Winter sleeping kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm in the Market for a new bag also as my Ajungilak Kompakt is a little long in the tooth these days and doesn't loft anywhere near as well as it did.

Anyhow there is a similar sleeping bag thread running over on ETS at the moment and Wiggys gets a favourable mention.
So checking out Wiggys website I came across his Opinion on Snugpak equipment !!! :shock:

follow the link below.

http://www.wiggys.com/legacy/news.cfm

If nothing else it's a useful insight as to how Synthetic sleeping bags are made and what to look for in a synthetic bag.

Cheers

John

L

Little Mole

I just wish they were made of something that didn't stink and that they had legholes...I am not a fan. I've often thought of going out with what I'm wearing (usually about three layers) and a wool blanket.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
A couple of pics. In the first, you can see the woodlore osprey is clearly badged as "Nanok" and no doubt made by them.

bag1.jpg

the next pic you can see the Osprey next to a Swedish Army mess kit (stainless steel by the way :naughty: ) ...for scale. You can swee from the wrinkles and bulges that the bag is compressed, in fact it's as compressed as I'm physically able to get it...

bag2.jpg

Yes, the bag is big, it's heavy too at 2100 grams. But you get what you pay for and with synthetic bags, there is just no way to cut down on size and weight without cutting down on comfort and warmth. Yeah, the snugpaks will be lighter and smaller, but they'll be colder too - unless you get one of a similar weight and size.

The endurance -10 (comfort rated) from nanok weighs in at 2340g but has a double zipper, while the 0 rated bag is 1790g, again wit6h a double zip. The single, centre zipped Osprey is quoted as 2100g (bang on the money according to my kitchen scales) And although Woodlore dont give it a rating, I'd say it falls pretty much in the middle of the two nanok's. The osprey is £125inc, the nanok -10 endurance is £100 from Trek Direct - I'd prolly buy the latter if I was looking again.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Just got the nanok catalogue through the post they say in it that they supply ray mears with bags and in turn he supply's them to the British sas they do look really good bags and cheaper than woodlore and the -25 you can have with the centre zip if you want and there are UK suppliers if anyone wants the addresses.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I've just ordered the 0 and -10 Nanok endurance bags. The plan being that this will cover all uses. When I have the canoe and weight is not an issue I will take both bags and also when it is really cold. It is going to be interesting to see how they are when nested.

Trek Direct are doing a deal when you buy both for £160 including postage and I have been told I should have them for the weekend. I will let you know what I think when they arrive.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Given Jack's budget of £50-£100, preference for green etc see Mountain Equipment TDS Military

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/Outdo...at=MilitarySleepingBags&Page=1&language=en-GB

I have TDS3 wich is -12 Comfort, -18 Extreme, lofts up like it's inflatable, and warm as toast. The Civvy versions (not olive!) are called ME Sleepwalkers and are constantly "Best in Test" in Trail Magazine tests.

If olive green isn't essential, you can get hold of old stock ME down bags that weigh a lot less and pack small for about £110, but see earlier comments about damp!

http://www.cmmonline.co.uk/shop/items/default.asp?id=08308001

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
I can't believe it!!! When i first looked at the outdoor shop the tds2 was £69, when i went on it again it was £90! So i then went and bought it a shop for £90 then i went on the site again and it's £69 again. I've been had, i wonder if i can take the sleeping bag back.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
jack29g said:
I can't believe it!!! When i first looked at the outdoor shop the tds2 was £69, when i went on it again it was £90! So i then went and bought it a shop for £90 then i went on the site again and it's £69 again. I've been had, i wonder if i can take the sleeping bag back.

If the bag is unused you have up to 28 days to ask for your money back, you'd be well within your rights.
Assuming you have the reciept of course.

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
get yourself a snugpak softie 9, excellent quality and packs up small. used one for years most of the year. now i'm old and fat i settle for my ME Snowline...comfort but not cheap

or you can always settle for a good second hand army doss bag. make sure you get the 95 pattern as they are far superior to the old roll-em-in-the-hood type. :super:

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
jack29g said:
describe what you mean by "used" yes i have taken it out of the stuff sack and lay in it. Does this mean i have used it?

By used I mean in field use, if you've just tried it for size etc. that should be fine.

c2518, I can't belive someone who uses a ME snowline could possibly recomend Snugpak, there is no comparrision ME bags are the same price (synthetic) but far better in every rescpect.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i've bought a me military tds 2. Haven't tried it proper yet. What do people think. Is it the rating what it says how long do they last etc. It better be good cleaned my bank account out. (im only 13) i don't get much money

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
jack29g said:
...... Is it the rating what it says how long do they last etc.
Comfort ratings for sleeping bags are very different from manufacturer to manufacturer, as there is no official international standard (yet) for measuring this. A good rule of thumb is to subtract 10 C from the temperature stated by the manufacturer. With other words: if the brochure says that the sleeping bag is rated to minus 25 C, you can usually count on sleeping warm and comfortable in -15 C and be a little cold in -25 C. Different liners and bivi covers can increase the warmth with anything from 2 to 10 degrees.
A good down sleeping bag for winter use should have at least 1,5 kg of down insulation material, preferably more. A synthetic fibre sleeping bag should have at least 2,2 kg of insulation material – preferably more like 3 kg. The heavier the better!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE