket. I can't sleep with my legs restricted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE