Winter sleeping kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
I'm looking for a good quality synthetic autumn/winter bags. I'll be happy to spend £50-£100 on it. I would like it if it's in a green colour but it is'nt essential. Anyone got any ideas?

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
jack29g said:
I'm looking for a good quality synthetic autumn/winter bags. I'll be happy to spend £50-£100 on it. I would like it if it's in a green colour but it is'nt essential. Anyone got any ideas?

Check out Canyon mountain sports in Leicester they stock the Mountain Equipment Military sleeping bags. Avoid Snugpak.

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
if ur also looking for a small pack size then defonatley go for a snugpack but my friend has a nitestar 450 and he has no complantes about it and we'v been camping in the cairngorms in winter :biggthump

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The problem with an international community is our resources often are not. Fortunately information isn't taxed-yet. www.wiggys.com has an archived newsletter that is a treasure of information and anecdotal field reports. Jerry is opinionated and has his supporters and detractors. We can handle a knife, understand the Rockwell, steel type and feel it's balance. A sleeping bag is this big limp bit of kit with something inside that may or may not keep us warm, last one season or many and possibly save our life. Read his newsletters. Again, Jerry doesn't pull any punches. But you will understand more about whats inside everybodie's product. I once briefly owned a Rover 2000 TC. I had to sort out some wiring and remove the rear seat. Some previous occupant had stashed a pipe and large bag of hash in there :shock: . I've always investigated the insides of my possessions ever since :wink:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have a ME mil TDS, zero rated, superb bit of kit. I have used several bags over the years (inc Buffalo System) but this is as near to perfect as your gonna get, good warm/weight ratio, very good design and compresses fairly small.
The expanding panel around the knees is a real boon, this bag combined with my hammock have given the most comfortable nights sleep I have ever had outdoors.
Neil

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
If you only got a fifty to spend i'd go for a mod 90 pattern. I seen them go for next to nothing. i used them for long periods in cold tempatures with no problems. I'd also think about getting some good protection from the ground. :eek:):

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Of course if you wanted to go really light...

http://www.ray-way.com/quilt/index.shtml

I made up one of these quilts, an extra wide one and it weighs 800grams!
Jardine also offers a third layer of insulation (torso sized to save weight) which drops the temp down to about 20F.
The idea is to just wear whatever hat you carry when you sleep.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
I use the mid-range Woodlore Bag and after you get used to the centre rather than side zip it's a very warm bag (certainly in Autumn, as i haven't used it in the depths of winter yet), and always in a tent.

I bought mine a couple of years ago when my snugpak softie 12 died. Only problem I guess is the highish price.

Graham.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE