winter clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
chriss is dead on, I love my capote, if you want address for pattern let me know. my woman made mine in a weekend , and she can hardly get it off me!!.

leon-1

ChrisKavanaugh said:
What we are looking for is a coat that can grow along with the wearer. I am thinking of the Capote blanket coat worn by many re enactors of the 18th century eastern US woodland tradition. It's basically a wrap around robe with hood made of your excellent Whitney blankets. These are @ $200 USD assembled, but patterns are available and any decent wool blanket can be used. Maximum length is 50 " neck to hem. I figure the sleeves can be hemmed back and let out later, and the length will simply get shorter from a maximum full lenght to a 3/4 coat. The sash adjusts the waist and a larger chest size will just be a little loose. Ragweedforge has a few links to re enactor catalogs if this is a viable option.

Chris correct me if I am wrong, I seem to recall reading about these in one of my books, if it wasn't these it was something similair, the book is Wildwoods Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger, he actually outlines how to make one, I can't check from here because I am at work and the book is at home :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Not sure about anyone followng them, mind you, you did say "most anyone" lol....I tried to make a pair of moccasins from one of his patterns....nothing wrong with the pattern...that was great....I just couldn't follow it....lol ended up with fur everywhere! :rolmao:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
If anyone is going to make a capote, let me offer a couple pieces of advice. first make it ankle length . mine is and I can't tell you how much better it is . you can install snaps to shorten it like I did for "yomping"around. here is a supplier of permanant waterrepellent treatment, they also offer other useful stuff,I recommend you guys ckeck them out. www.atsko.com . yes, make yourself a capote ,yyou won't be sorry.
'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE