Wear resistance of fabrics in waterproofs, esp. Paramo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How does the wear rates of different paramo waterproofs and other membrane waterproof fabrics compare? I've got a 4 year old velez adventure lite that's been used for cycle commuting, walking and general use for 4 years. It's marked black on the lower back where my black rucksack rests when commuting on bike. It's looking worn a bit thin there too. Washing by hand didn't clean it neither.

My ancient event jacket lasted longer, my berghaus goretex Pro jacket looks worn after similar 4 years. My partner has a cheap berghaus waterproof that lasted probably twice as long and still going. I think it could be goretex but might not be.

What about your waterproofs? How long do they last before looking worn? Do other paramo models last longer? I'm just curious whether paramo fabrics really last longer than membrane fabrics because I'm not sure how much more life is left in my velez AL. I am looking at potentially getting another paramo but thinking a membrane jacket might be better.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's a lot said about these fabrics thats just plain misleading.
Gore Tex for instance. I have one very lightweight gore tex jacket and a couple with pretty heavyweight and strong, abraision resistant fabric.
One of those was given to me by a cable jointer and is spark, fire resistant as well as being waterproof. Proper tough jacket.

I also have a Tilak Odin Ventile jacket and its not even close to being as tough as the cable jointers jacket. Don't get me wrong, I like my Ventile Tilak Odin jacket, but it's not as tough and not even close to being as waterproof as my Gore Tex jackets.

It depends a lot on the fabric, some are very thin and lightweight and some are very hardwearing.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Very good question, on the whole artificial fabrics like nylon, pertex, and what have you are very durable compared to their natural equivalents but I will say this, their waterproofing qualities are not. I do have a couple of Buffalo items that have made the grade over a score of years or so, and a paramo smock at the same age. Mind you I am wearing woolen items that are well older than that.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Woollen items bought for the outdoors use don't last me much more than a year of use. Cheap or expensive hasn't seemed to affect this, the abrasion / wear resistance of tissue paper, wet tissue paper at that!

I'm guessing talking about goretex as one fabric isn't right, paclite vs some of the better goretex pro varieties are clearly extremes of wear resistance and durability. Is it the same with paramo? Fir example are the halkon birdwatcher jackets highly durable outer layer but the alta3 a bit less and the velez adventure lite at the opposite end? Or are their current fabrics about ad durable.

I notice that all their product blurb on waterproof varieties states 4 hours resistance to heavy, 5 times stronger than UK average, rain for all waterproof products. I only have velez adventure lite and an alta 1 from mid 90s. The older jacket has fabric that is twice as heavy and thick I reckon. That's even the thickness of the pump liner being thicker too.

No idea of modern alta3 or other models vs my 4 yo velez AR. I'd have thought my jacket is a thinner outer fabric layer and inner pump liner than say alta 3 or cascada or halkon, but I really don't know.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Goretex itself is just a very thin membrane, it's the fabric bonded to it that's really going to decide how durable it is.

I have a paramo smock, and while it's been waterproof (enough) it's quite warm, more like wearing a thin fleece along with the jacket.

It's pretty ideal for use in the winter though, particularly if it's snowing

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Paramo has different weight outer fabric, and over time has used different outer fabrics. A friend had a Halcyon and it looked dead strange compared to my old Alta. Paramo tends to use polyester rather than nylon.

With your Paramo Velez lite, you could get some reinforcing fabric and sew on a patch....can't do that with Goretex.

Might even be able to send to Paramo for repair.

I have a paramo Fuera that about 4 years old now, pretty good at what it does and the odd wash in nikwax tx wash in fixes the dwr.
I also have a custom made smock from Extreme outdoor clothing(no longer around) that's a heavy duty buffalo type tactel outer. Narvik fleece inner, still going strong after about 18 years use.
Neither are 100% waterproof, The extreme smock is used when I'm in the woods most, but I also run the paramo under an arktis smock (Fjallraven waxed on hood shoulder and forearms)
The combo keeps me pretty dry

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I have a Velez Adventure Light smock too. It must be around 12-13 years old now.

I also use it for wet cycle commuting (with panniers, not rucksack), walking etc.

I rate it very highly.

It is a very versatile jacket that has been more hard wearing than I expected it to be. I would not expect it to stand up to construction or factory site work for long, though.

I have a used Austrian Army Surplus goretex type jacket which has a tough outer layer, but has de-laminated in places.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE