Winter skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is bushcraft a seasonal activity?

• Total voters

Roibeard

Nov 8, 2007
waterford/Cork, Ireland
I don't mind a bit of cold weather .
It can give some atmostphere but rain I don't like
It really does make camping just messy.
Its slows everything down and makes preparation so much more important.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Winter gear is more expensive. you also need more skill. I lack both so its summer for me until Im richer and smarter. Or just smarter. I can rob a bank with smarts....

I camped out last december and in june this year the temprature at night was 8c on both nights.

I agree you should always camp within one abitily and kits abililty, but having a good look on the metoffice website can save you having to stay in winter or getting hit by a storm in may. WOOL BLANKETS ARE GREAT, AND CHEAP AND MAKE YOU LOOK HARDCORE:D .

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
I like temperatures below zero. It means I do not run hot as quickly.

I really hate rain. Especially when exposed a lot; In the woods I don't mind rain as much. It also matters a lot if I am walking to get somewhere or just playing the hunter gatherer.

What I hate about heavy perspiration and rain is just the "dirty feeling" of being wet. It can be awful. I guess a week in a rainforest would be interesting for me to see what happens. Just to see if I am able to just stop the battle of trying to stay dry.

One of the most important winter skills must be shopping for suitable clothes ;)

K

kentynet

i think primi and winter are the best times beatse of the quietness and because winter is a challenging season when compared to the rest. it is also a nice to see some difrent weather (snow). i also like spring because of the countryside (especially the woods) busting back into life. hardly any people in woods either in these seasons. also (apart from my house) l think my habitat is very much the woods. :)

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
The Winter time is the only time the wife and I go camping. November
the 15 we will leave on a 6 week horse back hunting trip. If we can't
get it on 4 pack horses or our ridding horses we don't need it

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I was a bit quick to answer this. The macho kicks in :eek: ....you know how it is....;)

I don't mind cold
I don't mind a bit of wet
But as I get older, and more creaky I find that wet and cold really gets to me. Not straight away...but give it a few days...when you are wet and cold to the core, everything you stand in, you sleep in, you cr*p in...you sneeze in is damp...it gets miserable. No chance to dry things off properly sometimes and get on an even keel. It dampens morale and once this is on the slide you're toast (well soggy bread anyway).

I love crisp dry winters.

But long spells of wet make my bones ache......add a bit of wind and a week of this starts to tickle Miss Misery.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
For me the magic is in having a good small fire to keep warm by, give me that and I can take all the muck the day throws at me.
I also belive like ost of you that winter and autum in the mountans is the best time to go, crisp clear mornings, sometimes some mist wonderful

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
I like a dry cold adventure (looking forward to wild camping at Killin in New Year - Big Snow last time!), but there's something about waking up under a tarp, having to put on loads of clothes and damp jackets etc and going out in driving rain that makes me remember camping in the bush in Zimbabwe very fondly - I carried one blanket, one pot, one SAK and that was my camp - it's amazing how far you can walk when your entire kit (and food) fits into a small day sack...

Ede

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I love the fact that we have got 70% on,
"Bring it on, chuck me some cats and dogs, me and Jack frost can roast 'em"
getting out in the winter is essential my favourite time to be out and about.

Any thoughts on the fact that the human body is inherently waterproof?

I love being out, whatever the weather, but you've got to be dressed for it coz you'd look a tit in shorts when it's -10C!

My experience is that you can only get so wet, then you reach a sort of equilibrium of dampness and dryness.

Equilibrium of dampness? sounds like a Bond movie title!

Sep 27, 2008
Britain
Nothing quite like camping in the woods in November, huddled under a shelter whilst it rains... as long as youve got a decent fire thats an unbeatable feeling.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Winter's our favorite time to camp. No bugs, no people, no worries about fires, and water everywhere. We have two different Egyptian cotton tents that are very cozy with a tent stove:

IMG_4712.jpg

My wife, son and I spent a minus 10 fahrenheit night in this shelter. We were comfortable, but we sure used a lot of firewood.

IMG_0760.jpg

There's an island we camp on year round, except when the ice is too thin to walk on but too thick to bust through:

IMG_0565_1.jpg

A buddy and I had a bushplane drop us off on a ridge in Alaska, we stayed there for ten days hunting moose. Didn't have a thermometer, but it was cold:

unknown.jpg

Twice now we've spent nights in igloos. If you can get your sleeping platform higher than the top of the door, they're comfortable, and they don't flap in the wind like tents, so we slept well:

IMG_0687.jpg

Hope I didn't overdo it with the pictures.

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
I voted to roast the cats and dogs, yum yum yum lol.

I'm actually in the middle of planning a camping trip later this month in the mountains near where I live

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE