winter clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i'm looking for a warm winter coat at a cheap price ( i'm only 13 and still growing) i would like one that could be worn anywhere not just when bushcrafting. Any ideas???

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
US ARMY M65 FISHTAIL PARKA - REMOVE LINER AND HOOD FOR SUMMER.

As for wearing anywhere, ever hear of the MODS?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
get a water proof thats on the big side and wear lots of layers under it. Far more adaptable then a single very warm layer

edit due to gary's post

Gary can you get army kit that would fit a 13year old?

zen

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2004
Dorset
You could try a US army M65 Field Jacket. These can be bought new for about £40. Make sure you get a military spec one though.

Do a google or ebay search for M65 jacket and you should get loads of info. :biggthump

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Andy said:

Depends how big a 13 year old. Seriously issue stuff does go fairly small now and there is always cadet stuff in the UK.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Yep, layers always seem to be the best. I have reletively cheap clothing comparitively, but the number one thing is a waterproof.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Andy said:
get a water proof thats on the big side and wear lots of layers under it. Far more adaptable then a single very warm layer

edit due to gary's post

Im looking into it Andy, UK kit no problems but US stuff is proving trickey ON THE SMALL SIZES, my lad is 13 and wheres a medium M65 so no problem while my girl is 16 and very small and thats hard to fine.

Good point on the layering - several layers are far better for imsulatiion but you need a windproof outer, of course a cheap old Nylon waterproof will do just as well as a £200+ ventile is used with care.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Gary said:
Im looking into it Andy, UK kit no problems but US stuff is proving trickey ON THE SMALL SIZES, my lad is 13 and wheres a medium M65 so no problem while my girl is 16 and very small and thats hard to fine.

I didn't think you were old enough to have a 16year old girl. Do the US have cadet gear?
Does army come in womens fit these days. there seem to be a fair number of women in the forces these days

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
Gary said:
....while my girl is 16 and very small and thats hard to fine.

Just a thought, but Tesco do an M65 copy in their 'young persons' range in cotton and with a quilted liner for about £22.
Obviously not as hard wearing as the real thing but looks fair for the money and IS in sizes from 5 - 6 yrs and upto 13 yrs, I think.

jakunen

Native
Gary said:
... of course a cheap old Nylon waterproof will do just as well as a £200+ ventile is used with care.
Trouble with that is as they don't breath so water vapour builds up and you get damp, which in winter is a big no-no. In freeezing conidtions you can ice up. Better to get a cheap cotton jakect and proof it with something like Super-Pel or NiKwax proofing (Adi, which one was it?).

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
jakunen said:
Trouble with that is as they don't breath so water vapour builds up and you get damp, which in winter is a big no-no. In freeezing conidtions you can ice up. Better to get a cheap cotton jakect and proof it with something like Super-Pel or NiKwax proofing (Adi, which one was it?).

Your right Jakunen but it would be a cheap option for the lad, waterproof and windproof in one.

Of course I would really recommend a M65 but it depends on his size and how much use he'd get out of it.

AND THANKS ANDY ..........WHAT YOU AFTER? :wink:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I can say from lots of personal exsperience that m65,s are rain sponges uless you repeatedly treat them with water-repellent, are'nt your camo smocks better?.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
I'm another person to say layering is good. In bad weather I use two cheap kags, and that seems to work fairly well.
And as for women's clothing - who cares if it was made for a bloke? If it fits, wear it. Half of my wardrobe is supposedly mens clothing, but I prefer that because then I have pockets that are actually usable.

leon-1

The guys (and Gal) are correct in saying layer system and as far as surplus stuff is concerned pound for pound you can't get better value as it is reasonably priced.

Sizes small enough to fit a 13 year old, remember not all members of the armed forces are massive (you only need to look at the Gurkha's to see that) and they have to have sizes that will fit pretty much anyone.

Andy, the armed forces have had women in them for years now so there are specific peices of uniform for women, but you will find the normal stuff (lightweights, combats and the like) are the same if you are male or female :wink:

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
In most items of clothing made for women that I have found the pockets are ridiculously small. Admittedly I don't really own anything made specifically for outdoors because it tends to be out of my price range (and I refuse to wear DPM), and I don't even own a coat (hence layering!), so I can't really comment on outdoors clothing for women.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
What we are looking for is a coat that can grow along with the wearer. I am thinking of the Capote blanket coat worn by many re enactors of the 18th century eastern US woodland tradition. It's basically a wrap around robe with hood made of your excellent Whitney blankets. These are @ $200 USD assembled, but patterns are available and any decent wool blanket can be used. Maximum length is 50 " neck to hem. I figure the sleeves can be hemmed back and let out later, and the length will simply get shorter from a maximum full lenght to a 3/4 coat. The sash adjusts the waist and a larger chest size will just be a little loose. Ragweedforge has a few links to re enactor catalogs if this is a viable option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE